Been Offered A Senior Job Back In The Uk

Casanundra

The changes we have been seeing in Thailand over the past few months saw me sticking my CV out to the world at large (just out of curiosity) and woe and behold I go and get two Senior blue chip company job offers this week. One is for 70k GBP plus plus and the other is 90k GBP plus plus. The only problem is I have to go back to the UK to work on a full time basis. :o

I have a good crack here in Thailand (job, lifestyle etc...) but currently only managing to save about 6k GBP per year which isn't enough for a long term retirement plan. If I go back to the UK I could save enough in 3 to 4 years to top up my current offshore funds to allow me to comfortably come back and retire in Thailand. I am however only 39 and currently too young to retire in LOS properly as I have to wait until I am 50 for that.

Given the choice, what would you do? Would you stick it out and maintain a static once a year visa type lifestyle here in LOS or go back to blightly for a few more years and top up the retirement plan wonger?

Edited by Casanundra

Interesting dilemma, but reading between the lines it seems you have decided to go already. You sound sorely tempted to go, and the very fact of putting your cv out there suggests an implicit desire to do it.

So there you are . . .

I can understand your dilemma. I'm thinking of taking a career break and having a year off . . I could retire now (42), but suspect i would get bored. My sense is that if I take a year off and see how I feel at the end of it, I would just need to go back to the UK, Australia or the US to earrn enough for 2-3 years and then come back.

Good luck.

Given the choice, what would you do?

In your circumstances I would probably go back and earn for a secure future in Thailand, but this would depend on your personal circumstances - i.e. whether you have a partner who go along with the changes.

Congratulations on the offers and good luck in whatever you decide to do!

Interesting dilemma, but reading between the lines it seems you have decided to go already. You sound sorely tempted to go, and the very fact of putting your cv out there suggests an implicit desire to do it.

So there you are . . .

I can understand your dilemma. I'm thinking of taking a career break and having a year off . . I could retire now (42), but suspect i would get bored. My sense is that if I take a year off and see how I feel at the end of it, I would just need to go back to the UK, Australia or the US to earrn enough for 2-3 years and then come back.

Good luck.

You stay just where you are.

i had 12 month career breaks every 5 or 6 years and came to thailand to take it easy.

found it very difficult to return to the uk at the end of those periods , always seemed to be around november time , a terrible time to go back to the uk , but now early retired in my fifties i am very glad i made the effort and went back.

if you have the chance of a 90k job back there for a few years , then at your age you would be crazy not to take it. if you can be a saver rather than a spender for those years then so much the better.

You have two choices with their attendant outcomes.

1. Stay, and spend the rest of your life wondering what would have happened/where would yoy be had I gone?

2. Go, you'll always know where you would have been and what you would have been doing had you stayed and you can always come back.

90k jobs are not growing on trees even these days but a warning - the taxes will make your eyes water unless you make plans.

Go west young man I think is the phrase you are looking for.

90k jobs are not growing on trees even these days but a warning - the taxes will make your eyes water unless you make plans.

The tax brackets for the UK 2004/2005 are as follows (if under the age of 65:

up to £4,745 tax free

between £4,745 - £6,765 10%

between £6,765 - £36,145 22%

over £36,145 - 40% :o:D

Casa, go for it. Don't you have something like a doctorate, and work in education-related administration or consulting? What future do you have, professionally, in Thailand? You don't mention family ties that bind you to Thailand.

From the standpoints of career and retirement planning, the responses are loud and clear. Buy that heavy coat and umbrella, and go!

up to £4,745 tax free

But I don't think that your full salary is subject to 40% tax - only a part of it.

I made a similar choice four years ago and at about the same age. I was offered another extension to my posting in Thailand (UK Salary - all the expat add ons) but with more security of tenure in Thailand.

Or I could move on.

I chose to move on, and I do not regret it.

I take the view that I, and indeed you too, are at the age in life when making money is easier than it ever was or ever will be. 35~55 are the golden years of earning for anyone in the professions. And as you say, you can work a while and come back again.

