My little Honda wave

Davehappen

How many tools do you need to do a reasonable service? And what about the tools Honda include with the bike?

oil and oil filter. - Maybe an 8mm spanner - 60 Baht

spark plug - Plug Spanner - 100 Baht

air filter. Screwdriver or allen key - 50 Baht.

fork oil and seals - That is a bit more involved. - A vise would be useful.

chain and sprockets - a couple of sockets, not 200 Baht. I assume that the wave uses a split link for the chain as opposed to a pressed rivet fit.

brake pads or whatever the Wave uses. - pliers allen key or the 8mm socket you bought earlier.

lube and adjust the cables pair of grips or pliers, 100 Baht.

It wouldn't cost more than about 500 Baht for the few tolls you need to do basic servicing. after that it is just the consumables, filters, brake fluid, oil etc.

At least when you do it yourself you know exactly what has been done and if it has been done properly. Unless you are lucky to find a good mechanic here you can end up with a real bodge job!

On 8/21/2016 at 5:02 PM, Davehappen said:

Lots of suggestion there, would like to do the big service myself, but don't want the hassle of buying loads of tools, so just need to find a competent bike repairer.

Be careful. You would need a Work Permit if the letter of the law was applied.

On 21/08/2016 at 11:41 AM, Happy Grumpy said:

At 6 yrs old, just get them all replaced instead of being 'checked'.

Order the following:

oil and oil filter.

spark plug

air filter.

fork oil and seals

chain and sprockets

brake pads or whatever the Wave uses.

lube and adjust the cables

Find a parts manual online and print up a list of all the parts and their numbers.

Take to a dealer, get them to order and fit. Done. 

Now that is what I call,straight to the point and very sensible. 

On 8/18/2016 at 7:18 PM, ktm jeff said:

Nothing wrong with loving your bike.  A Wave is a very simple bike to service , and if you dont want to do it yourself , id sugest asking around for recomendations for an independant mechanic ( im in Chiang Mai )  , not a Honda "service center".  Assuming the waranty is now of no concern. Make sure the mechanic CLEARLY understands what you want doing , such as fork oil , new chain / sprockets , injection cleaner additive in fuel ( DIY )  , brake fluid , plug , air filter etc.  Good luck.

Why avoid a service center?  Just curious...

51 minutes ago, hdkane said:

The Honda shops that sell / service these type of bikes dont have fully trained mechanics.  Not  able to do much more than an oil change. As others have pointed out , they dont even use ( have ? ) a tire pressure gauge. Find a trust worhy independant mechanic . Thats what the OP is trying to do.

12 hours ago, bazza40 said:

Be careful. You would need a Work Permit if the letter of the law was applied.

Don't be ridiculous. Is he employed by someone? Is he getting paid by someone?

Yes, by himself. So you are saying a foreigner can't even mow his own lawn here.

I know when I take mine all that ever happens is the box/engine oil gets changed, the rear brake gets tightened and I have to loosen it off a bit, and the tyres are inflated to rock like pressure that blows a pressure gauge apart. They have done other things like change air filter, clean fuel system and change spark plug but they are only done when I had an associated problem.

Sounds like you could do a good job yourself.

Edited by jacko45k

I brought a 2nd hand Zoomer from the local 2nd hand dealer/repair shop, 500 ks on it, lots cheaper than a new one. I have taken the scooter back for a service at 2,000 ks. Amazing to watch the service, 3-4 guys put the bike on a hoist and work on it like a formula 1 pitt stop, one doing the brakes, another doing the oil etc. I literally didnt have time to finish a ciggy. The thing that really impressed me was they brought out a service history card for the bike. On the card, what they had done, reconditioning,  prior to selling. Made notes about what had just been done "and" what needed to be done next service, front brake pads I think. Come back at 5,000 ks

Point being, a good repair shop will go beyond a basic service and provide longer term maintenance etc. Develop a relationship with the local repair shop. Its his business and the good ones want the business for the life of the bike.  

