Minimum age for head in Blue Book

1 hour ago, offset said:

Thank you everybody for you advice I think the only thing I can do is try to get a Certificate of Residency when I Need a prove of address,

If you have a "Work permit" this should be sufficient for prove of address too.

But you may find it difficult changing the address in WP, if you don't have a copy of the persons Thai ID card who is the named head in the Blue Book.

8 hours ago, Delight said:

I am a Farang without PR and have my name in my blue book

My name was entered in the blue book -prior to marriage

This is very interesting! 

Could you please tell us the year this was done and in which part of Thailand. Thanks.

1 hour ago, Morakot said:

This is very interesting! 

Could you please tell us the year this was done and in which part of Thailand. Thanks.

My book tells me 2551 (2008) 

My name was entered into the book at Banglamung City Hall.

Luckily there were no Farang to advise me. At the time I was not aware of the yellow book option.

The girl advised me that my name can only be written on the inside of the cover. It cannot go on the main pages

12 hours ago, offset said:

Thank you everybody for you advice I think the only thing I can do is try to get a Certificate of Residency when I Need a prove of address,

That will work just fine for you but your son can also not get a copy of Tabien baan signed by Chao baan and he cannot be moved

This is probably not going to be a problem for quite a few years but this will eventually have to be fixed one day 

9 hours ago, Delight said:

My book tells me 2551 (2008) 

My name was entered into the book at Banglamung City Hall.

Luckily there were no Farang to advise me. At the time I was not aware of the yellow book option.

The girl advised me that my name can only be written on the inside of the cover. It cannot go on the main pages

Are you legally registered in a blue tabien baan at that address or not?

On 16/08/2016 at 7:59 PM, MikeyIdea said:

I wonder what the common sense of that is :) 

"Common sense", one of the corner stones in common law thought --- an alien concept in most civil law jurisdictions; Thailand here is not an exception. :coffee1:

6 hours ago, MikeyIdea said:

Are you legally registered in a blue tabien baan at that address or not?

My name and address  are registered in my blue book. That must make it legal

Today I took my blue book to Pattaya City Hall (I incorrectly referred to Banglamung City Hall in an earlier post)

The object was to enter my wife's name.

Our request was refused -she already owns a house in Thailand. 

I was fully expecting the official to see my name and cry out loud.

She did not.

That tells me that my name in the blue  book is legal . No mistakes,by a Thai official, were made in 2008 -the year when my name was entered

7 minutes ago, Delight said:

My name and address  are registered in my blue book. That must make it legal

[...]

I was fully expecting the official to see my name and cry out loud.

Why would they raise objections? There are valid circumstances were a non-national could be named in the Blue book.

I suspect, the official who entered your name did not understand the procedure.  I certainly would not complain!

May I ask, are you fluent in Thai or strike an impression otherwise that you are a long-term resident, who might as well hold PR status?

Edited by Morakot

3 hours ago, Morakot said:

Why would they raise objections? There are valid circumstances were a non-national could be named in the Blue book.

I suspect, the official who entered your name did not understand the procedure.  I certainly would not complain!

May I ask, are you fluent in Thai or strike an impression otherwise that you are a long-term resident, who might as well hold PR status?

I can speak Thai  to a limited degree. I can read Thai again to some limited degree.  

I assume PR means permanent residence. . No I am just a Expat living on a Visa extension 

If you have a property with a blue book -suggest that you attempt to get your name on it.

Only then wiill you be satisfied

@delight,

Having someone insert your name in the cover of a blue book is not the same as having your name registered in the book.

Your details (name/address) have not been registered on the Civilian registration database.

I'll repeat, a foreigner cannot be registered in a Blue House book unless he has PR status and is married to a Thai.

His wife's name will be recorded first as the principal house book holder (Chow Baan), the foreigner with PR as an additional house member.

A foreigner cannot be named as the principal holder of a Blue book, that is reserved for Thais only. (Chow Baan)

A foreigner purchasing a Condo will be issued a Blue book, but his name will not appear on any of the pages.

It was only in 2008 that they amended the Civil Registration Act to allow foreigners to register.

