levono laptop

jpmerlin

I was a firm believer of Lenovo's (or actually IBM's) for more than an decade. Lenovo finally managed to destroy the build quality. To the extend that my last Lenovo Thinkpad lasted only for few months, until it gave up. Imho Lenovo's are now just plastic junk, which don't last long enough. 

2 hours ago, oilinki said:

I was a firm believer of Lenovo's (or actually IBM's) for more than an decade. Lenovo finally managed to destroy the build quality. To the extend that my last Lenovo Thinkpad lasted only for few months, until it gave up. Imho Lenovo's are now just plastic junk, which don't last long enough. 

I have two laptops and an AIO, the oldest about five years.

They are quality builds and they last.

Perhaps you went for a cheap model.

13 minutes ago, Chicog said:

I have two laptops and an AIO, the oldest about five years.

They are quality builds and they last.

Perhaps you went for a cheap model.

I indeed got the cheap model. The cheap model of so famous Thinkpad. It was Thinkpad Edge, which I hoped to be as good as the many other Thinkpad models, but without less bells and whistles. I really wasn't using the fingerprint scanner on my previous Thinkpad.

At the end of the day my newly purchased Lenovo Thinkpad broke down, physically. I did send it to warranty repairs in Phuket. Nothing happened in first 2 weeks. I called their Malaysian service center, nothing happened after that.. and I finally gave up. 

I lost a newly purchased Thinkpad. It was no longer usable as a laptop use. Currently that machine is using as my home server running linux, with serious physical problems. It tends to halt almost every day. 

The lesson is: Don't buy Lenovo. Their hardware quality is crap and their warranty service is non-existent. 

I learned my lesson and got a Mac Book Air as my laptop. I have been happy for the build quality ever since. 

Like I said, I have an older, very solid old Thinkpad; a Thinkpad Twist (which you'd expect to be prone to break, but I bought a dozen or so for my team and not one has had to be repaired); and an Ideacentre; and none of them exhibit the same qualities as the cheapo PoS that you bought.

Perhaps you get what you pay for?

7 hours ago, Chicog said:

Like I said, I have an older, very solid old Thinkpad; a Thinkpad Twist (which you'd expect to be prone to break, but I bought a dozen or so for my team and not one has had to be repaired); and an Ideacentre; and none of them exhibit the same qualities as the cheapo PoS that you bought.

Perhaps you get what you pay for?

If I recall correctly, it was 20.000 baht. Yes cheap, nowhere near to the 100.000 baht X1 carbon, which I would had purchased unless I had this incident. 

The bigger problem was the total lack of support from the only authorized service centre in my town. The fact that the hinges on this model had caused problems for others earlier and yet the Thinkpad service was not covering it. 

If Lenovo has such an nonexistent support services, their current products are really not worth of buying. 

The good what came from this was that I finally gave up using Linux on my laptop and purchased the MBA, which was less than half of the price of X1 carbon. I now understand why others have praised the Apple build quality so much over the years. 

58 minutes ago, oilinki said:

If I recall correctly, it was 20.000 baht. Yes cheap, nowhere near to the 100.000 baht X1 carbon, which I would had purchased unless I had this incident. 

The bigger problem was the total lack of support from the only authorized service centre in my town. The fact that the hinges on this model had caused problems for others earlier and yet the Thinkpad service was not covering it. 

If Lenovo has such an nonexistent support services, their current products are really not worth of buying. 

The good what came from this was that I finally gave up using Linux on my laptop and purchased the MBA, which was less than half of the price of X1 carbon. I now understand why others have praised the Apple build quality so much over the years. 

OK, then you shouldn't conflate build quality with poor support, because that's clearly what you're narked about.

OK, then you shouldn't conflate build quality with poor support, because that's clearly what you're narked about.

It was the build quality which failed first.
After that came the bad Lenovo support.

On 8/24/2016 at 11:04 AM, oilinki said:

I bought a consumer grade Lenovo Laptop as a graduation gift two years ago.  Motherboard fried 10 months in.  Took it to Lenovo Service then at Pantip...turned out to be a 3rd party service provider.  Held the computer for close to 2 months...When it was finally returned: same problem.

When I took it back..."Sorry...warranty finish."

Took six months of letter writing and phone calls to get if repaired correctly.

No more Lenovo's for me.

4 hours ago, dddave said:

I bought a consumer grade Lenovo Laptop as a graduation gift two years ago.  Motherboard fried 10 months in.  Took it to Lenovo Service then at Pantip...turned out to be a 3rd party service provider.  Held the computer for close to 2 months...When it was finally returned: same problem.

When I took it back..."Sorry...warranty finish."

Took six months of letter writing and phone calls to get if repaired correctly.

No more Lenovo's for me.

That is pretty poor, and it would put me off too.

I have two Lenovo laptops....one an i7 CPU based about 3 years old and an i5 CPU based about 1  year old....both work fine...both running Win 10...no problems to date (knock on wood).

Edit: whoops I forget the 3 year old Lenovo did developed a keyboard problem at around the 20 month point where certain keys were intermittent....this laptop model had a 2 year warranty...took it to a Lenovo service center in western Bangkok...showed them the problem.  They ordered keyboard from their main repair  center in central Bangkok...since I could still use the computer with an external USB keyboard I took the computer home...service center called me the next day saying the replacement keyboard was in ....I took the laptop to the service center where they replaced the keyboard in about 30 minutes....laptop been fine since.

Edited by Pib

On 23/08/2016 at 5:28 PM, oilinki said:

I indeed got the cheap model. The cheap model of so famous Thinkpad. It was Thinkpad Edge, which I hoped to be as good as the many other Thinkpad models, but without less bells and whistles. I really wasn't using the fingerprint scanner on my previous Thinkpad.

At the end of the day my newly purchased Lenovo Thinkpad broke down, physically. I did send it to warranty repairs in Phuket. Nothing happened in first 2 weeks. I called their Malaysian service center, nothing happened after that.. and I finally gave up. 

I lost a newly purchased Thinkpad. It was no longer usable as a laptop use. Currently that machine is using as my home server running linux, with serious physical problems. It tends to halt almost every day. 

The lesson is: Don't buy Lenovo. Their hardware quality is crap and their warranty service is non-existent. 

I learned my lesson and got a Mac Book Air as my laptop. I have been happy for the build quality ever since. 

Hmmmm.... I had a Thinkpad Edge. Lovely keyboard, sturdy machine and worked fine for a while. Then the intermittent fault started where the machine just hung in the air. Only solution appeared to be pulling out/in the battery. I lived with this solution for a while until the repetition drove me mad and eventually took it to Tukcom for a hoped for more permanent fix. Came back working OK (hurrah!) and then one week later more of what went before until I said screw this, life is too short and took peanuts in p/e for an ASUS laptop. Never going back to Lenovo.

Edited by SheungWan

Funny that, I bought a top of the range ASUS and it randomly locks up when I try and use any version of Windows from 7 on.

Took it back and they changed the motherboard twice, still the same problem.

When the warranty expired, I ended up putting Kali on it, and it runs Linux flawlessly.

Yet it's supposedly a Windows certified machine.

I would never buy another ASUS.