SURVEY: Do you believe the recent bombings will continue?

Scott

Do you believe the recent bombings are related to the Southern insurgency and will continue to spread?  

174 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

you cannot be serious if you suppose army behind this action. 

It is so unprofessional, you can rather see a paramilitary or ad-hoc groups. These rather point us to a person sitting in a distant country.

South consists of more than 3 provinces. That is another issue, that keeping up the deep-South restless might be interest of some strong guys.

Otherwise, these actions have no consequences in Thailand. Just go back to 2010, than 2013 and 2014. Who was arrested really involved in these cases?

Anyhow, soe other questions should be added to the survey to be fair......

Edited by drbamboo

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

55 minutes ago, augustwest said:

Thailand annexed this land or more probably stole it from Malaysia because rubber was profitable!  Time to cede the land back to Malaysia. Problem solved!

Why don't you start with a Google search about the insurgency in Southern Thailand? You will certainly learn something and most of it will be facts and not the rubbish that you have posted.

I have no real idea, but i doubt that given the over 50 year history of what the

1 hour ago, augustwest said:

Thailand annexed this land or more probably stole it from Malaysia because rubber was profitable!  Time to cede the land back to Malaysia. Problem solved!

---------------------

Not so.

The souuthern provinces were ceded to the then Kingdom of Siam in 1900 by the then British Empire who exchanged them for the Thai Kingdom of Siam dropping it's claims to the Eastern Povinces of what was then calledthe British Empire state of Malaya.

Thailand, as the kingdom of Siam, dropped it's claims to any rights in the Eastern states of Malaya, and the British empire  ceded them the rights to what are called those Southern Thai Provinces today.

it is true that Rubber became part of the question later, but Malayan Rubber was not that important until some years later, after world War one ended.

When the British had control of the southerm Muslim provinces, they allowed seperate Muslim schools and had a parralel administration system for the Muslims in those provinces.

later in the 1930's the Thais were in control, and the nationalist Thai Military government at that time, began taking away seperate schools for the Muslims in the southern provinces.

But we don't have the time, and it is not really pzrt of the original subjectof this question  to discuss the history of Thailand in the last 70 years in those provinces.

Let's just say that in 70 yrars or more, both sides in the conflict made mistakes that made things worse.

Edited by IMA_FARANG

6 minutes ago, Franky Bear said:

Maybe, but my own view this is about the South and not Reds. I may be very wrong though.

yes we are all guessing for now. in my opinion the yellows have not given the reds any other option. if it was the reds then i can see it going  on for a long time before the army backs down. if it was insurgents from the south then i suspect that it will never end.

'Not claiming to know what's going on or who's responsible, but don't quite see how it can be related to the southern insurgency unless "terror" is the MO.  And I don't see how terror is likely the MO unless someone takes credit and says their intent was to terrorize...   Has this happened?   'Course I guess you could say that about just about any of the competing theories.  Except maybe the false flag theory...

1 hour ago, billd766 said:

Why don't you start with a Google search about the insurgency in Southern Thailand? You will certainly learn something and most of it will be facts and not the rubbish that you have posted.

you should do the same!

20 hours ago, cumgranosalum said:

"Although the Thai government is denying that the recent spate of bombings is tied to the Southern insurgency, most security analysts believe that it is.  " - not true - next topic, please.

Any links or citations to back this up? 

26 minutes ago, billd766 said:

If I am in error with my post please tell me where and why instead of of posting a useless comment.

example of a useless comment - "Why don't you start with a Google search about the insurgency in Southern Thailand? You will certainly learn something and most of it will be facts and not the rubbish that you have posted."

THe "insurgency in the South is a separatist movement - which has it's routes way back in how Thailand came to control that region - if you just take the time to look at a map, you will see that it isn't even geographically part of Thailand.

1 hour ago, cumgranosalum said:

example of a useless comment - "Why don't you start with a Google search about the insurgency in Southern Thailand? You will certainly learn something and most of it will be facts and not the rubbish that you have posted."

THe "insurgency in the South is a separatist movement - which has it's routes way back in how Thailand came to control that region - if you just take the time to look at a map, you will see that it isn't even geographically part of Thailand.

Wasnt the entirety of Malaysia a part of Thailand until the treaty of 1909, which formed the new British controlled state / country of Malaysia?

or do you mean further back than that?

it would help to know when "way back when" was.... For googling purposes

It is important for the Junta administration to inform the people if the southern insurgency is involved , security knows their footprint , there is no point in denying just to support tourism and hoping it will go away,  something akin to successive administrations plans for the south terrorists problem, personally I doubt if it was terror related,  as the junta wouldn't be able to stop themselves from telling the world that  they found and or who  the culprits were , with tourism foremost on their mind ..................................................:coffee1: 

5 hours ago, hawker9000 said:

'Not claiming to know what's going on or who's responsible, but don't quite see how it can be related to the southern insurgency unless "terror" is the MO.  And I don't see how terror is likely the MO unless someone takes credit and says their intent was to terrorize...   Has this happened?   'Course I guess you could say that about just about any of the competing theories.  Except maybe the false flag theory...

