Hackers steal 12.29 million baht from GSB’s ATMs

webfact

• Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Similar happened in Taiwan last month.

Three foreign suspects have been arrested in Taiwan in connection with the theft of $2.5m (£1.9m) from cash machines around the country.

A network of criminals from eastern Europe and Russia used malware to hack into dozens of First Commercial Bank ATMs, police say.

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-asia-36824507

2 hours ago, halloween said:

Don't see that to be the case. The ATM has only a very limited set of preprogrammed responses depending on which buttons are pushed. The content of the screen display could be in any language as they are simply images. There are no inputs in Thai language.

It could be but the machine manufacturers don't usually do the software. That is normally farmed out to a software company

The fact that it was on a number of ATMs - all from one manufacturer -  tells me it was a targeted attack, introduced from GSB's network, either remotely via a compromised machine, or with the help of someone inside.

It's still their fault.

"He said that the stolen money belong to the bank, not the customers, so GSB would demand compensation from the manufacturer of the machines. "

Had it belonged to customers the Thai Banks SOP is f you, nice to see the change in outlook when it's THEIR money.

15 hours ago, gdgbb said:

No, it doesn't, it shows how insecure NCR cash dispensers are.

That's just dumb.

It's a bit like a prison warden claiming his prison is secure, arguing it's the locks keeping the inmates in that are not secure.

Or your surgeon telling your wife that your death was not his failing, but the failure of the operation.

Are you a lawyer, a bad one?

Readers need to interpret the spin here and not take this announcement (from only one side) at face value.

GSB were forced to spike the story. If somebody else announces it (say, a newspaper) they look as if they have lost control. Banks must have customer confidence. You don't want a bank run.

GSB need to ensure customer confidence is not dented. They must also reassure shareholders (The Thai Government) that there will be no profit hit.

So, they introduce a foreign company (bogeyman) and confidently claim they will recoup all losses from that foreign company. (p.s. incorporation is not devolved in the UK, ..... yet)

They know full well that they will not receive a satang from the foreign ATM supplier. I would also bet they will not even instigate any civil proceedings. The truth is unimportant. The goal is to reassure customers and shareholders and hide the real truth of internal collusion in fraud.

It reminds me of the numerous announcements regarding opponents of the government residing abroad. They government announced they would be putting in extradition requests. Almost without exception, no extradition requests were placed.

The messages are not truthful but they are intended for an audience and to have the desired effect on that audience.

the bank will demand compensation from the manufucturer.

Right, faste your seat belts folks, there's bound to be a sit in on a public road in or around Bangkok by the Board of this bank.

(after the manufacturer suggested to see the culprits first!)

15 hours ago, Hawk said:

Yes it does  show how unsafe Thai banks really are, as it casts yet another light on all the Thai banking flaws.

1. Thai banks as far as I know don't manufacture ATMs so not really seeing how that can be their fault.

2. Most banks insure against cash thefts.

3. 12 million baht is ridiculously small compared with hundreds of billions of baht most mid size Thai banks have on their balance sheet.

4. In fact very little of any bank's assets are in cash, most is in the form of loans, so unless they have given out a large percentage of risky loans- something that no one outside of a few GSB insiders could possibly know - then could you please enlighten us about all the flaws of Thai banks because last time I checked it was American and European banks that were flawed with many either collapsing or requiring tax payer money to prevent their own insolvency.

In fact I dare say most European, Japanese, American and soon to be Chinese banks will only be able to stay solvent due to government "quantitative easing" help.

Can you even name one Thai bank that collapsed in the last decade? What about in the 21st century?

But don't let facts get in the way of your fairytale, all of us love having someone to laugh at.

Edited by Time Traveller

17 hours ago, NCC1701A said:

" that 21 of the ATMs had been hacked with the use of Malware programme. "

which magically appeared on your ATM's ultra secure computers.

"He said that the stolen money belong to the bank, not the customers, so GSB would demand compensation from the manufacturer of the machines. "

thanks for the heads up on your banks policy.

Sooo.... if the money on the other hand belonged to the customers......

Hmmm....did some bank employee download a game and played it on the ATM?

Edited by AlQaholic

14 hours ago, gdgbb said:

Very often foreign companies are contracted by Thai banks to set up their security systems.

If you have to blame someone, then it is the IT Chief of this bank, he or she should be responsible for all acquisition in software/hardware. The foreign company if they need, they will go off and then return under another name with lots of bugfix. The customers (the Thai bank in this case) is always in the bad side.

Education is always the key, they buy software from foreign company because they do not have the knowledge/competence to develop their own.

15 hours ago, Don Mega said:

21 x 40,000 = 12.29 million

am I missing something ?

Thanks Don---yea I did my maths too and came up with 840,000------- thats a massive interest hike for the Banks to start negotiations with Scotland---You can always come down a tad

I don't buy the story. No way is it possible for any hacker to break into the software of an ATM, unless he made the software himself.

There is something else going on here.....in connection with the ATM cards most probably.

Edited by AlQaholic

15 hours ago, Hawk said:

so GSB would demand compensation from the manufacturer of the machines."

The weakness is obviously in the software not in the machine itself. So who designed the Thai software?

Interesting point. Therefore it could be between Thai bank's full responsibility for leaking the core passwords or  the faulty implementation by software developer. Hard to confirm which?

The problem came from Europe not Thailand. Europe is not doing enough to stop these hackers from Eastern Europe.

Why are people blaming Thailand. It happens 100 times more in Europe.

Everyone is affected. I'm scared to withdraw money in Europe as well as Asia. Its a worldwide problem but the hackers are based in Eastern Europe.

14 hours ago, dabhand said:

Similar happened in Taiwan last month.

Three foreign suspects have been arrested in Taiwan in connection with the theft of $2.5m (£1.9m) from cash machines around the country.

A network of criminals from eastern Europe and Russia used malware to hack into dozens of First Commercial Bank ATMs, police say.

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-asia-36824507

In May, hackers stole $12 million from atms in Japan in a period of 3 hours!