Quick arrest of youths in attack on Japanese tourist in Bangkok

webfact

Quick arrest of youths in attack on Japanese tourist in Bangkok

p5.jpg

Image: Thairath

BANGKOK: -- Police in Klong Tan have made a quick arrest of two 17 year olds after a Japanese tourist was robbed in a knife attack on Friday.

Shoichi Kanemoto, 40, was attacked as he walk near the end of Soi Prideephanomyong in the Phrakanong area of the city, reported Thairath. He resisted the attack from two men on a motorbike who were wearing full face helmets.

He was slashed in the chest and ribs.

Police have rounded up two youths who they named as Golf and Bow. The latter is a M5 (year 12) student at a school in Ramkhamhaeng.

The pair admitted the robbery claiming it was the first time they had committed a crime like this. They stole a watch and split the 3,400 baht they got from the victim and went to buy clothes with the proceeds.

They were charged with theft in the hours of darkness using a knife, assault causing actual bodily harm and carrying a concealed weapon in a public place. They were detained ahead of processing by Klong Tan police.

Source: Thairath

tvn_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2016-08-17

42 minutes ago, webfact said:

The pair admitted the robbery claiming it was the first time they had committed a crime like this

So they did other 'petty' crimes...  ?

With a deadly weapon, bodily harm, and taking a watch - tells me this was not their first robbery or assault!

I'm sure the Thai justice system will do everything it can to encourage these two miscreants to continue a life of crime.

I'm surprised no cop has a soothing hand on their shoulders, ensuring them that nothing serious will happen to them. "It was only a foreigner, so no real crime was  committed, lads. Don't worry -- you'll be back on the streets by dinner time."    

3 minutes ago, Inn Between said:

I'm sure the Thai justice system will do everything it can to encourage these two miscreants to continue a life of crime.

I'm surprised no cop has a soothing hand on their shoulders, ensuring them that nothing serious will happen to them. "It was only a foreigner, so no real crime was  committed, lads. Don't worry -- you'll be back on the streets by dinner time."    

If they'd tried that with some of the lads I work with, they'd be in hospital by dinner time.

6 minutes ago, JHolmesJr said:

Damn...Soi Prideephanomyong is a sleepy little soi where i go to see a dentist….struck me as a slightly deserted soi with few peole and many gated houses….far from the madness of sukhumvit.

Do you have the right soi in mind? Soi Pridi is far from sleepy! 

1 hour ago, Merylhighground said:

Do you have the right soi in mind? Soi Pridi is far from sleepy! 

when i was driven  there from prakhanong bts it sure seems like it…from the btw we drove straight towards a highway, then took the first slip road and entered a warren of sleepy sois….im pretty sure this was the address i went to:

Sukhumvit 71, Soi Preedeepanomyong 14, Moobaan Pakamas (Soi 15) BTS Prakhanong Station (E8), Bangkok, Bangkok, Thailand

"...They were charged with theft in the hours of darkness using a knife, assault causing actual bodily harm and carrying a concealed weapon in a public place..."

I've seen this "theft in the hours of darkness" in a few TV reports lately, and I was wondering if it was a specific crime, distinct from say theft during daylight hours.

It appears that it is, as are the other crimes these two thick heads perpetrated on their foreign guest.

According to the Thai Criminal Code B.E. 2499 (http://www.thailandlawonline.com/laws-in-thailand/thailand-criminal-law-text-translation#209), the following sections and sub-sections apply:

Section 335 Whoever commits theft under any of the following circumstances:

1. By night;

:

5. By disguising himself, or by impersonating another person, or by blackening his face or doing otherwise so that he may not be seen or recognized;

:

7. By carrying arms, or by having two persons upwards participating;

:

Shall be punished with imprisonment of one to five years and fined of two thousand to ten thousand Baht.

If the offence committed according to the first paragraph comes under the circumstances provided in the above-mentioned sub-sections from two sub-sections upwards also, the offender shall be punished with imprisonment of one to seven years and fined of two thousand to fourteen thousand Baht.

Section 336 Whoever, commits theft by snatching in presence is said to commit snatching, and shall be punished with imprisonment not exceeding five years and fined not exceeding ten thousand Baht. If the snatching causes bodily or mental harm to another person, the offender shall be punished with imprisonment of two to seven years and fined of four thousand to fourteen thousand Baht.