A Yellow book is issued to denote you do not have Thai Nationality

Again, there is no rule that you have to be married. Sorry, marriage or not has nothing to do with it

You cannot complete your PR process without being in a blue book =  your PR actually becomes void if you don't move in to a blue book within a specified number of days, that is why amphur even have a process where they send back information to immigration when they process registering a foreigner in the blue book. 1) Every PR holder in Thailand is not married 2) You can apply for PR also if you are not married. If your rule about marriage were true, then you would pay for your PR and then lose it again unless you married. It is not so

If you have a PR and your wife is Chao baan, then you two and a Thai witness can go down to amphur and your wife can use her rights as Chao Baan to make you Chao baan if she wants 

The confusion here may be that amphur always put the foreign PR in as poo assai (just living there) in the blue book first, then change status to Chao baan if current Chao baan agrees

I am Chao baan in my blue tabien baan and I have never been married in Thailand

You are absolutely correct about  @delight  though

Edited by MikeyIdea

@MikeyIdea

I agree marital status has nothing to do with a foreigner being registered on the Civil Register, you can obtain a Yellow book regardless of marital status.

Only Thai nationals can be named and issued a blue book, with the exception of foreigners with PR status who are allowed to be added to a blue book in the case where they are married to a Thai national and the wife appears as the Chow Baan.

A foreign national obtaining PR status does not make them a Thai citizen and such they should not be issued a Blue book based on receiving PR status. Even with PR status you are still under Immigration control.

Your second paragraph is full of nonsense.

One of my closest associates worked in Thailand for many, many years and received PR status many years ago, before Yellow books were introduced for foreigners. It was only after he married he was allowed to be added to his wife's Blue book.

That information is confirmed by my local Amphur.

If as you maintain, you are single,  have PR status, and own a Blue book where you are solely named as the Chow Baan, then you are very fortunate indeed, but I'd suggest your Amphur made a mistake and it is an exception to the rule.

There are many PR holders, it would be interesting to know if any others claim to be the sole possessor of a Blue book, or indeed comments to the contrary.

Let's see where we don't understand each other. But to be honest, i think there is more too. You still insist that the wife must be Chao baan

Quote: Only Thai nationals can be named and issued a blue book, with the exception of foreigners with PR status who are allowed to be added to a blue book in the case where they are married to a Thai national and the wife appears as the Chow Baan

I don't know if you are quoting outdated rules. Current rules are indeed that you to keep your PR status you must be added to a blue tabien baan, it is not that you are allowed to be added, you must be added.

To your comment about that my second paragraph is nonsense. Educated people do due diligence before coming with strong comments like that. Please find out current rules before you post in the future. You were hard so I was hard, I will now use a normal tone again, up to you what you will use

Here we agree: You are first added as poo asai - with the consent of Chao baan of course. There is one exception: If you already are Chao baan in the yellow book, then you go into the blue book as Chao baan directly

Marriage has nothing to do with this  

The yellow and the blue book follow exactly the same rules with one exception: Blue is for Thai citizens and PR and yellow is for aliens

My case: The old Chao baan signed over Chao baan to me already when I was in the yellow book = there was no Chao baan in the blue book. When I got my PR then I as Chao baan simply signed to move myself and Chao baan to the blue book

I can as Chao baan kick everybody out of the blue book if I want and thereby be the only one left

I don't want to do that :)

Mickey,

Having just spoken to the Boss of my Amphur, who's English is very good, I now see where discrepancies happen within Amphurs.

I'll concede it is very possible that you are the sole possessor of a Blue book where you are named as the Chow Baan.

The discrepancy is due to the translation of the key to the Tabian Baan numbers.

I have a Yellow book, no PR status, my prefix number therefore begins with 6.

As a person with PR status your prefix number will begin with 8.

The translation of prefix numbers states the number 8 is for 'Former Aliens who's original nationality was converted to Thai after May 1st 1984'.

It appears some Amphurs (in the absence of a relevant prefix number specifically for PR status) deem the prefix 8 (PR status) as obtaining Thai Nationality and issued a Blue Book accordingly. Of course there is a significant difference between obtaining PR and Nationality, but it is how the individual Amphur interprets the Guidance notes.

The Guidance for Amphurs is either very poorly worded, or poorly translated.

As for being harsh, perhaps you should have proof read what you have posted.

You cannot complete your PR process without being in a blue book =  your PR actually becomes void if you don't move in to a blue book within a specified number of days, that is why amphur even have a process where they send back information to immigration when they process registering a foreigner in the blue book. 1) Every PR holder in Thailand is not married 2) You can apply for PR also if you are not married. If your rule about marriage were true, then you would pay for your PR and then lose it again unless you married. It is not so

I think you mean you must obtain your PR before you can be in a blue book............and yes, the specified number of days to be registered in a blue book is 10 days after obtaining PR. It is impossible to be put in a blue book without the PR status.

The horse must come before the cart.

As you already stated marriage does not come into the equation, so 1) I think was a typo error.

I understand what you meant to say, but I'm sure many are totally confused and bored with our conversation.

Yes, I learned something a little new from your posts and my own research, and as they say anything is possible in Thailand.