visitor visa for family

Hi

Long time since I posted on the forum although I read all the time.

My Wife, now a British Citizen and her sister (ILR) would like to bring their niece over to the UK for a visit.

Currently their niece is not working in Thailand and has only had a bank account with limited funds for a couple of months.

Question. Will this mean a refusal for a visa, or will the fact that both myself(now retired) my wife and her sister (who works full time) can sponsor her and pay for all expences, be acceptable to the UK Visa Department.

Thanks in advance for any feedback on this issue.

Tibap. 

You'll probably get more definitive replies from the experts, but I would say her 'reason to return' to Thailand would be more of an issue, as she will need to provide a good one.  If you/your wife/her sister can provide evidence that you have the funds to pay for her visit (bank statements), the fact that she has no money herself is unlikely to be an issue.

brewsterbudgen is spot on, whilst you, your wife and her sister are able to provide financial support and accommodation for your niece for the duration of her trip, she will need to satisfy the decision maker at the UKVI that she will return home at the conclusion of her trip.

She really will need to provide evidence of her ties to Thailand to achieve this.

Thanks guy's for taking the time to reply. Yeah the problem is proving the need to return, which we will make sure she does to build up a good profile for future trips. However with no husband or children and only parents and brothers and sisters in Thailand its going to be difficult.

She isn't working, so does she study?

If so, evidence of this such as a letter from her university/college/school confirming she is a student there, that her holiday is acceptable and when she is expected back.

If not, then a cv; when did she finish her studies/school/last job, prospects for future employment etc.

My sister-in-law has obtained two visit visas without having any permanent, full time work or other concrete ties to Thailand and will be applying again in the near future. She is a lot older than your niece (I assume) but that shouldn't make much difference.

As said above, finances for the trip can come from you and your wife, your UK resident sister in law, her parents, someone else or any combination of these. Whoever is contributing to the costs needs to provide evidence of their ability to do so.

How old is she? If under 18 she will need parental consent.

I agree it may help to provide a history of study, qualifications etc but then build a picture of future plans in Thailand. Is she planning to study further? What work ambitions is she hoping to achieve? Is she in a long term relationship in Thailand?

An ECO is going to work on the balance of probability rather than cast iron guarantees.

It can be done but only if you look at the application with a slightly cynical eye! What can you do to help convince the ECO?

Never bend/distort the truth in any application because it may well come back and bite you at a later stage.