Don't drop your guard

jippytum

Yesterday  i wanted to purchase thee shirts in a arcade on Beach Road  between soi Post office  and Mike's.I withdrew 1000 baht from atm went into the arcade and chose three shirts at 200 baht each .When woman serving me placed the shirts in a bag i removed the 1000 baht from my wallet and was taken by another woman .The other woman said she had no change

But she had noticed i had at least six hundred baht in my wallet .I removed the 600 baht and asked the woman for the return of my 1000 baht .She said i was mistaken and  i had not given her the 1000 baht  the other woman backed her up .After some time and  heated words i realized i had little option but to accept i had been conned . Instead of leaving with three shirts and four hundred baht  i left with nothing but anger.

I am sorry to hear of your financial loss. It can happen to anyone, even the most seasoned of old hands.

18 hours ago, jippytum said:

in a arcade on Beach Road  between soi Post office  and Mike's.

I think the words in the quote are a significant factor in your misfortune.

A considerable number of people interacting with tourists as sellers, guides, touts, hotel workers, etc. quickly pick up on the fact that tourists are here for only a short time, cashed up, not locally connected and do not know local customs or language. These people then take advantage of that in dishonest ways.

That is why I don't choose to live or shop in tourist areas. The proportion of dishonest people and their lies one has to deal with shoots up in comparison to non-tourist areas.

Thanks for the warning though. It is a good reminder.

Edited by Briggsy

I have also had shirt sellers call me back because I walked off without collecting the 500 baht change that I had coming from my 1000 baht note. All in all, I have found much more honesty than dishonesty.

56 minutes ago, giddyup said:

I have also had shirt sellers call me back because I walked off without collecting the 500 baht change that I had coming from my 1000 baht note. All in all, I have found much more honesty than dishonesty.

Agteed, just like you, I find the locals have impeccable integrity and honesty. 

Please allow me to introduce myself. My name is Dr. Makinbe Abacha, son of the late head of state and commander in chief of the armed forces of Nigeria who died on the 8th of June. 

My late father had/has Eighty Million USD ($80,000,000.00) specially preserved and well packed in trunk boxes of which only he and I know about.

It is this sum that I seek your assistance to get out of Nigeria as soon as possible before the present civilian government finds out about it and confiscate it just like they have done to all our assets. 

I implore you to please give consideration to my predicament and help a family in need. 

Please provide your bank details and PIN number. 

Warm regards,

Dr Makinbe Abacha 

Edited by Buzzz