Border crossing Thaton Myanmar

anotheruser

Okay thinking of going to Myanmar with a Burmese friend. (I know I used both terms for the country there but don't need a debate about Burma and Myanmar.) Anybody done this route? It looks like I could take the train to Chiang Mai and get a bus from there? Are there border crossings with visa on arrival or where foreigners can cross? I can get a visa here in Bangkok if I have to. 

It occurs to me if it is too much hassle I could fly into Rangoon but no idea how the roads are to Thaton or if that way is possible. I could also just skip going and say my goodbyes in Thailand as well. Any advice on this route or altenative routes wouold be great but I favor taking the train and going that way if possible.

Looking on googlemaps it seems the trip is around 10 hours. looking at wikitravel they say it is 180 km and 3 hours from Chiang Mai. Ugh I just found out why. I was looking at Thaton Thailand. Hmmm time to rethink this.

okay then my next question would be is there VOA at Mae Sot? I am not visa hopping and want to travel through to Yangoon.

Edited by anotheruser

No option of VOA only full visa or e visa.

Situations are changing but e visa is typically for arrival by air so to be absolutely safe grab a visa from Bangkok. Apparently there are plans to process e visa at land border points but don't believe these are in place yet.

there is NO voa for Burma,( excecpt a businees visa but you need your letter)  the tourist  visa u get online ONLY good for flying in.

If u enter at Mae sot ur 4-5 hours by shared taxi  to Hpa an an than another 4 ( taxi or train or bus) to Yangon.

need ur visa from the embassy

Edited by phuketrichard