Whips agree senators have the right to pick outsider as candidate for premiership’s post

webfact

Whips agree senators have the right to pick outsider as candidate for premiership’s post

890_Whip-wpcf_728x409.jpg

BANGKOK: - The whips of the “three rivers” have concurred that the appointed senators will have the right to propose an outsider as a candidate for the prime minister’s post if the elected House members fail to select a prime minister from their parties’ lists of candidates.

Mr Surachai Liangboonlertchai, vice president of the National Legislative Assembly, said whips of the NLA, the cabinet and the National Reform Steering Council met on Wednesday to discuss the attached question in the referendum.

The majority of the voters voted in favour of appointed senators joining House members in the selection of the next prime minister.

Mr Surachai said the whips of the “three rivers” agreed in unison that the appointed senators are entitled to pick an outsider for the premiership post if the House members cannot settle among themselves who will be their prime minister among their lists of candidates.

The NLA vice president further said he had been in touch with Deputy Prime Minister Wisanu Krea-ngarm about amending the interim charter to increase the number of senators from 220 to 250.

The NLA, he said, will discuss this issue at a meeting on Friday and is expected to wrap up the issue in one day.

Source: http://englishnews.thaipbs.or.th/whips-agree-senators-right-pick-outsider-candidate-premierships-post/

thaipbs_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Thai PBS 2016-08-25

1 minute ago, NongKhaiKid said:

All loopholes to prevent total control will slowly be closed claiming this is what people who voted Yes in the referendum want.

Yes, it's very predictable, isn't it? We can see which way this is going ...

50 minutes ago, NongKhaiKid said:

All loopholes to prevent total control will slowly be closed claiming this is what people who voted Yes in the referendum want.

48 minutes ago, Eligius said:

Yes, it's very predictable, isn't it? We can see which way this is going ...

maybe they will all vote for Yingluc - the best PM Thailand has ever had, she spearheaded the dirty scam that attempted to get her brother amnesty at any cost and in the end caused mass demonstrations in the streets - murders of innocent people including children - bombs and grenade attacks on justice system - moves to divide Thailand in half - red army training camps, not to mention the sweetners to get elected - the usual vote buying - one tablet for schools (were is it now) - first car scheme (households now in debt buying cars they didn't need and now cannot pay for) - and of course not to forget the rice scam that is going to eventually cost the country upwards of 600 billion baht.

and the eventual downfall and failure of yet another corrupted elected government

Just what Thailand needs lol

no thanks

With all the fine tuning that's going on I wonder if the idea that people earning less than a certain amount should not be allowed to vote as below that amount they're regarded as not being able to understand what they're doing   ?

It's not a Thai idea originally as far as I know and I only heard it raised here after the Chief Executive of Hong Kong had voiced the opinion that anyone earning less than HK$13,000  (  approx Bt. 58,000  )   shouldn't be permitted the vote.

I can see how such an idea would find favour with certain people here   !

With all the fine tuning that's going on I wonder if the idea that people earning less than a certain amount should not be allowed to vote as below that amount they're regarded as not being able to understand what they're doing   ?

It's not a Thai idea originally as far as I know and I only heard it raised here after the Chief Executive of Hong Kong had voiced the opinion that anyone earning less than HK$13,000  (  approx Bt. 58,000  )   shouldn't be permitted the vote.

That soft moaning noise you just heard was the usual suspects. ....

6 minutes ago, NongKhaiKid said:

It has long been acknowledged that one of the weaknesses of democracy is that the village idiot(s?) have the same voting rights as a professor of political science. To date, nobody has come up with an elegant solution to the problem, all suggestions being unwieldy and unpopular, though some limited versions such as disenfranchising prisoners are applied. If you realise that prisons are largely filled by sub-par IQ and the mentally ill, you will understand the logic.

You see how that would be popular, but nobody has suggested such a proposal on this forum AFAIK.  Yet you like to use you imaginary advocacy to denigrate others.

7 minutes ago, halloween said:

It has long been acknowledged that one of the weaknesses of democracy is that the village idiot(s?) have the same voting rights as a professor of political science. To date, nobody has come up with an elegant solution to the problem, all suggestions being unwieldy and unpopular, though some limited versions such as disenfranchising prisoners are applied. If you realise that prisons are largely filled by sub-par IQ and the mentally ill, you will understand the logic.

You see how that would be popular, but nobody has suggested such a proposal on this forum AFAIK.  Yet you like to use you imaginary advocacy to denigrate others.

But you see, no matter the brain power, people are always going to be left, right or a fence-sitter. A uni professor is also going to be just as intimidated by a political party's activists or the military, same as a farmer or road sweeper.

Brainpower shouldn't effect your birthright to have a say in the running of that piece of land on which you were born.

20 minutes ago, halloween said:

It was hinted at here but fortunately I can't be more specific which will suit your needs and insults nicely.

12 minutes ago, jesimps said:

But you see, no matter the brain power, people are always going to be left, right or a fence-sitter. A uni professor is also going to be just as intimidated by a political party's activists or the military, same as a farmer or road sweeper.

Brainpower shouldn't effect your birthright to have a say in the running of that piece of land on which you were born.

I'm sure you know more about democracy then Winston Churchill. I however agree that the profoundly retarded and mentally ill should not be allowed to vote if they are unable to understand what they are voting for. Extrapolation to farmers and road sweepers is your own construct.

"The best argument against democracy is a five-minute conversation with the average voter." - Winston Churchill

8 minutes ago, NongKhaiKid said:

It was hinted at here but fortunately I can't be more specific which will suit your needs and insults nicely.

Aw diddums, you feel insulted because somebody pointed out your baseless slur. I do apologise.

2 minutes ago, halloween said:

Aw diddums, you feel insulted because somebody pointed out your baseless slur. I do apologise.

:cheesy:     Apology  ?   Once more with sincerity.    :cheesy:

Edited by NongKhaiKid

up to now a lot of people vote the way they are told with an incentive, something that must change going forward, since past elected governments are complicit with the problem there was no possible way it could ever change. Now there just might be a chance 

6 minutes ago, smedly said:

up to now a lot of people vote the way they are told with an incentive, something that must change going forward, since past elected governments are complicit with the problem there was no possible way it could ever change. Now there just might be a chance 

So, halfwits and yokels bribed to vote when you don't like the outcome and 'Clearly the people have spoken' when you do. That's how your post reads, anyway...

1 hour ago, halloween said:

In Thailand it has always been the 'educated' who have ruled, made the systems etc. If anyone should be held responsible for the corruption and general malaise in the country it is them rather than the local village idiot. They are the ones who created the system which can be abused so much.

4 minutes ago, smutcakes said:

In Thailand it has always been the 'educated' who have ruled, made the systems etc. If anyone should be held responsible for the corruption and general malaise in the country it is them rather than the local village idiot. They are the ones who created the system which can be abused so much.

What has that to do with enfranchisement of the mentally impaired? And if you agree that the old system was easily subject to abuse, why are you so opposed to attempts to change it?

5 minutes ago, halloween said:

What has that to do with enfranchisement of the mentally impaired? And if you agree that the old system was easily subject to abuse, why are you so opposed to attempts to change it?

I am not opposed to change, i am fully aware things need to change. History tells us repeatedly that the Thai army have no interest of changing the system, only ensuring their and their supporters are the ones that benefit from it, the same as any political party.

1 minute ago, smutcakes said:

I am not opposed to change, i am fully aware things need to change. History tells us repeatedly that the Thai army have no interest of changing the system, only ensuring their and their supporters are the ones that benefit from it, the same as any political party.

If you haven't noticed that things ARE changing, that would be a "personal problem".