11 hours ago, hdkane said:

Because sometimes in Thailand a service centre is not a service centre but claims to be.

Enforcement of trade description laws, particularly at the non-material level, is weak in Thailand.

22 hours ago, ktm jeff said:

The Honda shops that sell / service these type of bikes dont have fully trained mechanics.  Not  able to do much more than an oil change. As others have pointed out , they dont even use ( have ? ) a tire pressure gauge. Find a trust worhy independant mechanic . Thats what the OP is trying to do.

This is complete BS from start to finish. The dealerships are required to have trained full-time Honda mechanics. Period. The little-unauthorized dirt shops on the side of the road are another matter and using them voids all warranty. Good luck with that...:gigglem: 

4 hours ago, fullcave said:

This is complete BS from start to finish. The dealerships are required to have trained full-time Honda mechanics. Period. 

LOL

I could be mistaken but I believe I have noticed a few things that are required in Thailand that occasionally slip through the cracks.

12 hours ago, fullcave said:

This is complete BS from start to finish. The dealerships are required to have trained full-time Honda mechanics. Period. The little-unauthorized dirt shops on the side of the road are another matter and using them voids all warranty. Good luck with that...:gigglem: 

You are having a laugh, right?

Warranty schwaranty... This is SE Asia, not Western Europe. Warranty is finished the day the little moped is ridden out of the showroom floor.

Free service for the first 12k kms (only pay for oil) on step daughter's Fino and later KRS - what a laugh that was. Stepdaughter can see the steam coming out of my ears in the little Kawa dealership, when i'm pointing to all the little ticks in the service book (and yeah i speak fluent Thai), "no no, air filter no need check, only oil change". What's the point of a service book? "Dad, better you do it yourself, be a better job anyway". DELETED

Edited by seedy
Language

1 hour ago, thaiguzzi said:

You are having a laugh, right?

Warranty schwaranty... This is SE Asia, not Western Europe. Warranty is finished the day the little moped is ridden out of the showroom floor.

Free service for the first 12k kms (only pay for oil) on step daughter's Fino and later KRS - what a laugh that was. Stepdaughter can see the steam coming out of my ears in the little Kawa dealership, when i'm pointing to all the little ticks in the service book (and yeah i speak fluent Thai), "no no, air filter no need check, only oil change". What's the point of a service book? "Dad, better you do it yourself, be a better job anyway". DELETED

Nope, no joke. Doing the work yourself or having it done by a local dirt shop mechanic voids the warranty. I also was not impressed by our local kawa shop (son owns a ninja) nowhere's near the standard as the Honda dealership, but again they will not honor the warranty if you do the work yourself. But you can do what you like. Next.. :coffee1:

On 8/24/2016 at 2:39 AM, bramds said:

Yes, by himself. So you are saying a foreigner can't even mow his own lawn here.

Technically, you can't mow your own lawn... You can pay a Thai to do it badly though...

I do my own lawn and service my own Wave but then I like living on the edge :)

2 hours ago, fullcave said:

Nope, no joke. Doing the work yourself or having it done by a local dirt shop mechanic voids the warranty. I also was not impressed by our local kawa shop (son owns a ninja) nowhere's near the standard as the Honda dealership, but again they will not honor the warranty if you do the work yourself. But you can do what you like. Next.. :coffee1:

Not much warranty left on a 6yr old Wave :)

On 8/24/2016 at 7:39 AM, bramds said:

It's not so ridiculous if a Thai neighbour with whom you have disagreed decides to dob you in to the local authorities.

6 hours ago, bazza40 said:

It's not so ridiculous if a Thai neighbour with whom you have disagreed decides to dob you in to the local authorities.

Which law in Thailand prevents a foreigner from performing basic maintenance on their motorcycle?

I don't see how it is work?

12 hours ago, denkiblue555 said:

Which law in Thailand prevents a foreigner from performing basic maintenance on their motorcycle?

I don't see how it is work?

Nope. It's not unless you are getting paid. Doing chores around the house is not an issue. Hobbies are not an issue.