Imam, associate fatally shot after leaving NYC mosque

rooster59

Imam, associate fatally shot after leaving NYC mosque

JENNIFER PELTZ, Associated Press

NEW YORK (AP) — The leader of a New York City mosque and an associate were fatally shot in a brazen daylight attack as they left afternoon prayers Saturday.

Police said 55-year-old Imam Maulama Akonjee and his 64-year-old associate, Tharam Uddin, were shot in the back of the head as they left the Al-Furqan Jame Masjid mosque in the Ozone Park section of Queens shortly before 2 p.m.

Both men were pronounced dead later Saturday, an administrator at Jamaica Hospital said.

Police said no motive has been established and there is no reason to believe the men were shot because they were Muslim. No suspects are in custody.

"There's nothing in the preliminary investigation to indicate that they were targeted because of their faith," said Deputy Inspector Henry Sautner of the New York Police Department.

The mosque serves a community of Bangladeshi immigrants.

Shahin Chowdhury, a worshipper at the mosque, said members of the community had felt animosity lately, with people cursing while passing the mosque. He said he had advised fellow community members to be careful walking around, especially when in traditional clothing.

He called the imam a "wonderful person" with a voice that made his Koran readings especially compelling.

ap_logo.jpg
-- © Associated Press 2016-08-14

Something different in the news, normal its Kafir being targeted.   The imam a "wonderful person", that he might have been.  But quite possibly so was the Priest in France!

1 hour ago, Caps said:

Something different in the news, normal its Kafir being targeted.   The imam a "wonderful person", that he might have been.  But quite possibly so was the Priest in France!

Where is the connection with France?

16 minutes ago, OMGImInPattaya said:

Maybe killed by Isis followers for being one of those "peaceful" apostate muslims...there is a big hit-list of Western muslims on ISIS's radar you know.

Or maybe killed by a small minded bigot who believes that anyone with a beard who isn't a hipster is clearly intent on terrorist activities? There are many of those too - as TV proves daily.

19 minutes ago, ilostmypassword said:

Nonsense. The vast majority of target of Islamic extremists are Muslims.  Such ignorance.

Maybe you should try telling that to the families of the Twin Towers victims.

7 minutes ago, ilostmypassword said:

Maybe you should look up the numbers of Muslms killed by Al Qaeda, Isis, Boka Haram etc..

Firstly, one cannot look up the numbers, as nobody really knows, and secondly, I knew that that was going to be your response.

It still does not justify your calling Caps "ignorant".

7 minutes ago, DoctorG said:

Firstly, one cannot look up the numbers, as nobody really knows, and secondly, I knew that that was going to be your response.

Yes it did justify it. The comment that most of the people killed by islamic extremists are infidels is ignorant.

1 minute ago, DoctorG said:

"Firstly, one cannot look up the numbers, as nobody really knows"

Really?

http://www.globalresearch.ca/muslims-are-the-victims-of-between-82-and-97-of-terrorism-related-fatalities-us-government/5516565

and secondly, I knew that that was going to be your response.

And not only did you know it, but you shared your knowledge with us after the fact. Very impressive I'm thinking of becoming an investment advisor. I'm only going to be recommending stocks that will have performed spectacularly well. I will be recommending them after the fact. But the important point is that I knew in advance. I should make a killing in commissions, right?

1 hour ago, RuamRudy said:

Or maybe killed by a small minded bigot who believes that anyone with a beard who isn't a hipster is clearly intent on terrorist activities? There are many of those too - as TV proves daily.

Or maybe they were shouting "Alahu Akbar" and going at someone and the person executed a Second Amendment remedy.

Edited by OMGImInPattaya

Sadly,this is a sign of the times.it was the same in the UK years ago,at the time of the Irish troubles.To some people,mainly those who were easily persuaded by others,every Irish man was a potential bomber,and killer of innocent women and children.I remember many problems in our local pub,the landlord ws an irish guy.A nicer man you ever could meet.Him and his family had to leave the pub due to the problems of the local Irish haters.I can rember some of our neighbours stopped going to church,because they were convinced that the reverend/priest,was an IRA sympathiser.Just like the war years,every German was a Nazi.

Now we have the same thing with the Muslims. I am of the opinion that most Muslim people would like to live in peace and tolerance,but are afraid to,due to the pressure of radical's around them.

What makes it worse in the USA is that guns are more readily available,and some young American's(some not being the sharpest knife in the draw,i say this because after spending many years there i found it to be true)Who are easily convinced that all Muslims are child sex activists and women haters.

Whether or not,these two people were active in the radical Muslim scene,it cannot be said.But if they were murdered,without proof or cause,it shows that the internal problems and the racial and religious hatred are still with us,but in the USA it carries a gun.

1 hour ago, Khon Kaen Dave said:

I am of the opinion that most Muslim people would like to live in peace and tolerance,but are afraid to,due to the pressure of radical's around them.

Well then you are ignorant of Islam, which call for the slaughter of all non-muslims (there is no Beautitudes in the Quran). In addition, the true views of Muslims (as self-reported in Pew opinion surveys) are diametrically opposed to what you think they think.