Achievements In Thailand

Briggsy

I'm interested to hear success stories involving foreigners living long-term in Thailand. I'm thinking about jobs, learning, personal finances, spiritual progression.

For instance, have you learnt a new vocation whilst staying here, set up a successful business here ,developed new skills or achieved something that you feel is worthy of a mention.

Examples of Achievements that count

Running a marathon

Setting up a small factory and making enough to enhance quality of retirement

Learnt auto mechanics

u]Examples of Achievements that don't count[/u]

Drunk 10,000 bottles of Singha and sh*gged 500 tarts

Missus is under half my age

Learnt how to bribe coppers

Restore my faith!

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I started a business in Thailand with no experience and little money and was immediately attacked by competitors with lots of cash using illegal means to harass me.

Seven years later, I have four branches and dominate the market; they are making nothing while my places thrive. :o

Got married

Got a senior job as a Director in a Thai Government office

Half way through a Master of Laws degree and will finish it early next year. Not an accomplishment yet I know but remaining optimistic :D

Managed to keep all my money offshore and not let anyone persuade me to part with it

Managed to save circa 800k and not be persuaded to part with that either

That'll do for starters :o

Edited by Casanundra

Dont know about the achievements, but being a Manager in Thailand has made me a better person, I dont stress out so much, I manage (IMHO) a lot better now due to THai's intolerance of shouting and swearing. When somebody gets things wrong I used to be "Geez how thick can you be" now I think "wow, I really screwed up explaining that, how else can I show this person how it should be done" I believe I have become more tolerant and I dont swear (as much :o) and I dont raise my voice at all.

- volunteer taught english for 1 year

- raised 2m+ baht for charities and brought a foreign orchestra to perform for a member of the royal family in Thailand

- own condo, car, credit card (3 Cs)

- 2nd in a triathalon, completed some other races in other sports i didn't think I could do

- become fluent Thai speaker (after not speaking it at all as a child)

- (almost) completed a masters degree

- learned to windsurf

- brought joy to my friends, and pain and complete suffering to my sea anoenomies

- decent career, good friends, nice boss, good mentors

- raised the best cat in the world*

For future?

- more charity work

- more money and possessions for myself

- more sporting glory holes

- more for the family

- be a better person and a better leader

* best is an arguable term

I'm interested to hear success stories involving foreigners living long-term in Thailand. I'm thinking about jobs, learning, personal finances, spiritual progression.

For instance, have you learnt a new vocation whilst staying here, set up a successful business here ,developed new skills or achieved something that you feel is worthy of a mention.

Running a marathon

Learnt auto mechanics

Restore my faith!

Nothing springs to mind immediately.

Oh, hang on... how about?..... wait um..... sorry..... no..... nothing.

Some interesting stuff here. Was a bit worried about the machete for a moment!

Some of you guys truly put me to shame.

I've learnt to speak and read Thai.

Saved a few thousand quid.

Learnt enough to be a semi-decent tour guide.

Learnt that giving presentations is much easier than it looks and could probably TEFL anywhere in the world now.

I want to hear more stories.

Keep 'em coming.

(I'm sure there's something, Barney.)

Started a 2 football teams at my school i was working at. They never had one until I started them.

Got married.

Won 2 five aside competitions(i'm the keeper)

Won the Global Airlines soccer nines with the TV team.(saved 2 penalties in the final)

Got married.

Ah, I quit smoking if we're counting that!

Ah, you see Barney I knew there was something. Can you teach me?

You have to check the paint colour, because sometimes Homepro bollockses up the injection mix.

and you go "this is wrong"

and the peon says "Mai shai. Dee mahk ! "

But just insist. The managers there aren't color blind and will order them to do it again.

Good tip.

Ah, I quit smoking if we're counting that!

Ah, you see Barney I knew there was something. Can you teach me?

You have to check the paint colour, because sometimes Homepro bollockses up the injection mix.

and you go "this is wrong"

and the peon says "Mai shai. Dee mahk ! "

But just insist. The managers there aren't color blind and will order them to do it again.

Good tip.

:o:D

I'm halfway through a Henry James novel (and actually enjoying it) and somehow managing, with my talented wife, to build a an upcountry village compound right in the middle of Bangkok:

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/blog/swelters/index.php?

In The Heart Of Bangers,,Makes the other buildings look very shabby..Good on you !!!

Running a marathon

Learnt auto mechanics

Restore my faith!

briggsy, im really starting to like you. :D:o

for example ( drunk 10,000 bottles of singa and sh*gged 500 tarts ) :D:D:D

thats frigging priceless mate. :D

I started a business in Thailand with no experience and little money and was immediately attacked by competitors with lots of cash using illegal means to harass me.

Seven years later, I have four branches and dominate the market; they are making nothing while my places thrive. :o

cricky's mr G,

i know why you dominate the market as the competitors are <deleted> scared you will attack them with that killer baton of yours. :D:D:D

cheers mr G. :D

I forgot to mention that I quit drinking.

cricky's mate,

thats got to be about the hardest thing to achieve does'nt it, especially here in los were everybody likes to have a shandie including the bloody soi dogs.

got any good tips to achieve that not so easy feat. ?

cheers :o

ps. i was out with dave tyler last night and got no cigaretts left. :D

how are you dave. ?

cheers mate :D

•Participated in the management of 4 major construction project that are key to Thailand energy and manufacturing future.

•Continue management involvement in 3 similar ongoing projects

•Purchased condo with cash saving

•Nephew-in-law first person in family to finish Thai equivalent of high school, now enrolled in tech school.

•5 other children are assured the financial security to continue school as long as they want.

•Wife owns business, something she had dreamed of her whole life.

TH

cricky's mate,

thats got to be about the hardest thing to achieve does'nt it, especially here in los were everybody likes to have a shandie including the bloody soi dogs.

how are you dave. ?

Never kick the soi dogs Terry ... never kick the dogs :D

Ive achieved a mini pissup with the man, the myth, the legend, the elusive, the one and only T57 .. that just about tops the lot in my book ... :D

ok,

here's my 10 minutes of fame in the mighty los.

1. started the second dive buisness on koh tao from 1988 and sold my 33 percent share in 1995.

2. saved myself from being bitten by a 4 metre king cobra on koh phan gan. ( not bitten)

3. survived a head on collision between a taxi and a police car in phuket. :D ( very lucky then punters)

4. i think my biggest achievement was to live amougn'st only thai people in the very early days on koh phan gan. i loved them and they loved me as i always put back into the thai community.

i learnt so much about the real thai that has left a life long impression and i cant wait to finally live here full time. ( im getting close)

5. managing to still be a member of thai visa and not being banned for 3 years like lacoste. :D (thanks mods.) :o

cheers punters :D

6. meeting some really top blokes of this forum. ( nearly forgot that ) :D

7. meeting a few duds as well. :D ( wanabie thai lovers)

cricky's mate,

how are you dave. ?

Ive achieved a mini pissup with the man, the myth, the legend, the elusive, the one and only T57 .. that just about tops the lot in my book ... :D

Hmmm don't think that's quite what I meant. How many years did it take to achieve this feat?

cricky's mate,

how are you dave. ?

Hmmm don't think that's quite what I meant. How many years did it take to achieve this feat?

How many years (beers) did it take to achieve this feat?

A fair few Briggsy he drinks like a thirsty camel ... :D