US Consulate Services Suspended Starting 12 Sept

jeffandgop

Except for U.S. citizen emergencies, consular services at the U.S. Consulate General in Chiang Mai will be suspended from September 12, 2016 to November 1, 2016, due to necessary renovations to the Consular Section.  

All nonimmigrant visa (NIV) applicants who intend to travel during this period should make appointments with the U.S. Embassy in Bangkok at http://photos.state.gov/libraries/thailand/591452/niv/how_to_apply_niv.pdf.  

Applicants for all routine U.S. citizen services such as U.S. passports, Consular Reports of Birth Abroad, and notarial services required during this period should make an appointment with the U.S. Embassy in Bangkok at https://th.usembassy.gov/u-s-citizen-services/.  

The American Citizen Services (ACS) Unit will remain available by email and phone for emergency U.S. citizen services such as death and welfare/whereabouts cases; and we will continue to accept voter registration, absentee ballot requests, and absentee ballots.  Also, please note that the ACS Unit will conduct several U.S. citizen outreach events in and around Chiang Mai during this period to process requests for U.S. passports, Consular Reports of Birth Abroad, and notarial services.  Information regarding these outreach events and other important updates will be posted on our website at https://th.usembassy.gov/news-events/ and sent out via email. 

Sorry folks- no pass from me- the Us Consulate could have rented space in another location and carried on as usual with no interruption in service. Sending people to Bangkok for needed documentation or tutorials is not acceptable.  Don't tell me you have no budget. You are charging $50 for a signature that costs $10 in the USA. The so called greatest country needs to start acting that way.

14 minutes ago, Thaidream said:

Sorry folks- no pass from me- the Us Consulate could have rented space in another location and carried on as usual with no interruption in service. Sending people to Bangkok for needed documentation or tutorials is not acceptable.  Don't tell me you have no budget. You are charging $50 for a signature that costs $10 in the USA. The so called greatest country needs to start acting that way.

don't see the big deal. i'm sure most everyone goes to Bangkok a few times a year to do stuff that can't be done here anyway. just another chore to do there. and it's only for two months.

19 minutes ago, Thaidream said:

difficult to set up security in a rented space, very very difficult

you expect too much and suggesting that the US is the greatest country is really off the wall, been a long time since they acted that way

lots of ways to work around the issue with a bit of planning

As a US citizen my taxes pay for the establishment of US Embassies and Consulates around the World. Why should US citizens be inconvenienced because the State department does not want to provide the customer service that they promised to American citizens.  Why should a US citizen have to travel to Bangkok for an over priced signature on a document; pay for a hotel; pay for transportation because the Us Consulate cannot figure out how to establish a temporary office with security. That is what the Marine Guards are sent to Thailand for. Sorry, folks-  no pass from me. The Consulate is taking the easy way out. Their staff will still get paid for doing nothing.  The State department needs to realize that they exist because of the taxpayer. and to provide service for overseas Americans.  I have seen too much of this attitude of doing tings for the convenience of the State Department employees rather than the convenience of the taxpayers who actually pay the freight.

1 hour ago, Thaidream said:

As a US citizen my taxes pay for the establishment of US Embassies and Consulates around the World. Why should US citizens be inconvenienced because the State department does not want to provide the customer service that they promised to American citizens.  Why should a US citizen have to travel to Bangkok for an over priced signature on a document; pay for a hotel; pay for transportation because the Us Consulate cannot figure out how to establish a temporary office with security. That is what the Marine Guards are sent to Thailand for. Sorry, folks-  no pass from me. The Consulate is taking the easy way out. Their staff will still get paid for doing nothing.  The State department needs to realize that they exist because of the taxpayer. and to provide service for overseas Americans.  I have seen too much of this attitude of doing tings for the convenience of the State Department employees rather than the convenience of the taxpayers who actually pay the freight.

The US State Department exists to serve "US interests" which refer to US economic interests.  Providing services to tourists and ex-pats is just a facade and has always been a rather low priority. If this situation bothers you then best to relocate back to US territory.

10 hours ago, Thaidream said:

If you are so passionate about this, write your Congressman  -  wonder what your response would have been if they decided to close the entire Consulate for good.

I have no intention of relocating to the Us and I don't even live in Chiang Mai. This is not about me. I am simply providing my opinion of why American taxpayers should not be inconvenienced and why the State  Department should be better at managing American resources.  If some of you would look past your innate selfishness and think about the fact that some Americans in the Chiang Main area maybe elderly, infirm, or ill and cannot travel to Bangkok- you might begin to see someone elses point of view.  Your attitudes and the nature of your responses are exactly why Americans are so disliked in the World.

You can apply for visa extensions up to 45 days in advance in Chiang Mai province and Income Letters are valid for 6 months.  Everyone is receiving more than adequate notice of the closure.

Read the Press Release, people!  They are still going to be taking care of the elderly, infirm, those who are arrested, etc.  They just aren't going to be available for those who lack forward planning skills.

Yeh Nancy, thanks for telling us what the announcement said since some apparently can not read it.

Also said they would be doing some Outreach Events where services would be provided, schedule to be posted.

It ain't really a big deal but we have so many magicians who can turn a mouse into an elephant. 

1 hour ago, NancyL said:

You can apply for visa extensions up to 45 days in advance in Chiang Mai province and Income Letters are valid for 6 months.  Everyone is receiving more than adequate notice of the closure.

Read the Press Release, people!  They are still going to be taking care of the elderly, infirm, those who are arrested, etc.  They just aren't going to be available for those who lack forward planning skills.

And they will be taking care of all the other stuff via outreach.  "Also, please note that the ACS Unit will conduct several U.S. citizen outreach events in and around Chiang Mai during this period to process requests for U.S. passports, Consular Reports of Birth Abroad, and notarial services."  So this should not be a problem for anyone.