Yes....this is a terror attack. There's zero doubt about that. You don't let bombs off to invite people to a birthday party with a Hog Roast and pole dancing midgets from Kazakhstan.

10 hours ago, Franky Bear said:

Yes....this is a terror attack. There's zero doubt about that. You don't let bombs off to invite people to a birthday party with a Hog Roast and pole dancing midgets from Kazakhstan.

I wouldn't know.  You seem to be an expert (as SOOOO many here on TV do always seem to be, no matter the occasion), but you see I've never actually let off any bombs.  But can't someone commit arson or throw rocks off an overpass or plant a bomb (etc.) simply because they're angry (or crazy)?   "Terror" doesn't include every act of violence ever committed.  If I'm "terrorizing" the public, I'm trying to intimidate the public into doing or not doing, supporting or not supporting, some political cause.  If I don't somehow communicate what it is I want, then all I'm doing is brutalizing you.

"Terror" is terror in part because it carries with it the suggestion that it can continue until something the terrorist wants is achieved, whereas random violence is just some kind of acting out.  So, IVO  your credentials as a TV "expert", please tell us who is demanding what here.

I think the bombings will never stop. Whoever did it the next time it will be another angry group placing bombs.

The government doesn't take it serious enough, 100k baht reward is just not enough.

After the Erawan bombing the reward that a high policeman offered was more than a million, why is he not offering the same this time?

14 hours ago, farcanell said:

Wasnt the entirety of Malaysia a part of Thailand until the treaty of 1909

<snip for brevity?

" The term British Malaya loosely describes a set of states on the Malay Peninsula and the island of Singapore that were brought under British control between the 18th and the 20th centuries ",  so No !

from https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/British_Malaya

4 hours ago, hawker9000 said:

I wouldn't know.  You seem to be an expert (as SOOOO many here on TV do always seem to be, no matter the occasion), but you see I've never actually let off any bombs.  But can't someone commit arson or throw rocks off an overpass or plant a bomb (etc.) simply because they're angry (or crazy)?   "Terror" doesn't include every act of violence ever committed.  If I'm "terrorizing" the public, I'm trying to intimidate the public into doing or not doing, supporting or not supporting, some political cause.  If I don't somehow communicate what it is I want, then all I'm doing is brutalizing you.

"Terror" is terror in part because it carries with it the suggestion that it can continue until something the terrorist wants is achieved, whereas random violence is just some kind of acting out.  So, IVO  your credentials as a TV "expert", please tell us who is demanding what here.

yes i have been involved in terror related security and been on many courses and related thing about it. A bomb is terrorism 101.

3 hours ago, Ricardo said:

" The term British Malaya loosely describes a set of states on the Malay Peninsula and the island of Singapore that were brought under British control between the 18th and the 20th centuries ",  so No !

from https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/British_Malaya

Good link... Made my head hurt.

but.... You maybe missed my point... I was chasing a date as to when "way back when" was. (as first mentioned with regards Thai geographical area)

British, French, Dutch, Portuguese colonists have all left their mark on what is now Thailand... But what of Asian expansion and contraction, before this

Attached is a circa 1650 map of Thailand.... No Malaysia.

image.png

15 hours ago, Franky Bear said:

yes i have been involved in terror related security and been on many courses and related thing about it. A bomb is terrorism 101.

Ahh, I just knew it.  Yet another expert.  :clap2:   Terrorism 101?  How about Ridiculous Generalizations 101?

The topic is incorrect and impossoible

How can a "recent event" continue - it has to be followed by similar events?

Will the "recent bombings" infers that they are different from previous bombings.....if you believe they are from the separatists or other groups the fact remains that this sort of bombing has been going on in Thailand for the past 2 or 3 decades or eve longer........so the question should be, "do you think in light of the continuous history of bombing in Thailand, it will now stop-?" or "do you consider the recent bombings a change of modus operandum by whoever planted them?"

19 hours ago, farcanell said:

Good link... Made my head hurt.

but.... You maybe missed my point... I was chasing a date as to when "way back when" was. (as first mentioned with regards Thai geographical area)

British, French, Dutch, Portuguese colonists have all left their mark on what is now Thailand... But what of Asian expansion and contraction, before this

Attached is a circa 1650 map of Thailand.... No Malaysia.

image.png

amateur historians! I you can't beat 'em...certainly no point in arguing with them as has been said " “Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.” 

1 hour ago, Franky Bear said:

What your professional credentials in this subject?

Evidently better than yours....and on top of that I am capable of critical thinking.

i think you missed out..."

“Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.” 

Edited by cumgranosalum