Swiss and American hiding in Pattaya nabbed for overstay

webfact

8 hours ago, free123 said:

I dont agree....as thailand is a traditional place for fugitives and crooks of all kinds....so no worrys thailand is and always will be the place to hang out...

7 hours ago, hawker9000 said:

Someone else still living in 1969...

True, fugitives and crooks have been turning up their noses at Pattaya since it now has vacant shop houses, unfinished buildings spoiling the view, and a deplorable lack of seating and shade on the promenade. Plus fewer used bookstores. Your discerning fugitive and crook has moved on to the paradise of Cambodia. There they've been having an impact:

A British national was arrested in Kampot town on Tuesday night after allegedly attacking a cash machine following what police said was a night of heavy drinking.
    --Boozed-up Brit accused in Kampot ATM attack, Phnom Penh Post, Thu, 31 December 2015

They've merely followed the quality tourists, i.e., the "naughty mongers," the economic powerhouses behind Pattaya's now-vanished prosperity, the great jobs creators, the golden eggs layers who've been "put off."

So what we have left are merely some off-brand low-so fugitives and crooks lacking in taste and refinement, too unsuccessful to pay their overstay fines and follow the crowd. What dregs, eh. Gradually BiB has been finding these dregs and giving them a helping hand. 

• Replies 141
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, williamgeorgeallen said:

agreed their chances of being caught initially are low but eventually they will need to leave the country right? 2 ways it can end death or being caught on the way out.

Some people have no intention of ever leaving Thailand. They're either friendless or no longer welcome in their home country, and have nowhere else to go.

If they keep a low profile, stay out of trouble and avoid places frequented by foreigners, then they can live here quietly until they die.

2 hours ago, tubby johnson said:

Some people have no intention of ever leaving Thailand. They're either friendless or no longer welcome in their home country, and have nowhere else to go.

If they keep a low profile, stay out of trouble and avoid places frequented by foreigners, then they can live here quietly until they die.

retirement visa is so cheap. surely anyone who can afford to live here can afford the visa.

38 minutes ago, williamgeorgeallen said:

retirement visa is so cheap. surely anyone who can afford to live here can afford the visa.

Not so sure about that,   if your pension income alone is good enough to

obtain a one year extension of stay,  fine.  :thumbsup:

But there are many that is does not,   so they top it up with cash.  ok for some,   not all.

If your married its half prize, or near that.

but more to the point,  there are some that are not married and  don't have the pension yet but are retired,   this requires 700,000 in the Thai bank,    is that cheap,    No.

the cost of extension of stay is cheap   but the requirements

are not.

I don't mind the cheap charlies here in pattaya, some are far better that some of the rich idiots,  i have met here over the last twenty year.

Btw im not talking about myself here. :wai2:

Edited by onemorechang

13 hours ago, onemorechang said:

Not so sure about that,   if your pension income alone is good enough to

obtain a one year extension of stay,  fine.  :thumbsup:

But there are many that is does not,   so they top it up with cash.  ok for some,   not all.

If your married its half prize, or near that.

but more to the point,  there are some that are not married and  don't have the pension yet but are retired,   this requires 700,000 in the Thai bank,    is that cheap,    No.

the cost of extension of stay is cheap   but the requirements

are not.

I don't mind the cheap charlies here in pattaya, some are far better that some of the rich idiots,  i have met here over the last twenty year.

Btw im not talking about myself here. :wai2:

i am on a NON O based on my kids as i am a long way off 50 so i am not exactly up to speed on the retirement visa but from what a friend has told me it costs almost nothing

1 hour ago, williamgeorgeallen said:

i am on a NON O based on my kids as i am a long way off 50 so i am not exactly up to speed on the retirement visa but from what a friend has told me it costs almost nothing

Retirement VISA cost 30-35,000.Baht. That's almost nothing if you have some money. But if you don't, it's three months living expenses. 

I've not read the entire discussion, but anyone living on Soi Chaiyapoon is certainly someone who should be looked at closely from a legal standpoint. You don't get much closer to the sewer than that Soi. It also has set the record for most resurfaced Soi in Thailand at the Governments expense and is yet again in need of resurfacing again. 

On 19/08/2016 at 9:02 AM, williamgeorgeallen said:

be really interesting to hear why these guys overstay.

Good question.

I had a friend who had about 10 overstay stamps in his passport. Each overstay was a few days, a week, 2 weeks something like that.

He was a guy who didn't worry about stuff, didn't plan too much. He would work but might turn up in the morning straight from some slapper's apartment having had 3 hours sleep.

So, in answer to your question, personality type plays a role. Also previous experiences reinforce the behaviour. Nothing bad happened so he did it again and again.

I hope this provided some information to answer your question.

7 minutes ago, Briggsy said:

He was a guy who didn't worry about stuff, didn't plan too much. He would work but might turn up in the morning straight from some slapper's apartment having had 3 hours sleep.

Some slapper? Are you British mate? What is a "slapper" anyhow? And three hours sleep prior to "work"? What sort of work? Thanks. Just asking...hope it isn't censored. No sexual details needed or wanted. 

8 minutes ago, BruceMangosteen said:

Some slapper? Are you British mate? What is a "slapper" anyhow? And three hours sleep prior to "work"? What sort of work? Thanks. Just asking...hope it isn't censored. No sexual details needed or wanted. 

What do you mean by "some"? Is your name really Bruce? What is the derivation of your surname, Mangosteen? Why do your posts consist of a string of questions? Are you incentivised to increase Thaivisa's traffic? Just asking........

33 minutes ago, BruceMangosteen said:

Retirement VISA cost 30-35,000.Baht. That's almost nothing if you have some money. But if you don't, it's three months living expenses. 

I've not read the entire discussion, but anyone living on Soi Chaiyapoon is certainly someone who should be looked at closely from a legal standpoint. You don't get much closer to the sewer than that Soi. It also has set the record for most resurfaced Soi in Thailand at the Governments expense and is yet again in need of resurfacing again. 

is that 30k to get it done through an agency? sure a friend of mine paid about 3000thb for the visa and 10 000thb for a letter from the bank.

7 minutes ago, Briggsy said:

What do you mean by "some"? Is your name really Bruce? What is the derivation of your surname, Mangosteen? Why do your posts consist of a string of questions? Are you incentivised to increase Thaivisa's traffic? Just asking........

I don't know the slang "slapper" is all. Thanks for your consideration. ps: I get paid by the replies, 100 Baht per reply.

34 minutes ago, williamgeorgeallen said:

is that 30k to get it done through an agency? sure a friend of mine paid about 3000thb for the visa and 10 000thb for a letter from the bank.

Yes...through an agent.....I've never heard of a 10,000.Baht letter from a bank. I thought they were only about 200 Baht? Usually, going the long route, you have to also provide copies of your bank book, not just the letter. This a discussion for another forum. I was just commenting on the living situation of the one individual, Soi Chaiyapoon however you spell it. Not exactly Royal Cliff or even View Talay. 

5 hours ago, BruceMangosteen said:

Only 15000 baht if you use an agent . At least here in Pattaya. 

It will always be crocks and criminals that will overstay in Thailand. They can still pay police under the table. In New York now the Thai consulate are stressing the need of proper visas and I was told by the clerk, known him for many years that they will stop issue visas to tourist with to many visa runs. I have always had a visa during my last 20 years have done 1 visa run 10 years ago. Don't understand what the problem is for people to get a visa it's the same cost as if you will do 2-3 visa runs a year. Also heard that they may start asking for travel insurance. I always take a inbound insurance with a Thai company and that's cheaper then the regular once or the one that the consulate refer to. And this week the consulate posted a poster about overstay.
Tried to post it but could not

Once the civil unrest ahead spooks the Chinese away , and mainstream tourism dries up ...I am thinking their regrets might be untold.

Countries like Cambodia introduce unlimited entry over 3 years next month.

Ooch that's gonna hurt the bottom line when the rumbles get louder on Thai turf and the Boom Boom is from bombs

45 minutes ago, Michael8511 said:

It will always be crocks and criminals that will overstay in Thailand. They can still pay police under the table. In New York now the Thai consulate are stressing the need of proper visas and I was told by the clerk, known him for many years that they will stop issue visas to tourist with to many visa runs. I have always had a visa during my last 20 years have done 1 visa run 10 years ago. Don't understand what the problem is for people to get a visa it's the same cost as if you will do 2-3 visa runs a year. Also heard that they may start asking for travel insurance. I always take a inbound insurance with a Thai company and that's cheaper then the regular once or the one that the consulate refer to. And this week the consulate posted a poster about overstay.
Tried to post it but could not

Its not a requirement to have insurance for a visa .   its still hearsay.  :wai2:

Also 30 day entry stamp is not a visa,   holiday makers usual do this one,   no requirement for insurance. :wai2:

On 19/08/2016 at 9:16 AM, overherebc said:

Always surprised with these statements about putting everything in your wife's name. Both cars are in my name, bikes in my name, house is 50/50 owned, as was the last one and I got 50% of it when sold, although my wife pays the mortgage.

Sometimes I reckon people get some very bad advice out here.

Nice guy who lets the wife pay for the mortgage. Plus: same as another said, rather 0% legally, maximum you can get is usufruct. If married, hubby has to sign purchase and sale, but is not partial owner.

It's always this talk about thai's and Thailand treating tourists bad, I have been visited Thailand frequently for over 20 years and always been treated with respect. You get the proper visas and there is no problem, if you don't have a criminal record from your home country there is no need for overstay and I don't understand the big surprise everyone seems to have when they get deported. Philippines and other nearby country also have immigration laws. I think in the whole most people are happy with the life here it is after all cheaper to live a decent life as retired here then in Europe and USA. When it comes to Thai partners may be male or female you don't have to sign off your bank account to them to have a nice partner. I know many Thai / Western couples of both sexes that have nice and long relations and are happy. It many times come down to your attitude. Yesterday I went to lotus and it was a farang screaming and yelling at check out about the high cost. My partner turned to me and said "didn't the man see what the lady put in the cart" these 2 was arguing the whole way to the parking lot. Keep an open and real relation with your partner outside the bed and you will be happier.its after all not only alcohol and sex that make life good.

8 hours ago, Michael8511 said:

Keep an open and real relation with your partner outside the bed and you will be happier.

Not sure what you mean by "open" unless it's telling your wife about all the short times you do but suffice to say, it's like cats and dogs being married to a Thai if you aren't Thai was well.