Japanese restaurant?

mike111

Mates,

I'm on the hunt for a good quality Japanese restaurant, ideally a buffet style, but could be a sit-down as well.

What's the current take on Oishi vs. Fuji in central festival? 

Any other interesting options?

Cheers

If you are in to good quality Japanese food, neither Oishi nor Fuji would be appropriate.  Sadly, it's what we've got here.  Fuji is OK in a pinch, I'm not fond of Oishi.  But I'm also not a fan of Japanese buffets. 

There are some pretty good Japanese restaurants in Sri Racha.  But finding them is not easy.  Quite a large Japanese expat population there.

That place looks interesting, JT!  I'll try to stop by next week.  Thanks!

^^^ There is a new branch of Tsunami near the corner of Chaiyapreuk and Sukumvit that will probably be more convenient for you.

There's another sort of Japanese-style fish buffet place opposite too.

Not sure that either is really 100% Japanese, though that doesnt make them bad.

Zen and Aka (Central Beach) are both fine but not buffets. Many expats and local Japanese like the hole in the wall place in the alley next to Tuk Com (I'm sure someone will pipe in with the name.) Really authentic place run by Japanese fella with a large selection of Manga comics ???

The place near Tukcom is pretty good for most dishes but in my opinion their sushi is a weak part of their menu. Also it's got a nice friendly almost bohemian vibe.

This place is more hard core Japanese, a branch of a Sriracha restaurant, but definitely on the expensive side.

https://www.tripadvisor.com/Restaurant_Review-g293919-d6700108-Reviews-Anego-Pattaya_Chonburi_Province.html

The location in the link is wrong.

It USED to be on Pattaya beach road (north part) but they moved years ago to the "Korean" mini mall off 2nd road in North Pattaya.

The one with Burger King on the corner, north of Big C, west side of 2nd road, you walk into the mall, Anego is in the back of it, left side. 

It's not a traditional mall. It's a walking pathway with businesses on both sides. Mostly Korean business but a number of others as well. Mostly quite good places. A foodie destination for sure. 

Edited by Jingthing

If you are looking for quality and premium sashimi, Zen (in Central) is the place to go. Lots

of smaller places with average (at best sashimi). I try to avoid them. Fuji is the second best.

You get what you pay for ...

luudee

10 minutes ago, Jiu-Jitsu said:

The only place to which I go, is ANEGO in Sri Racha.  Nigiri from other establishments are pitiful in comparison.

I've seen that posted here before multiple times I think. Perhaps by you.

But based on what information?

Have you even been to the new location of Anego in Pattaya, and if so, when?

In my experiences, restaurants are dynamic. They get better and worse over timw. 

2 minutes ago, Jingthing said:

I've seen that posted here before multiple times I think. Perhaps by you.

But based on what information?

Have you even been to the new location of Anego in Pattaya, and if so, when?

In my experiences, restaurants are dynamic. They get better and worse over timw. 

What is this wordy nonsense?

Do you imagine that I would make such a comment without having tried them all?

Have you visited the Sri Racha branch? Go there and ask for 'big size' Nigiri before you make further comment.

4 minutes ago, Jiu-Jitsu said:

What is this wordy nonsense?

Do you imagine that I would make such a comment without having tried them all?

Have you visited the Sri Racha branch? Go there and ask for 'big size' Nigiri before you make further comment.

I'm taking a lack of answer to MY question as pretty strong evidence that it's been a very long time since you visited any Pattaya Anego restaurant, much less the current location which has been  there for years now. Otherwise, why would you dodge the question and get so obnoxiously defensive. I never doubted that you know the Sri Racha location. I do doubt you've had any recent experience with the Pattaya one. I'm right about that, yes? 

It's entirely possible your comparison of the two locations remains correct, but without recent experience of the Pattaya location, it may not be. 

I comment A LOT about local restaurants. When my experience of a place is VERY DATED, I try to be clear to mention that so that my comments may be discounted based on that fact.

Generally places go downhill more often than they go uphill, but I have seen places improve. It happens. 

Edited by Jingthing

On 14/08/2016 at 6:27 AM, Jingthing said:

The place near Tukcom is pretty good for most dishes but in my opinion their sushi is a weak part of their menu. Also it's got a nice friendly almost bohemian vibe.

This place is more hard core Japanese, a branch of a Sriracha restaurant, but definitely on the expensive side.

https://www.tripadvisor.com/Restaurant_Review-g293919-d6700108-Reviews-Anego-Pattaya_Chonburi_Province.html

The location in the link is wrong.

It USED to be on Pattaya beach road (north part) but they moved years ago to the "Korean" mini mall off 2nd road in North Pattaya.

The one with Burger King on the corner, north of Big C, west side of 2nd road, you walk into the mall, Anego is in the back of it, left side. 

It's not a traditional mall. It's a walking pathway with businesses on both sides. Mostly Korean business but a number of others as well. Mostly quite good places. A foodie destination for sure. 

The restaurant on the side road next to TukCom is called Osaka Restaurant.

A post has been removed:

7) You will respect fellow members and post in a civil manner. No personal attacks, hateful or insulting towards other members, (flaming) Stalking of members on either the forum or via PM will not be allowed.

18 hours ago, Jingthing said:

I'm taking a lack of answer to MY question as pretty strong evidence that it's been a very long time since you visited any Pattaya Anego restaurant, much less the current location which has been  there for years now. Otherwise, why would you dodge the question and get so obnoxiously defensive. I never doubted that you know the Sri Racha location. I do doubt you've had any recent experience with the Pattaya one. I'm right about that, yes? 

It's entirely possible your comparison of the two locations remains correct, but without recent experience of the Pattaya location, it may not be. 

I comment A LOT about local restaurants. When my experience of a place is VERY DATED, I try to be clear to mention that so that my comments may be discounted based on that fact.

Generally places go downhill more often than they go uphill, but I have seen places improve. It happens. 

Your assumptions are erroneous and your style of posting obnoxious.  

Be very careful eating any uncooked Japanese style food in Thailand. Combine what you have observed re food hygiene with eating raw fish and the risk re food is equivalent to having sex without a condom. So do I do it? 'Er, eat raw fish? Well 'um ....occasionally :). Sometimes I take the 10 baht sushi from the place next to the food hall at Central Festival. For the real stuff I wait till I am in Hong Kong. Otherwise, in Pattaya I am on the prowl for good quality Japanese soup and the Osaka does a good one. The chain Hanichan 8 does a decent cheap version but the noodles are not brilliant.

Edited by SheungWan

16 minutes ago, craigt3365 said:

Just saw a new buffet style place called Fin.  Corner of Sukhumvit and Chaiyaphruek.  299 without sushi, 499 with.  Neighbor said it was quite good.

That's the one I mentioned earlier in this thread. The other branch of Tsunami is directly opposite.

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/937564-japanese-restaurant/?do=findComment&comment=11049234