Tired Thais: Thai people sleep least and spend most time online in Asia Pacific

webfact

Tired Thais: Thai people sleep least and spend most time online in Asia Pacific

By Coconuts Bangkok 

1103675089_10a62c0a38_z.jpg

Photo: Tahir Hashmi/Flickr

BANGKOK: -- According to a survey about healthy living in Asia-Pacific by AIA insurance group, Thais sleep the fewest hours and spend the most non-work related time online.

The survey collected lifestyle answers from 10,000 adults in 15 countries, including 750 Thais. Thai respondents answered that they slept an average of 6.3 hours per day, but that they wished they were getting an average of 7.7 hours daily.

The number of hours slept daily by Thai people was lowest in the 15 countries — but Malaysians and South Koreans reported that they get the same average amount of 6.3 hours.

Full story: http://bangkok.coconuts.co/2016/08/17/tired-thais-thai-people-sleep-least-and-spend-most-time-online-asia-pacific

coconts_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Coconuts Bangkok 2016-08-17

Thais don't sleep?! I had a GF once who was upset. "What's wrong?" I asked. "My Mum's hassling me for rent money, my brother's really sick and my younger sister has run off with her boyfriend. I can't take much more of this." She then lay down on the bed and slept for 14 hours!!

32 minutes ago, freebyrd said:

Thais don't sleep?! I had a GF once who was upset. "What's wrong?" I asked. "My Mum's hassling me for rent money, my brother's really sick and my younger sister has run off with her boyfriend. I can't take much more of this." She then lay down on the bed and slept for 14 hours!!

That's cause she was hoping you'd wake her up at some point and offer her the money, silly!

2 hours ago, JHolmesJr said:

I can confirm this….usually i bring home a thai honey by 6am….we get busy till 8.30am…she's usually up like a rocket by 1pm and wanting to "i go now".

.".........bring home a thai honey by 6am….we get busy till 8.30am....."

Two and a half hours to make the bed and sweep through and do the dishes?;)

1 hour ago, mesterm said:

That's cause she was hoping you'd wake her up at some point and offer her the money, silly!

After 35 years of living and working with Asians it took me about 35 minutes to work out just what they are like. Yes her mother thought I was a soft touch. I gave my GF the elbow and as far as I know a gullible Scandanavian has been her walking ATM these past 15 years.

20 minutes ago, freebyrd said:

After 35 years of living and working with Asians it took me about 35 minutes to work out just what they are like. Yes her mother thought I was a soft touch. I gave my GF the elbow and as far as I know a gullible Scandanavian has been her walking ATM these past 15 years.

Sorry to hear that. Hope you're okay.

5 hours ago, CanInBKK said:

Considering how extreme some corporate working hours are, coupled with arduous travel times in the morning traffic, it actually shouldn't come as a surprise. I've seen people "need" to leave home by 6am to avoid the traffic. 

So what's stopping them from going to bed earlier? Is it because it is common place to see Thai parents that keep their infant children up to all hours? They can't think ahead enough to realize that if they stay up real late they might be tired in the morning?

All western families I have seen typically have their babies in bed by 7pm or 8pm and don't usually take them to party places until all hours, have seen that here hundreds of times.

And what are the Thais doing with their 30 sick days per year? Might be a good time to catch up on some sleep then.

Seriously?????

I do corporate teaching, teach at universities and other places and whenever I ask a Thai about their hobbies, all I get is "sleeping".

"So, what did you do at the weekend?"

"Sleep"

"All weekend?"

"Yes"

I know! Sometimes they say this because it is easy, but many admit that they do sleep most of the day.

Go to a shopping mall and see how many of the staff in small stalls and in the food courts (outside rush hours) sleep. I have often walked away because they were fast asleep.

1 hour ago, ALLSEEINGEYE said:

So what's stopping them from going to bed earlier? Is it because it is common place to see Thai parents that keep their infant children up to all hours? They can't think ahead enough to realize that if they stay up real late they might be tired in the morning?

All western families I have seen typically have their babies in bed by 7pm or 8pm and don't usually take them to party places until all hours, have seen that here hundreds of times.

And what are the Thais doing with their 30 sick days per year? Might be a good time to catch up on some sleep then.

Calm down mate. No western families around here.

On August 17, 2016 at 9:02 PM, ALLSEEINGEYE said:

I think you must have misread my post post because we're talking about two entirely different groups of Thais. The Thais I'm referring to are still at the office at 7pm or 8pm and hardly have time to "party" on weekdays.  Then they're up again at 5am again to beat the traffic into work.

Granted, when I worked in Canada my hours were very close to 9-5 because my employer didn't want to pay me overtime but I dare you to mention OT to a corporate employee in Thailand, see how hard they laugh.

BTW what happened to your ethics, man? Using your sick days to stay home and sleep? I can see you've never been an entrepreneur.