Advice for driving exam? No idea what I have to do..

SS1

Hey, 

I recently started doing my car and motorcycle licence (from scratch). The bike and car theory and exams were easy, as they were in English and so was the practical exam for bike, as the instructions were in English.

However, for the driving exam there was just a video 100% in Thai. I attempted the test and failed everything else except the parallel parking bit, as I had no idea what I was supposed to do for the rest. Is there any instructions for this test in English available somewhere? 

Cheers

You normally just follow someone else's lead.

At the center I went to they had a tannoy system and they gave instructions to a guy and everyone else copied, you can catch the idea as you watch - wait here for 10 seconds then turn etc.

If you failed everything apart from parallel parking - somethings not right, reversing into that tight spot is is quite difficult.

Maybe ask the center if a passenger could translate for you.

I didn't have a clue on mine, I was supposed to wait 10 seconds before turning, I waited for what I thought was ample time .. I didn't stop at the junction, I just paused, and looked both ways. Just like a normal safe driver would do.

Everyone was shocked when the guy handed me the piece of paper.

What about the bike test ? Passed ?

i had to do my whole licence here as well as they would not accept my aussie licence. i got a bit lucky and managed  to pass everything. car and bike but i would not like to go through it again. like recom says the best bet is to find a driving school to get. think i can recommend you one if you are in pattaya  that a friend of mine used.

I failed my test due to being red/green colour blind !

I was just renewing my 5 yr license . Guy asked me red and green colours on a faded board with tiny dots on it. Got half off them wrong so he turned to my wife and said cannot and told her to tell me to come try again next day !!:blink:

I have just had my UK license renewed and not had and accidents in 15 yrs of driving. 9 of them being in Thailand !

Yet im not allowed to drive here now according to them so I have to buy a pair of specs at 800 quid to help me pass the colour test here !!

Saying that I have only been asked for my license once and that was 9 years ago on the day I got my first Thai one so maybe I wont buy the specs after all.:lol:

If you have a current licence car or bike from you home country example > US , UK , AUS 

you don't have to do the exam or the practical test. Just the application , eye test and response time test. If you do not have a current licence then yes you have to do the full test. Take you wife of GF to translate. Good luck.

52 minutes ago, ronaldo0 said:

I was just renewing my 5 yr license . Guy asked me red and green colours on a faded board with tiny dots on it. Got half off them wrong so he turned to my wife and said cannot and told her to tell me to come try again next day !!:blink:

I have just had my UK license renewed and not had and accidents in 15 yrs of driving. 9 of them being in Thailand !

Yet im not allowed to drive here now according to them so I have to buy a pair of specs at 800 quid to help me pass the colour test here !!

Saying that I have only been asked for my license once and that was 9 years ago on the day I got my first Thai one so maybe I wont buy the specs after all.:lol:

I take it these are special lenses that somehow help you to determine the correct colours? £800 seems a bit pricey however?

I wrote this a few months ago for a friend.  It describes the procedure at Chiang Wattana for a falang with a home country full driving licence to convert it to a Thai licence which is a whole lot simpler than applying for a new licence here without an overseas full licence already.  (By full licence I mean not a learner licence as is the system in some countries for new drivers.)

This information is as I found it doing my first temporary licence then my follow up one year later (new system is now two years temporary licence before a permanent licence is issued.)  I think everything in my notes is still current, but no guarantees TIT!

Thai diving licence requirements.docx

4 hours ago, recom273 said:

You normally just follow someone else's lead.

At the center I went to they had a tannoy system and they gave instructions to a guy and everyone else copied, you can catch the idea as you watch - wait here for 10 seconds then turn etc.

If you failed everything apart from parallel parking - somethings not right, reversing into that tight spot is is quite difficult.

Maybe ask the center if a passenger could translate for you.

I didn't have a clue on mine, I was supposed to wait 10 seconds before turning, I waited for what I thought was ample time .. I didn't stop at the junction, I just paused, and looked both ways. Just like a normal safe driver would do.

Everyone was shocked when the guy handed me the piece of paper.

What about the bike test ? Passed ?

Absolute joke making Westerners take a test who already have a licence from their own countries. Little man syndrome strikes again.

I had the same problem with the color test. I am not color blind, but the lights were so dim it was difficult to tell

difference all the time. The Thai guy made a big deal of it. Farang see etc. There were 2-3 other people had same problem;

and we were made to stand in the ( stupid, blind line ) for 20 minutes, while everyone finished the test.

We then got the second chance. There were only the stupid , color blind people left in the room.

The Thai Tester asked for 100 baht each.

" Hey I am not stupid and color blind anymore "

TIT, but i got the 5 year lic.

4 hours ago, recom273 said:

You can also find a driving school that is licensed to pass you, you do a course and get a pass.

im guessing you don't need a course but you can have a word.

Where would I find such a driving school? I mean, the theoretical test is definitely doable, just the rest of the formalities would be such a hassle, mostly having to go top that forlorn place miles north of Pattaya. Anybody's got a clue how much a taxi from north Patty to the Land Transport Authority thingy is?

