Thai police: Bomb suspects remain at large, declares country is back to normal

rooster59

Thai police: Bomb suspects remain at large, declares country is back to normal

tr.jpg

Image: Thairath

BANGKOK:-- Thailand’s deputy police chief said that those responsible for the co-ordinated bomb attacks in southern Thailand remain at large.

Speaking at a video briefing on Saturday morning, Pol Gen Pongsapat Pongcharoen said there have so far been no arrests in connection with the attacks and denied that two suspects were in police custody.

Regarding the reports that two people had been arrested, Pol Gen Pongsapat “we only questioned some of the witnesses. We have not detained anyone”.

He also said the results of DNA evidence taken from the locations of the bomb blasts will be ready by Sunday and that police expect to issue arrest warrants soon.

He added that he believes those responsible are still in Thailand.

Pol Gen Pongsapat said that while police did not believe the bombings were an escalation of the violence in the south, the devices used were similar and could be have been supplied by the same group of people.

Pol Gen Pongsapat ended the press briefing by saying that the situation in Thailand had now returned to normal as there had been no further incidents.

He told people they no longer needed to be scared and could go about their lives as normal.

He added that police had no reports of threats at other locations.

HH1.jpg

A quieter than normal Hua Hin on Saturday morning

Meanwhile in Hua Hin, people were slowly trying to return to normal after the double bomb attack left two people dead and more than twenty injured.

On Saturday, the town’s Market Village shopping centre opened for business, as did many of the restaurants and bars that had closed in the hours after the bomb attacks the previous day.

There still remained a larger than usual police presence around the town, and areas which would normally be busy with people on a Saturday of a holiday weekend, close to the beach, market and Market Village were much quieter than usual.

The manager of a hotel on Naresdamri road, close to where first bomb attacks took place on Thursday night said via an interpreter that she was not worried about her safety following the attacks but was worried about the impact it would have on her business.

She said out 14 bookings for this weekend, 5 had cancelled, while 3 others had simply not checked in and 2 other bookings had arrived on Saturday morning, a day later than planned.

tvn_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2016-08-13

• Replies 134
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

"She said out 14 bookings for this weekend, 5 had cancelled, while 3 others had simply not checked in and 2 other bookings had arrived on Saturday morning, a day later than planned"

Goodness me. This is the subjective data that some on this forum fall back on to gauge tourist arrivals. We will only see the impact of this violence on tourist numbers when looking at tangible objective data. In other words facts!

I would not be so quick to say don't be scared. I understand they have a job to do in creating calm, but I would certainly still be on edge at the moment.

Thai authorities hunt for suspects after spate of bombings kills 4

By AFP

afp_9.jpg

An injured woman is carried away from the scene of a bombing in Hua Hin, Thailand. Photo: AFP

Thai authorities on Saturday hunted for culprits behind a wave of bombings targeting the country's key tourism sector, as businesses in top destinations braced for the full impact.

The kingdom was on edge after 11 small bombs exploded across five southern provinces on Thursday night and Friday morning, killing four locals and wounding more than 30 people -- including foreign tourists.

The bombs, most of them detonated in twin blasts, struck key tourism hubs during a long weekend, including the seaside resort town of Hua Hin and the island of Phuket.

Full story: http://bangkok.coconuts.co/2016/08/13/thai-authorities-hunt-suspects-after-spate-bombings-kill-4

coconts_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Coconuts Bangkok 2016-08-13

9 minutes ago, djjamie said:

"She said out 14 bookings for this weekend, 5 had cancelled, while 3 others had simply not checked in and 2 other bookings had arrived on Saturday morning, a day later than planned"

Goodness me. This is the subjective data that some on this forum fall back on to gauge tourist arrivals. We will only see the impact of this violence on tourist numbers when looking at tangible objective data. In other words facts!

I would not be so quick to say don't be scared. I understand they have a job to do in creating calm, but I would certainly still be on edge at the moment.

Yes, no need to be scared or on edge, your hero's have it in hand!

Again more utter stupidity in the statements, I fail to see the correlation between a gang of terrorist bombers not yet in custody yet the country back to normal (whatever that is). I'd have thought that until all the bombers and their backers are in chains that the situation is actually incredibly unstable, and there is more than a fair chance of further attacks in the not too distant future :facepalm:

In Europe they have negativ traveladvice for Thailand now. It was on tv.

Also many tourists who wanted to leave Hua Hin or Thailand in general.

How can they say all is safe without arresting the bombers? Did they promise to never do it again? Is there allready a reward from some millions for the police whenever they catch a bomber?

51 minutes ago, djjamie said:

You are the first post in the thread.  Nobody said a thing about tourist numbers.  

Are you suggesting the female hotelier quoted in the article, is lying about the current state of her bookings?  

Best you return to your parallel universe and argue with your imaginary friends.

So there we have it, some truth at last. They've caught nobody, and nobody has been arrested for this.

There have been reports from major news organisations around the world including the BBC stating 2 people were arrested, these reports came out late last night and were reported widely around the world, turns out they were a pile of horsesh!t.

bbc-bomber-arrests.jpg

Edited by ukrules
Add image of incorrect report from BBC

Around 24 hours after the bombs went off.....no arrests made....bombers still at large...and the country is "back to normal".....unbelievable....and off course Thai plod have had "no reports of other bombs"....so do they assume then that there aren't any.....(more):cheesy::cheesy:...probably because "we haven't had any more reports...

....Oooohh wait a minute what was that loud explosion I just heard?......sorry people we have just had a report of another bomb.....why can't these bombers time these things with our press statements...:cheesy::cheesy:

1 hour ago, Caveat Emptor said:

Back to normal and why not,  the Erawan scene was fully examined and concreted over in under 17 hours  !

The fact that evidence was still being found days later was of no consequence.

Exactly and thats also the reason why often those culprits get away with it.

9 minutes ago, ukrules said:

So there we have it, some truth at last. They've caught nobody, and nobody has been arrested for this.

There have been reports from major news organisations around the world including the BBC stating 2 people were arrested, these reports came out late last night and were reported widely around the world, turns out they were a pile of horsesh!t.

I bet they arrest 2 more bombers today...and it will be on the news again in Europe.

Also i saw the lady from TAT on tv ( the one from the hub-plans), she spoke to a blond girl laying in a hospitalbed.

TAT-lady said: I'm very sorry this has happened to you.

Blond girl replied: Yes, you can't help it.

:thumbsup: