Rio police say US swimmers made up robbery claim

webfact

Rio police say US swimmers made up robbery claim

606x341_341632.jpg

RIO DE JANEIRO: -- Police in Rio say that four US Olympic swimmers who claimed they robbed at gunpoint made up the whole story.

Gunnar Bentz and Jack Conger, who were questioned after being stopped from flying back to the US, admitted the four had fabricated the story to try cover up what really happened – which was that they got into a dispute at a petrol station over paying for damage they drunkenly did to a toilet door.

The head of Rio de Janeiro’s civil police, Fernando Veloso, said there is no evidence to support their robbery account.

In addition CCTV video has emerged of the four arguing with security guards at the petrol station.

The images from the CCTV cameras appeared to show the four swimmers, including Olympic gold medallists Ryan Lochte and Jimmy Feigen, being prevented from leaving the station by the security guards, who were armed.

The police chief said nothing indicated a guard had overreacted in pulling out his gun to calm down Lochte.

Globo reported that with the help of a Brazilian customer who spoke English a compensation arrangement for the damage to the toilet door and other fittings was eventually worked out with the Americans who have admitted to being very drunk during the incident.

They then left and returned to their accommodation before the police arrived.

The armed robbery report increased fears for the safety of athletes and visitors at the Games, but organisers tried to play the whole thing down, defending the four swimmers.

“Give these kids a break”

Rio 2016 spokesman Mario Andrada: “We need to understand that these kids were trying to have fun. let’s give these kids a break. Sometimes you take actions that you later regret. They had fun. They made a mistake. It’s part of life, life goes on. Let’s go.”

The police chief said it is not yet clear what crimes the swimmers might be charged with, adding that is up to a Brazilian judge.

Feigen is still in Rio, while Lockte – who has vehemently stuck to the robbery story throughout – returned to the US on Monday.

euronews_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Euronews 2016-08-19

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The lesson those boys learned will likely be more valuable than the medals they won.   Anyone whose been to Thailand can attest to how serious it is when you bring disrepute on the country.  

The problem is young people think everything is a joke. These guys are idiots but their thinking and actions are pretty common for young westerners. They just got caught. Anyways, if a crime was committed they have got to pay in the same way as any local would.

9 minutes ago, Usernames said:

I wouldn't be in such a hurry to accept the word of a Brazilian police force that runs death squads. 

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2015/jul/22/manaus-brazil-homicides-amazon

My own concerns as well. 

In this day and age of CCTV, we should not be left relying on strictly he said/she said. 

I would like to see the damage. 

If they were held at gun point until they turned over money that certainly sounds like robbery.

IF the door was damaged then who determined its value? A security guard?

And why was the door allegedly damaged? Perhaps it was not working properly to begin with. What if one of the swimmers closed it behind him and locked it and then it refused to become unlocked? I would break the door to get out. 

So lets see some facts before we start reacting about how these boys are a disgrace. I have spent some time in Rio and honesty is not exactly a priority...as should already be understood by anyone watching the entire selection and construction preparing for these Games.

Edited by ClutchClark

Brazilian police say Lochte, US swimmers were not robbed

By MAURICIO SAVARESE, PETER PRENGAMAN and and LUIS ANDRES HENAO

RIO DE JANEIRO (AP) — Brazilian police said Thursday that swimmer Ryan Lochte and three U.S. teammates were not robbed after a night of partying, and the intoxicated athletes instead vandalized a gas station bathroom and were questioned by armed guards before they paid for the damage and left.

The robbery that was or wasn't has become the biggest spectacle outside of the Olympic venues in Rio, casting a shadow over American Olympians in Brazil amid an otherwise remarkable run at the Summer Games. The ordeal was also a blow to Brazilians, who for months endured scrutiny about whether the city could keep athletes and tourists safe given its long history of violence.

"No robbery was committed against these athletes. They were not victims of the crimes they claimed," Civil Police Chief Fernando Veloso said during a news conference.

The police account came in direct contrast to claims from Lochte's attorney made earlier in the week. The attorney, Jeff Ostrow, had maintained that the robbery took place and insisted the swimmer had nothing to gain by making the story up. He, as well as Lochte's father and agent, did not return phone calls seeking comment.

The swimmers could potentially face punishment — probation, suspension, a fine or expulsion — under USA Swimming's code of conduct, which prohibits dishonesty or fraud. It was not immediately clear if the organization planned to act. It was also not clear if the swimmers would face criminal charges, though police said the athletes could be charged with destruction of property, falsely reporting a crime or both.

Veloso said it's up to the courts, but as far as he's concerned the athletes should be able to leave the country.

Lochte initially said that he and teammates Jack Conger, Gunnar Bentz and Jimmy Feigen were held at gunpoint and robbed several hours after the last Olympic swimming races ended. Police said earlier this week that they couldn't find evidence to substantiate the claim, and a judge ordered the swimmers' passports held as the investigation continued. Lochte had already returned to the U.S. but the others stayed, and Conger and Bentz were pulled off a plane at the Rio airport.

While some details in the official account of the story changed on Thursday — police first said no guns were involved, then backtracked and said two guards pointed weapons in their direction — security video confirmed the athletes vandalized parts of the gas station, leading to an encounter with station employees.

The closed-circuit video shows one of the swimmers pulling a sign off of a wall and dropping it onto the ground. A gas station worker arrives, and other workers inspect the damage. Veloso said the swimmers broke a door, a soap dispenser and a mirror.

The swimmers eventually talk with station workers as their cab leaves.

As they talk, two of the swimmers briefly raise their hands and all four sit down on a curb. The footage doesn't appear to show anyone pointing a gun at the swimmers. After a few minutes, the swimmers stand up and appear to exchange something — perhaps cash, as police said — with one of the men.

A police official speaking on condition of anonymity because the investigation was ongoing said two guards pointed guns at the swimmers. Veloso said the guards did not use excessive force and would have been justified in drawing their weapons because the athletes "were conducting themselves in a violent way."

A station employee called police, and the guards and employees tried to get the swimmers and the taxi driver to stay until authorities arrived, some even offering to help interpret between English and Portuguese, Veloso said. But he said the athletes wanted to leave, so paid 100 Brazilian reals (about US $33) and $20 in U.S. currency and left.

Conger and Bentz told authorities after they were taken off the plane that the story of the robbery had been fabricated, said the police official who told the AP about the guns pointed at the swimmers.

Bentz and Conger gave testimony late Thursday. Upon leaving a police station, they walked through a crowd of dozens of journalists and onlookers without stopping or answering questions. A few people in the crowd shouted at them, calling them "liars" and "shameful."  

It was not immediately clear if Feigen, who spoke to police on Sunday, was going to provide another statement.

Police said the swimmers were unable to provide key details in early interviews, saying they had been intoxicated. The police official said officers grew suspicious when security video showed the swimmers returning to the athletes village wearing watches, which would have likely been taken in a robbery.

"We got pulled over, in the taxi, and these guys came out with a badge, a police badge, no lights, no nothing just a police badge and they pulled us over," Lochte told NBC's "Today" the morning after the incident. "They pulled out their guns, they told the other swimmers to get down on the ground — they got down on the ground. I refused, I was like we didn't do anything wrong, so — I'm not getting down on the ground.

"And then the guy pulled out his gun, he cocked it, put it to my forehead and he said, 'Get down,' and I put my hands up, I was like 'whatever.' He took our money, he took my wallet — he left my cellphone, he left my credentials."

But Lochte backed off some of those claims as the week went on, saying the taxi wasn't pulled over by men but rather the athletes were robbed after stopping at a gas station. Lochte also said a man pointed a gun toward him, but didn't put the gun to his head.

Authorities said that after the incident, the swimmers did not call police; officers began investigating after they saw news coverage with Lochte's mother speaking about the incident.

Lochte told USA Today the swimmers didn't initially tell U.S. Olympic officials what happened because "we were afraid we'd get in trouble."

The debacle prompted both wild speculation and social media mockery, which quickly turned to scorn after the official account went public. #LochteGate was trending on Twitter, with users sharing video footage and posting comments about white privilege and rude Americans.

David Fleischer, a political scientist at the University of Brasilia, said the incident touched a nerve in Brazil because of the country's history and cases of people committing crimes while impersonating police.

"The story did have some sense of validity but it didn't bear out and it made them look bad worldwide," he said.

While he's medaled often, Lochte's accomplishments have long been overshadowed by teammate Michael Phelps — the most decorated Olympian in history. Lochte won a gold in Rio in a relay race alongside Phelps. Lochte is a 12-time Olympic medalist.

___

AP reporters Beth Harris, Chris Lehourites, Pauline Arrillaga and Renata Brito in Rio de Janeiro, and Steve Reed in Charlotte, North Carolina, contributed to this report.

ap_logo.jpg
-- © Associated Press 2016-08-19

On the one hand, Brazilian Police want very much to show the world they provided excellent security for the Games and that Rio will be a family friendly destination in the future. 

On the other hand, we were all young males once in our lives.

Sadly, the bravado found in Lockte statement about ignoring the orders of a guy who has a gun pointed at his head do not bode well for his intelligence.

Regardless, all of our US Olympians should have handlers/bodyguards assigned to their groups when they leave the Campus...particularly at night and when alcohol is flowing.

Its very easy to find out ..Its Police 101 technique...They were questioned separately, and all must have had four different versions. LOL

1st Guy - The gun was m-16, the guy was wearing red shirt, he robbed 100 dollars.

2nd Guy - The gun was ak-47, the guy was wearing blue shirt, he robbed us 200 dollars and so on..

Usually, Kids don't think it through when making up stories..

Edited by starchild5

7 minutes ago, Whyamiandwhatamidoinghere said:

They were just having fun.. Right? Then let them have fun with the consequences of filing a false robbery report. Then maybe they will think trice since twice didn't do the trick. 

Why did 4 Olympians decide to damage a bathroom?

Something about, "Hey, guys, lets go celebrate our Gold medals by busting up a gas station men's room".

Nope, not buying the police version in its entirity.

BTW, I live in a First World country and I don't recall ever seeing a head that was in good repair. I can only guess at the condition of a 3rd world gas station crapper.

How does the security guard know who caused the damage?

Ryan Lochte :

Washington Post:

"There is a special category of obnoxious American 'bro' that Lochte represents, in his T-shirt and jeans and expensive suede footwear, which he showed off on Instagram that night at the party along with the price tag. 'We're 6k deep here,' he captioned it. Is there anything worse, in any country, than a bunch of entitled young drunks who break the furniture and pee on a wall?"

San Francisco Chronicle:

"It doesn't matter what else Lochte has done in his Olympic career. This cemented his legacy: most embarrassing Olympic athlete."

New York Post:

"He cried wolf and was called on it, and that will be his burden to bear for a good long while - but not his alone. The Ugly American is alive and well in 2016 thanks to this dope."

12 minutes ago, canopus1969 said:

Ryan Lochte :

Washington Post:

"There is a special category of obnoxious American 'bro' that Lochte represents, in his T-shirt and jeans and expensive suede footwear, which he showed off on Instagram that night at the party along with the price tag. 'We're 6k deep here,' he captioned it. Is there anything worse, in any country, than a bunch of entitled young drunks who break the furniture and pee on a wall?"

San Francisco Chronicle:

"It doesn't matter what else Lochte has done in his Olympic career. This cemented his legacy: most embarrassing Olympic athlete."

New York Post:

"He cried wolf and was called on it, and that will be his burden to bear for a good long while - but not his alone. The Ugly American is alive and well in 2016 thanks to this dope."

On the positive side, the ratings for the next season of his reality show will be sky high...

1 hour ago, ClutchClark said:

On the one hand, Brazilian Police want very much to show the world they provided excellent security for the Games and that Rio will be a family friendly destination in the future. 

