Two Taekwondo athletes win medals for Thailand

webfact

Two Taekwondo athletes win medals for Thailand

000_F63JK1-wpcf_728x409.jpg

RIO DE JANEIRO: -- Two Thai Taekwondo athletes won two medals Thursday (Thailand time) in Rio 2016 Olympic games.

Tawin Hanprab won silver medal after losing to China’s Shuai Zhao in Taekwondo men’s 58 kg final.

While Panipak Wongpattankit won bronze medal after beating Mexico’s Itzel Adilene Manjarrez Bastidas in women’s 49 kg #Rio2016 #เทควันโด

Tawin Hanprab is the first ever Thai Taekwondo male athlete to win medal at Olympic games and Panipak Wongpattankit is the 4th Thai Taekwondo female athlete.

Source: http://englishnews.thaipbs.or.th/176619-2/

thaipbs_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Thai PBS 2016-08-18

Good on them. I believe this is the fifth and sixth Thai medal of the games. Nice. This puts Thailand in 24th place overall in the medals count. And first in ASEAN. Indonesia is second with 3 medals, and in 39th place. And Vietnam in third place in ASEAN, and 45th overall, with two medals. 

Bragging rights for a country that has not had all that much to brag about in the past few years. 

Edited by spidermike007

15 minutes ago, spidermike007 said:

Good on them. I believe this is the fifth and sixth Thai medal of the games. Nice. This puts Thailand in 24th place overall in the medals count. And first in ASEAN. Indonesia is second with 3 medals, and in 39th place. And Vietnam in third place in ASEAN, and 45th overall, with two medals. 

Bragging rights for a country that has not had all that much to brag about in the past few years. 

And a very worried New Zealand 

The rules of this sport have changed so many times over the years that it is almost a different sport to when I was younger. As my name suggests I still practice and teach (<deleted>, ITF, Moo Do Kwan) TKD but the sport no longer reflects the image of self defense (one advert from Kuk Ki Won (2012 Olympics I think) stated clearly it is more realistic than Kung <deleted>). Kicking techniques were defined as those delivered by the foot, below the ankle, but gradually Kuk Ki Won has disallowed certain techniques (Milo Chagi being one). 'Outlawed' ITF players is also a shame because they two have excellence.

With regard to other posters comments about Thailand bragging in addition I have had it said to me several times this week That Thailand is number 1 is sports and as a Brit I feel it necessary to point out the gap. When Master Sung basically brought <deleted> to Thailand two extra patterns were in the coloured belts (Palgwe 7 & 8) because Thailand thought it more martial expertise than anyone else. Of course, those two extra patterns were dropped eventually but it does give some idea of the mentality.

Having said that, Thailand does have some excellent players (as does Vietnam and Laos etc.) and I did expect them to win Gold in their low weight category. So well done.