I have enrolled with an apparently "not licensed" driving school in Naklua for learning to drive a motorbike (no, it's not rocket science, it's just I never rode a bike in Germany and they are driving on the wrong side of the road over here, and I did not want to get practice in Pattaya of all things), sweet chap, 10 hours, doing his best. Just they were asking 18k Baht for a license and that sounded a bit rich and very much illegal, and I needed some practice anyway.

2 hours ago, Monkeyrobot said:

If you have a current licence car or bike from you home country example > US , UK , AUS 

you don't have to do the exam or the practical test. Just the application , eye test and response time test. If you do not have a current licence then yes you have to do the full test. Take you wife of GF to translate. Good luck.

Plus International licence.

51 minutes ago, teacherpaul said:

Absolute joke making Westerners take a test who already have a licence from their own countries. Little man syndrome strikes again.

Same joke performed on Asians in Australia,and surprisingly Ozzys are quite tall.

1 hour ago, topt said:

I take it these are special lenses that somehow help you to determine the correct colours? £800 seems a bit pricey however?

Enchroma is the name. They are 600 quid but add import tax at 20% to UK as they don't deliver to Thailand !

45 minutes ago, bark said:

I had the same problem with the color test. I am not color blind, but the lights were so dim it was difficult to tell

difference all the time. The Thai guy made a big deal of it. Farang see etc. There were 2-3 other people had same problem;

and we were made to stand in the ( stupid, blind line ) for 20 minutes, while everyone finished the test.

We then got the second chance. There were only the stupid , color blind people left in the room.

The Thai Tester asked for 100 baht each.

" Hey I am not stupid and color blind anymore "

TIT, but i got the 5 year lic.

Didn't get that option !:lol:

4 minutes ago, ronaldo0 said:

Enchroma is the name. They are 600 quid but add import tax at 20% to UK as they don't deliver to Thailand !

Interesting. I administered a lot of Ishihara tests when I did national service in a German hospital and found myself administrating the ophthalmology department

(i.e. the good doctor showing up for 2 hours a week from a neighbouring town; helluva department, you don't want to know how we checked fields of view back in 1992 with 1960ies equipment).

I would assume though, it cannot enable a colour-blind person to see red/green/yellow/violet as per the case but might, with some training, raise the contrast to an extend where those dots become distinguishable? Anyway, merely being colour-blind would not be an obstacle getting a driving-license; at least it would not be in western countries. I had one pal in high-school who was a wizard fixing his 1968-VW-beetle  and only found out he was colour-blind when trying to join the airforce on a 12-contract. Then went to skip armed service at all and served in a youth-hostel, when he could not be a pilot, fought his way back into the armed forces being a mechanic for planes and now... wouldn't be surprised if he got himself a license flying transports or something.

None of my problems, I've got 160% of visual acuity on both eyes even being myopic, and a fine sense for colours, but interesting.

If you have an International Driving Permit issued in your home country, the process is very simple, at least in my experience. I employed an agent for about 2000 baht, and qualifying for the Thai licence consisted of identifying red, green and yellow on a mock traffic light. Just to show off, I recited the colours as they came up in Thai, which earned a smile from the examiner.

Thanks for the tips guys. Just to clarify, I already passed the bike theory and pratical exams, as well as the car theory and physical exams. I am just short of the actual driving test with the car. 

I tried to follow others on the course but for example the reversing bit.. the light in front of me never changed green from red, so I assumed I had to wait. It did turn green for the guy on my left but not for me, so I just waited and waited... until the instructor told me to leave so I didn't reverse at all. Very confusing.. maybe the light was broken. 

Anyways maybe the best idea indeed to bing a friend/gf to translate the instructions! 

As for the IDP, I posted about this struggle a while ago, basically I had an IDP from convention 1969 that is not accepted (must be from 1949 agreement). Belgian licence not accepted, must be translated by embassy. Belgian embassy no longer translates documents, so I used a private certified translator. Private translators not accepted by the DLT so here I am doing the licence from scratch. I've had both bike and car licences since I was 18. 

3 hours ago, Monkeyrobot said:

not correct. it all depends on where you apply. there are no uniform rules across thailand.

3 minutes ago, SS1 said:

Thanks for the tips guys. Just to clarify, I already passed the bike theory and pratical exams, as well as the car theory and physical exams. I am just short of the actual driving test with the car. 

I tried to follow others on the course but for example the reversing bit.. the light in front of me never changed green from red, so I assumed I had to wait. It did turn green for the guy on my left but not for me, so I just waited and waited... until the instructor told me to leave so I didn't reverse at all. Very confusing.. maybe the light was broken. 

Anyways maybe the best idea indeed to bing a friend/gf to translate the instructions! 

As for the IDP, I posted about this struggle a while ago, basically I had an IDP from convention 1969 that is not accepted (must be from 1949 agreement). Belgian licence not accepted, must be translated by embassy. Belgian embassy no longer translates documents, so I used a private certified translator. Private translators not accepted by the DLT so here I am doing the licence from scratch. I've had both bike and car licences since I was 18. 