On the other hand, we were all young males once in our lives.

Sadly, the bravado found in Lockte statement about ignoring the orders of a guy who has a gun pointed at his head do not bode well for his intelligence.

Regardless, all of our US Olympians should have handlers/bodyguards assigned to their groups when they leave the Campus...particularly at night and when alcohol is flowing.

They were living on a cruise ship werent they..jusy pull the boat off the jetty for the night

2 hours ago, Usernames said:

I wouldn't be in such a hurry to accept the word of a Brazilian police force that runs death squads. 

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2015/jul/22/manaus-brazil-homicides-amazon

I saw earlier this morning video which clearly shows that the story of the Brazilian police is true.

1 minute ago, stevenl said:

I saw earlier this morning video which clearly shows that the story of the Brazilian police is true.

Not doubting you but does it show the swimmers damaging the bathroom door and fixtures since that is key.

The fact there was a confrontation between armed security and swimmers is not contested.

18 minutes ago, Witblitz said:

They were living on a cruise ship werent they..jusy pull the boat off the jetty for the night

Ofcourse it would be best if we simply locked up all of our Olympians when not competing but next best would be a "handler".

Its Brazil.

Ask our Secret Service what kind of headlines can come of a simple trip to Rio  ;-)

2 hours ago, ClutchClark said:

My own concerns as well. 

In this day and age of CCTV, we should not be left relying on strictly he said/she said. 

If they were held at gun point until they turned over money that certainly sounds like robbery.

And why was the door allegedly damaged? Perhaps it was not working properly to begin with. What if one of the swimmers closed it behind him and locked it and then it refused to become unlocked? I would break the door to get out. 

So lets see some facts before we start reacting about how these boys are a disgrace. I have spent some time in Rio and honesty is not exactly a priority...as should already be understood by anyone watching the entire selection and construction preparing for these Games.

Jackanory....jackanory?

32 minutes ago, ClutchClark said:

Not doubting you but does it show the swimmers damaging the bathroom door and fixtures since that is key.

The fact there was a confrontation between armed security and swimmers is not contested.

Ofcourse it would be best if we simply locked up all of our Olympians when not competing but next best would be a "handler".

Its Brazil.

Ask our Secret Service what kind of headlines can come of a simple trip to Rio  ;-)

What you say is true. but I don't think the Brazilian police will come up with trumped up charges against Americans athletes. To pull them off an aircraft is serious business and I don't think they would have done it if they weren't 100% certain they have a case.

3 hours ago, ClutchClark said:

My own concerns as well. 

All immaterial. Even if they didn't smash a door in, they lied about being robbed by police impersonators. The best thing they could have done after the fact is kept their entitled, loutish mouths shut. That Lochte in particular sounds like a right tool. I hope they are vilified back in the states.

44 minutes ago, ClutchClark said:

Its Brazil.

Isn't a self admission by the athletes enough proof already? Perhaps the gas attendant saw / heard what happened hence the following events were capture on camera outside, how many toilets have cameras inside?

6 minutes ago, ALLSEEINGEYE said:

They will be just fine. America loves their sports hero's.

OJ got away with double murder!!!

"If the glove don't fit...you must acquit."

Amercians hated the fact OJ walked and that is why he is serving a long sentence today for unrelated charges and given a much stiffer sentence than he ever would have been had he not walked on the double murder.

But agreed Americans are sports crazy...ofcourse, its all a metter of perspective since we appear to be one of the few countries without all the spectators getting into scuffles.  ;-)

You do have to wonder about the mentality of someone that would outright lie about the incident.  They did not even try to shade it. Claimed a pistol was cocked and placed against his forehead.  Not even close to what happened. What was Ryan lochte thinking?  

Ryan Lochte, dispite being overshadowed by Phelps most of his career,  has still made over 6 million dollars. 

By the way, only the USA Basketball team, men and women, are staying on the cruise ship. The rest of the US team,  some 500, plus support staff, are staying in the athletes quarters.

TH