So, these guys could actually be facing seven years jail and a fourteen thousand Baht fine.

3 hours ago, Chapelroad said:

Kudos to the B.I.B.

If they were all as efficient, they would have had a better reputation. Unfortunately, it is a bit too late for that.

and a lot will depend on how the offence is handled and the kind of punishment that is meted out to the offenders.

2 hours ago, douglasspade said:

So they did other 'petty' crimes...  ?

With a deadly weapon, bodily harm, and taking a watch - tells me this was not their first robbery or assault!

No. They just usually rob tourists during the daytime hours. They heard that night shift is double the pay.

The government does not seem to understand that all of the Thai on foreigner violence is not a zero sum game.  Eventually, it reaches a tipping point and tourism falls off 35% over three years.   I wonder who will get blamed.

1 hour ago, JHolmesJr said:

when i was driven  there from prakhanong bts it sure seems like it…from the btw we drove straight towards a highway, then took the first slip road and entered a warren of sleepy sois….im pretty sure this was the address i went to:

Sukhumvit 71, Soi Preedeepanomyong 14, Moobaan Pakamas (Soi 15) BTS Prakhanong Station (E8), Bangkok, Bangkok, Thailand

That's a sub-soi off the main soi.

58 minutes ago, waldroj said:

"...They were charged with theft in the hours of darkness using a knife, assault causing actual bodily harm and carrying a concealed weapon in a public place..."

I've seen this "theft in the hours of darkness" in a few TV reports lately, and I was wondering if it was a specific crime, distinct from say theft during daylight hours.

It appears that it is, as are the other crimes these two thick heads perpetrated on their foreign guest.

According to the Thai Criminal Code B.E. 2499 (http://www.thailandlawonline.com/laws-in-thailand/thailand-criminal-law-text-translation#209), the following sections and sub-sections apply:

1. By night;

:

5. By disguising himself, or by impersonating another person, or by blackening his face or doing otherwise so that he may not be seen or recognized;

:

:

Shall be punished with imprisonment of one to five years and fined of two thousand to ten thousand Baht.

If the offence committed according to the first paragraph comes under the circumstances provided in the above-mentioned sub-sections from two sub-sections upwards also, the offender shall be punished with imprisonment of one to seven years and fined of two thousand to fourteen thousand Baht.

Section 336 Whoever, commits theft by snatching in presence is said to commit snatching, and shall be punished with imprisonment not exceeding five years and fined not exceeding ten thousand Baht. If the snatching causes bodily or mental harm to another person, the offender shall be punished with imprisonment of two to seven years and fined of four thousand to fourteen thousand Baht.

So, these guys could actually be facing seven years jail and a fourteen thousand Baht fine.

Theft at night faces a harsher punishment, the rationale I believe is if someone robs you at night,especially in your home they are more likely to find you and your family there, thus leading to more chance of violence and/or distress. But I stand to be corrected.

1 hour ago, waldroj said:

1. By night;

:

:

:

Very good post Waldroj.

I shan't delve into the  "blackening his face"     bit (I'm sure that Sumo, Bluespunk etc. would find some reason to have a collective hissy fit over it! ;)), but it's very interesting to see the length of the custodial sentences and their apparent Baht equivalents.

It seems that the Thai legal system puts a price on a year of an individual's freedom at THB2,000 only!  Given this, is it really any wonder that the HiSO and political elite believe that they can (and perhaps have a right to) buy themselves out of any sticky corner?

1 hour ago, JHolmesJr said:

Yes. there are a lot of little sub-sois linking Thong Lor and Pridi which are exactly as you say. You don't want to get lost down one of them on a hot day either as they seem to go on forever....

5 hours ago, JHolmesJr said:

Damn...Soi Prideephanomyong is a sleepy little soi where i go to see a dentist….struck me as a slightly deserted soi with few peole and many gated houses….far from the madness of sukhumvit.

that's why people are robbed in such place. muggers hate bright street lights and busy pavements.

4 hours ago, Merylhighground said:

Yes. there are a lot of little sub-sois linking Thong Lor and Pridi which are exactly as you say. You don't want to get lost down one of them on a hot day either as they seem to go on forever....

There are no sub sois linking pridi and thong lor - what with ekamai being in the way and all.