Thailand’s Casual Racism Returns: Comedian in blackface wins 'Best Dressed' award at elite party

snoop1130

1 hour ago, Witblitz said:

:cheesy: an apologist.....a Thai lady is a casual racist for wearing black face, but Robert Downey Jr is misunderstood..classic

Tropic Thunder had no "message"  or "moral tale" it was trying to tell....it was just a very bad trashy movie

Are you kidding?

The whole movie was worth it just to see Tom Cruise doing the character of Les Grossman. Brilliant stuff.

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

In the UK kids (white, black, brown or whatever) are not allowed to play with once-popular traditional black dolls called golliwogs because they have been officially banned as racist. 

However, white dolls of all shapes, sizes and appearance, remain on sale to be enjoyed by white, brown and black kids alike. 

I'm not sure about the availability of Asian dolls - maybe you have to go somewhere like Thailand or Cambodia for the chance to play with one of these! (Only joking of course, but I can already hear the invective flowing from the femifascists).

The rulers of my homeland are clearly going bonkers in their bid to save the failed experiment of multiculturalism, which has given minority groups power vastly disproportionate to their presence.

Mercifully, their collective lunacy and betrayal of their people have been rewarded by the Brexit vote. All Brits need to do now is ensure it sticks.

As for the Thai girl who darkened her skin and dressed up as a black rapper - just ask yourself this: Had she turned up as, say, a Geisha with painted white face and kimono, would Coconuts and the "progressives" among their followers still be getting their knickers in a twist? 

56 minutes ago, Krataiboy said:

In the UK kids (white, black, brown or whatever) are not allowed to play with once-popular traditional black dolls called golliwogs because they have been officially banned as racist. 

However, white dolls of all shapes, sizes and appearance, remain on sale to be enjoyed by white, brown and black kids alike. 

I'm not sure about the availability of Asian dolls - maybe you have to go somewhere like Thailand or Cambodia for the chance to play with one of these! (Only joking of course, but I can already hear the invective flowing from the femifascists).

The rulers of my homeland are clearly going bonkers in their bid to save the failed experiment of multiculturalism, which has given minority groups power vastly disproportionate to their presence.

Mercifully, their collective lunacy and betrayal of their people have been rewarded by the Brexit vote. All Brits need to do now is ensure it sticks.

As for the Thai girl who darkened her skin and dressed up as a black rapper - just ask yourself this: Had she turned up as, say, a Geisha with painted white face and kimono, would Coconuts and the "progressives" among their followers still be getting their knickers in a twist? 

As do black and brown dolls of all shapes and sizes that do not ridicule black people like golliwogs did.

Wake up mate, clear the crap out of your eyes and stop making out that, somehow, your right to free speech is being curtailed just because you can't call a black person a sambo or a nig-nog and soften the impact with a sheepish chuckle afterwards as if it's harmless.

Multiculturalism has worked. I went back to London earlier this year and it was great seeing black, white, Asian kids hanging out together. The dinosaurs are dying out - thank God - and today, many kids don't even see colour

As for your final point, a little while ago, one of the luxury malls - I think it was Siam Paragon - had a huge poster in which Thais and/or farangs stretched their eyes to emulate Chinese people. There was outrage among Thai and foreigner alike about racism. 

You people who claim to be besieged by political correctness can always find some bullshit anecdote to support your absurd claims that, somehow, because the "harmless" racist jokes of cretins like Jim Davidson and Alf Garnett, all colour has been bleached out of life need to get with it and realise that socially conscious people who know how ridicule affects others simply won't tolerate it any more.

Let's have a little experiment on upcoming Halloween!

On one side, we will see a bunch of sexy nuns...with cleavage and stockings and all the cruzifixes you can ask for!

Why don't WE get ourselves some orange cloth, wear a flesh colored bathing- cap and flip flops!

Let's see how Thailand is taking their own medicine!

Not racist, my arsch!

1 hour ago, KarenBravo said:

Are you kidding?

The whole movie was worth it just to see Tom Cruise doing the character of Les Grossman. Brilliant stuff.

some of the lefty loonies would brand you an Anti-Semite for making those remarks

13 minutes ago, Agent Sumo said:

As do black and brown dolls of all shapes and sizes that do not ridicule black people like golliwogs did.

Wake up mate, clear the crap out of your eyes and stop making out that, somehow, your right to free speech is being curtailed just because you can't call a black person a sambo or a nig-nog and soften the impact with a sheepish chuckle afterwards as if it's harmless.

Multiculturalism has worked. I went back to London earlier this year and it was great seeing black, white, Asian kids hanging out together. The dinosaurs are dying out - thank God - and today, many kids don't even see colour

As for your final point, a little while ago, one of the luxury malls - I think it was Siam Paragon - had a huge poster in which Thais and/or farangs stretched their eyes to emulate Chinese people. There was outrage among Thai and foreigner alike about racism. 

You people who claim to be besieged by political correctness can always find some bullshit anecdote to support your absurd claims that, somehow, because the "harmless" racist jokes of cretins like Jim Davidson and Alf Garnett, all colour has been bleached out of life need to get with it and realise that socially conscious people who know how ridicule affects others simply won't tolerate it any more.

Those kids are not hanging out with each other because of multiculturalism, but despite it. They are hanging out together because of assimilation. Multiculturalism prevents assimilation and has proven to be a massive failure in the UK. 

