tv buying confusion

wanderluster

4 hours ago, teatree said:

Buy a Sony.

Nooooooo ! Don't buy a Sony.. Load of digital rights isues, Doesn't like downloaded movies, Fussy about file extensions and a PITA menu system.

I've got this lot at the moment 

smart 65' Samsung - Good pic etc but menu can be a bit annoying - plays anything, linked to my network, Sonos and a WD tv player

smart 50"LG - Same setup as Samsung but menus are better and it is faster

Dumb Panasonic - Old 42" Plasma but it has a great pic - (Makes a great room heater too:whistling: )

smart 42" Sony - Good pic but pain to use for reasons above.

Next TV will be another LG

6 hours ago, Pdaz said:

Nooooooo ! Don't buy a Sony.. Load of digital rights isues, Doesn't like downloaded movies, Fussy about file extensions and a PITA menu system.

I've got this lot at the moment 

smart 65' Samsung - Good pic etc but menu can be a bit annoying - plays anything, linked to my network, Sonos and a WD tv player

smart 50"LG - Same setup as Samsung but menus are better and it is faster

Dumb Panasonic - Old 42" Plasma but it has a great pic - (Makes a great room heater too:whistling: )

smart 42" Sony - Good pic but pain to use for reasons above.

Next TV will be another LG

I have two (1TB) portable hard drives filled with movies no problem playing.  It's android TV so uses all of the formats that android TV uses. And no problem running VPN necessary in Thailand for Netflix and many other things. 

http://helpguide.sony.net/tv/cga1/v1/en-142/contents/TP_codeclist_other.html

Check the LG webos compared to Android TV/

Edited by Scotwight

On 8/24/2016 at 8:52 AM, Henryford said:

Don't buy a Samsung, mine went after only 2 years. LG are the best now.

I baught a 50 inch Samsung TV 6 years ago Last year it went pop, I took it to a local repair shop to be informed that it needed a new board at a cost of 9,000 baht, went on the net searching for problems relating to Samsung TVS  found some results stating that the capacitors were under powered instead of 10 volt fitted in mine, the new ones are fitted with 15 volt, in the UK Samsung repaired faulty ones free of Charge. My next move was to contact Samsung Thailand, they actually quoted me 12,000 baht ?? tried to explain it was there fault in fitting under powered capacitors, & that in the U/K repaired the sets free of charge, to be told you do not live in the U/K this is Thailand, next move I took out the board that gad the faulty capacitors back to the local tv shop asked them if could order all 3 & make them 24 volt, guess what they had some in stock 500 baht & a 1 hour wait job done, a mate of mine near where we lived had the same problem, he went out & bought a 50'' LG,  I told him about the problem & how to sort it he now has the old Samsung in his bedroom          

On 25/8/2016 at 6:32 PM, impulse said:

I got familiar with TCL living in China for years.  In BKK, I have a Toshiba, a Samsung and 3 TCLs between home and office.  24" -50", all full HD or 4K.

The TCLs were by far the cheapest, and I can't see any difference in quality or performance.  I may change my mind after a few years, but as of today- TCL is the best value.

Bought a 32in TCL HD plasma in 2009 (8xxx baht, extremely cheap 7 yrs ago), used daily, all day (the Thai side of the house)

1 yr old 48in TCL FHD (12xxx bht on promo in Big C) in the other side of the house.

Never had any problem with either.

Edited by DLang

It seems like everyone has a different opinion. I had a 32 inch Sony Bravia in my condo bedroom. I was irritated with it because everything is proprietary. It was very seldom used because I only visit the condo every six weeks or so. The last visit the picture disappeared. The sound was still working. It has been in a shop for about three weeks for getting an estimate for the repair. No estimate yet. I told them after waiting a couple of weeks that if the repair was more than 3,000 baht to forget it. Apparently they HAVE forgotten it.

I have a 32 inch Samsung at home that has been very good. I have a smaller cheap TCL that is on our outside patio. They both play a hard drive with movies on it that the Sony wouldn't play. (Not compatible). My next trip down, I will buy a 29 inch TCL for the condo bedroom.