Help please? Visa on arrival and proof of onward

My apologies in advance if posted in wrong area or answered already.  Purchasing flights soon so need expert help.  I am a US passport holder, flying from the US with the following plan:  

1.  1 month in the Philippines with no visa, just the 30 day visa on arrival.  Leave on day 30 to Thailand

2.  1 month in Thailand with no visa, just the 30 day visa on arrival.  Leave on day 30 back to Philippines

3.  1 final month (30 days)  in Philippines before heading back to the USA

Are there any problems with this plan as anyone sees it?  The one "kink" in the plan is that I might wish to stay longer than 30 days in Thailand.  Can I just extend another 30 days while there?  What about the onward ticket issue I read about?  When and where would this happen (In Philippines airport, trying to fly to TH without an onward ticket? Upon reaching TH immigration?)?  I don't wish to purchase my Thailand to Phils ticket in advance in case I want to stay longer in Thailand.  And, my big question is.....If no onward ticket is required (because one can extend), then anybody/anywhere/anytime can enter Thailand without ever having an onward ticket?   Thank you in advance.  TravelingFirefighter  at yahoooooooo.  

You will get a 30 day visa exempt entry when you arrive in Thailand. A 30 day visa on arrival does not exist.

The airline can ask to see a ticket out within 30 days of arrival for your flight from the Philippines to here. You could purchase a low cost one way ticket to a nearby country to avoid having a problem.

You can easily get a 30 day extension of your 30 visa exempt entry at an immigration office for a fee of 1900 baht.

It is also highly likely you will be questioned when you arrive in Thailand regarding why you have no onward or return ticket. I see it frequently although I have no idea what the final outcome is likely to be in that scenario.