Bangkok Bank ATM with personal insurance

I was just informed that Bangkok Bank has a new ATM card which has a personal accident insurance attached to it.

Price of the ATM card is 700 Baht, and it covers you up to 5000 Baht per case, at any hospital in the country, and unlimited cases.

The insurer is called something like bfirst smart rabbit siriraj. In case of accident you just have to show the card, and bill get arranged with insurer directly.

This is not a motorbike insurance, but personal accident, according to my friend.

Anyone can comment on the correctness of this?

All the banks push a variety of cards that come with some kind of insurance, usually personal insurance where if you happen to have a certain kind of accident you can get some coverage.  The cards make a nice profit for the banks.   And the bank branch may flatout lie to you and say that's the only card they have now, a foreigner must get this kind of card, etc.    Generally, they are not worth it....just go with the basic card which usually has a Bt200 to Bt300 annual fee with no insurance. 

12 minutes ago, Pib said:

All the banks push a variety of cards that come with some kind of insurance, usually personal insurance where if you happen to have a certain kind of accident you can get some coverage.  The cards make a nice profit for the banks.   And the bank branch may flatout lie to you and say that's the only card they have now, a foreigner must get this kind of card, etc.    Generally, they are not worth it....just go with the basic card which usually has a Bt200 to Bt300 annual fee with no insurance. 

He had the policy read by his Thai gf, and it says all accidents and injuries, as well as victim of a criminal activity. So if it really covers 5000 Baht per case at any chosen hospital, without a limit on the amount of cases, then the 700 Baht would be well worth it.

In fact just one case a year would make it worth already.

I didn't say they claimed it is the only ATM card they offer, they offered it as a new product.

Edited by Berty100

How often does a person have an accident/injury needing to go to the hospital?   Fortunately, I can count on a couple of fingers how often it has happened to me over my lifetime.  Now going because I'm sick now that a different story...but that is not an accident/injury.  Be sure to read the fine print.   And you will probably find the person would need to file paperwork to claim reimbursement....I think the banks know most people won't even both to file a claim for such a small amount of up to Bt5,000.

Edited by Pib

3 minutes ago, Pib said:

How often does a person have an accident/injury needing to go to the hospital?   Fortunately, I can count on a couple of fingers how often it has happened to me over my lifetime.  Now going because I'm sick now that a different story...but that is not an accident/injury.  Be sure to read the fine print.   And you will probably find the person would need to file paperwork to claim reimbursement....I think the banks know most people won't even both to file a claim for such a small amount of up to Bt5,000.

I agree it's only for injury, not for sickness, but it is also only 500 Baht on top of the normal ATM fee.

As I said in the OP, no claims to be filed, just show the ATM card at the hospital and they clear everything with the insurance company directly.

Just now, Pib said:

Also, a person can not assume a hospital/clinic will accept the insurance.

There are more insurance companies where you just show your policy card to the hospital and everything is arranged between hospital and insurer.

But may be better we wait for someone who knows the product to comment, instead of all those guesstimates, without having any knowledge about the card in question.

ท่านสามารถสมัครบัตรบีเฟิสต์ สมาร์ท แรบบิท ศิริราช ได้ง่ายๆ หากท่านมีอายุระหว่าง 16 - 65 ปี (ตามเดือนปีเกิดที่ระบุในบัตรประชาชน) และมีบัญชีเงินฝากสะสมทรัพย์หรือบัญชีเงินฝากกระแสรายวันกับธนาคารกรุงเทพในนามบุคคลธรรมดา*อยู่แล้ว เพียงนำบัตรประจำตัวประชาชน หรือหนังสือเดินทาง (ในกรณีเป็นชาวต่างประเทศ) และสมุดบัญชีเงินฝาก ไปติดต่อธนาคารกรุงเทพสาขาที่ท่านสะดวก ทั้งนี้ ลูกค้า 1 ท่าน สามารถขอมีบัตรบีเฟิสต์ สมาร์ท แรบบิท ศิริราช ได้เพียง 1 บัตรเท่านั้น 

From the website -  http://www.bangkokbank.com/BangkokBankThai/PersonalBanking/DailyBanking/Be1stVisaDebitCard/Pages/Be1stRabbit.aspx

It says foreigners can use it as long as they are between 16 and 65, an unlimited number of times up to 5000 baht.

4 minutes ago, Johnniey said:

Thanks for the link, and it indeed says.

No need to pay medical expenses when being treated in a hospital which is a member of Bangkok Insurance’s network . You can check out the hospital network at www.bangkokinsurance.com

And I checked the list already, it contains every hospital I have ever heard of.