??? You should be able to get your Dutch/French license translated to Thai by a certified translator for some 40 EUR, and with a certificate of residence (only issued if you have a non-tourist visa) for 300 Baht, a medical certificate for around 100 Baht (valid 30 days, both). From what I know it will then just be a matter of paying 400 Baht for the actual driving license in fees.

58 minutes ago, louse1953 said:

Same joke performed on Asians in Australia,and surprisingly Ozzys are quite tall.

Also a joke that the UK like to play - but we don't just restrict ourselves to playing it on Asians, anyone outside of the EU or Channel Islands is considered fair game!

Englishmen also not noted for being particularly small in comparison to other races...

25 minutes ago, Saradoc1972 said:

Interesting. I administered a lot of Ishihara tests when I did national service in a German hospital and found myself administrating the ophthalmology department

(i.e. the good doctor showing up for 2 hours a week from a neighbouring town; helluva department, you don't want to know how we checked fields of view back in 1992 with 1960ies equipment).

I would assume though, it cannot enable a colour-blind person to see red/green/yellow/violet as per the case but might, with some training, raise the contrast to an extend where those dots become distinguishable? Anyway, merely being colour-blind would not be an obstacle getting a driving-license; at least it would not be in western countries. I had one pal in high-school who was a wizard fixing his 1968-VW-beetle  and only found out he was colour-blind when trying to join the airforce on a 12-contract. Then went to skip armed service at all and served in a youth-hostel, when he could not be a pilot, fought his way back into the armed forces being a mechanic for planes and now... wouldn't be surprised if he got himself a license flying transports or something.

None of my problems, I've got 160% of visual acuity on both eyes even being myopic, and a fine sense for colours, but interesting.

Yeah the enhance the difference between reds and greens so the person can tell the difference quite easily .

Seemingly a pair of red tinted glasses will do the same effect but haven't seen any yet to try it out.:lol::lol::lol:

3 hours ago, ronaldo0 said:

red / green vision deficiency is very common, somewhere between 5 - 10% of all males suffer from it. the colour test with the dots is almost impossible to 'fudge', but if you hang around the testing area a bit pretending to do something, having your camera going, you can probably record and remember sequence and answers.

the better option are those rural offices that test you with coloured light, pretty easy as you'll probably only have difficulties with the yellow / red thing, the green is easy to pick even for us very bad cases.

be as 'farang' as you can be but answer the colour questions in thai and just say both options many times, as if confused: deng - lueang, lueang - deng ..., just make sure you get your kiau's right. they'll give up on you eventually.

and? is there really a set of glasses that overcomes colour vision deficiency?

2 minutes ago, ronaldo0 said:

Yeah the enhance the difference between reds and greens so the person can tell the difference quite easily .

Seemingly a pair of red tinted glasses will do the same effect but haven't seen any yet to try it out.:lol::lol::lol:

Not gonna work if cannot see the alternative colour,. And those people just cannot; it's just shades of gray to them.

1 minute ago, Saradoc1972 said:

Not gonna work if cannot see the alternative colour,. And those people just cannot; it's just shades of gray to them.

no, it's not. i am one of those people!

most non - colour vision impaired people have no clue what it is like to be not. the closest they'll ever come to it is to turn down the brightness of their television in a dark room to the point where they can only just make out the picture - and than try to distinguish colours.

do you remember this one: 'at night, all cats are grey' ?

i have the best colour vision in bright sunlight but i am totally useless after dark.

Just now, manfredtillmann said:

red / green vision deficiency is very common, somewhere between 5 - 10% of all males suffer from it. the colour test with the dots is almost impossible to 'fudge', but if you hang around the testing area a bit pretending to do something, having your camera going, you can probably record and remember sequence and answers.

the better option are those rural offices that test you with coloured light, pretty easy as you'll probably only have difficulties with the yellow / red thing, the green is easy to pick even for us very bad cases.

be as 'farang' as you can be but answer the colour questions in thai and just say both options many times, as if confused: deng - lueang, lueang - deng ..., just make sure you get your kiau's right. they'll give up on you eventually.

and? is there really a set of glasses that overcomes colour vision deficiency?

6% of world I think was the figure I read that have red/green problems.

It is in Samui I done it and they changed out all the casual staff from before and put in no nonsense people as they said there was too many people getting licenses before without doing the whole test or just paying for one.

Yeah the glasses do work but not for everyone seemingly but they have a test on their site to check if you really need them.

Just now, manfredtillmann said:

no, it's not. i am one of those people!

most non - colour vision impaired people have no clue what it is like to be not. the closest they'll ever come to it is to turn down the brightness of their television in a dark room to the point where they can only just make out the picture - and than try to distinguish colours.

do you remember this one: 'at night, all cats are grey' ?

i have the best colour vision in bright sunlight but i am totally useless after dark.

The company do sell 2 types of glasses. One is for indoors and computer use the other is for outdoors