11 minutes ago, GarryP said:

Those kids are not hanging out with each other because of multiculturalism, but despite it. They are hanging out together because of assimilation. Multiculturalism prevents assimilation and has proven to be a massive failure in the UK. 

I doubt those kids give a stuff about "assimilation" or "multiculturalism". 

They just get on with each other

It's no more racist than the word FARANG . One word which is a type of white fruit used to refer to an entire race of white people...

Imagine the outrage if it was one word for all blacks, indians, chinese etc etc. But somehow, farang is accepted and used in the media.

If these places are going to highlight 'casual racism' then they should at least have the same standard for everybody!

It's no more racist than the word FARANG . One word which is a type of white fruit used to refer to an entire race of white people...

Imagine the outrage if it was one word for all blacks, indians, chinese etc etc. But somehow, farang is accepted and used in the media.

If these places are going to highlight 'casual racism' then they should at least have the same standard for everybody!

Yep its bizzare, even when posters are on one hand decrying racism they then use the word farang, just highlights to the extent the original 'soft rascism' exists and has become accepted especially on here, bit like the 70's when rascism was the.norm but they all worked or had a black friend, the answer was ' well he aint like all the others. just another example on another on this forum I challenged someone because they were continually moaning about the appearance of ethnic actors in period Dramas, I was like what exactly dont you undestand about its a story a drama, part make belueve.,, the responce i got was shocking, 'ah he doesnt mean anything ' 'hes not rascist' the

overwhelming responce by regular posters backed his view up. SOFT RASCISM. Still he persisted that he wasnt a rascist when he explained that he didn't

like their were 2 many asians in his home town,, thats aside, however the point is 'soft rascism is very much alive and unchecked on this forum.

most thai are dark too compared to us "superior" long noses. they are called dam and considered ugly. they dont appear in soaps unless very occasionally as maid or farmer. if they are females that is. a dark guy is no problem. lol. asians and black. nothing new. the khmer rouge went the other way. they slaughtered all white skinned khmers/chinese/vietnamese. people will be people... useless.

8 hours ago, SlyAnimal said:

I always think it's silly how some people get offended at every tiny little thing. I personally don't see anything wrong with "black face" unless they portray a black person in a negative light (much the same as dressing up as any race and then enforcing negative stereotypes).

People need to be more accurate about using the term "blackface". Used properly,  it means blackening your skin and representing people of black African ethnicity in a negative and patronising way. Blackening your skin for any other purpose, such as the fair-minded portrayal of dark-skinned people of any ethnicity in plays and films, is not "blackface" - it is just cosmetic adaptation which is a normal part of the acting profession.

That applies to the Western world that I come from. The category this Thai comedian comes into, judging from the information given so far, appears to be a distinctly Thai one: witless performer.

Edited by sprq
more precision

39 minutes ago, Naam said:

it is indeed terribly racist when foreigner is called "foreigner"  :coffee1:   

It doesn't mean foreigner... it started as meaning French, then adapted to 'Farang' , the white apple-like fruit. And don't be fooled, Thais are smart and they knowingly use in a derogatory way a lot of the time.  

I'm no PC zealot but when some Thai man calls to me 'You, farang, come here'  it makes me pretty angry 

It doesn't mean foreigner... it started as meaning French, then adapted to 'Farang' , the white apple-like fruit. And don't be fooled, Thais are smart and they knowingly use in a derogatory way a lot of the time.  

I'm no PC zealot but when some Thai man calls to me 'You, farang, come here'  it makes me pretty angry 

Yeah All these terms, current and.historically tend to be duplicitous, and as so thefore deemed as ok to use. But forget pc, its a bollacks label ridiculed mainly by ignorance thats a diferent arguement this is about REALISING whats right or wrong and if wrong changing it.

1 hour ago, Father Fintan Stack said:

It doesn't mean foreigner though, it comes from the Sanskrit for the Franks, and is now used to describe white Westerners.

If it meant foreigner, Cambodians and Chinese would be called farangs too, but we know that isn't the case. 

having worked in the Middle East i know very well that it's used for western foreigners. and in all arabic speaking countrys "franji" is used for that purpose. in Farsi "farangi", in Urdu and Hindustani "firangi" is used. and it all means "foreigner" that the expression is not used for Asians is irrelevant and does neither make it racist or derogatory . period!

by the way, i have never seen a "white" westerner.

1 hour ago, RandolphGB said:

It may have started from the word 'frank', which were a Germanic tribe not French, or it may have started from the Sanskrit word 'firangi' which means foreigner, no one knows for sure, but what is certain is that the "white apple-like fruit", known in English as the guava, became known as farang in Thailand later than white people, most probably due to them being brought to Asia by the Portuguese, the same with potatoes, 'man farang', man being a tuber and farang being something from the farangs.

It is not in essence a derogatory word, but in usage of course it can be.

2 hours ago, RandolphGB said:

and now you are trying to tell us that "some Thai man" called you like this? gimme a break man! :lol:

34 minutes ago, Shawn0000 said:

It is not in essence a derogatory word, but in usage of course it can be.

any expression/sentence can be derogatory depending on the situtation and how it is said. when i tell our gardener in an angry voice "Honourable Sir Gardener Esq... when i return from a visit to my dentist and the space between the hedge and the front fence is still not cleaned out then..." it is not meant in a very polite way.