If staying in Thailand means you are not making enough to save for the future then at some time your life in Thailand is going to become extremely difficult.

Tax wise, you can do two things to help with an early retirement plan:

1. Cram a lot of money into a personal pension, get the tax back on your contributions and build a fund to support you later.

2 Cram a lot of money into Tax Free Cash/Share Savings to give you a lump sum to start your retirement with.

GBP90K or even 70K is a lot of money, it offers the chance for real savings and real savings mean real choices later.

Choices when we are in the prime of life are all around us, a bonus that comes with these good years.

Choices when we are older are no longer a pleasent offering of life but an absolute necessity, we non of us can take the chance that there might be choices for us when we are old. We have to set the ground out ourselves to make the choices available. Now is the time to do that.

Edited by GuestHouse

[

up to £4,745 tax free

Not that much different in Thailand really. 37% for the top rate which kicks in at 4m baht or around 57k sterling.

The changes we have been seeing in Thailand over the past few months saw me sticking my CV out to the world at large (just out of curiosity) and woe and behold I go and get two Senior blue chip company job offers this week. One is for 70k GBP plus plus and the other is 90k GBP plus plus. The only problem is I have to go back to the UK to work on a full time basis. :o

I have a good crack here in Thailand (job, lifestyle etc...) but currently only managing to save about 6k GBP per year which isn't enough for a long term retirement plan. If I go back to the UK I could save enough in 3 to 4 years to top up my current offshore funds to allow me to comfortably come back and retire in Thailand. I am however only 39 and currently too young to retire in LOS properly as I have to wait until I am 50 for that.

Given the choice, what would you do? Would you stick it out and maintain a static once a year visa type lifestyle here in LOS or go back to blightly for a few more years and top up the retirement plan wonger?

What difference does it make what I would do? Sureley as it's your life, wouldn't it make more sense for you to decide???

What difference does it make what I would do? Surely as it's your life, wouldn't it make more sense for you to decide???

Of course it's ultimately my decision, but it's always good in a free society to get an alternative point of view especially when lifestyle is involved.

For example, is a cheap easy lifestyle and warm weather preferable to money, cold weather and a hum drum fast paced existence back in the UK. Short term plans versus long term plans etc...

I am sure if I asked "What money would it take for you to consider leaving Thailand" then I would probably have got some stupid answers in response with many saying things like a million trillion gadzillion dollars!

Edited by Casanundra

Ok did best of three and it's still heads.

Why not do it? as you said yourself things are a bit iffy here at the mo'.

Give it time, get the cash in the bank and hopefully things will have settled down here.

And if it doesn't sort itself out here you will have a better perspective from the outside of just where you want to be.

You know life isn't a bowl of cherries in the UK, just do what everyone else does there, earn the money then get the hel_l back out.

Good luck. :o

How about a middle path? Try looking for a job in Singapore .... close enough to be able to visit Thailand regularly but offering plenty of well paid jobs. My well paid expat gig in BKK came to an end recently after nearly 5 years. Chances of finding something similar in Thailand proved to be of the "slim and nil" variety, but even as a "local hire" in Singapore I've managed to keep my net income position broadly neutral. Of course, it may depend on what Cas' exact circumstances are.

Just a thought.....

CC

Thailand is great for me but only in small doses thats why I am quite happy to hear this morning that the Gov over "ere is planning to extend the retirement age up to 68....thats sounds about right.... :D

Good thing is at the moment the place is in a boom time work wise with a lot of dosh in the system and with so many new big projects going up...Terms 5 at Heathrow (T 6 on cards),

Luton/Stanstead /Gatwick/City airports Expansion,West Coast railway line re -construct,Kings X/St P station,Channel rail link,thousands and thousands of new houses to be built down river and just this morning plans for another 150,000 jobs down at Canary Wharf :D

The markets are pretty upbeat,house prices booming,savings rates UP and the whole of the west end is choka bloc full of pubs ,clubs ,resturants ,new hotels and night clubs (to spend your mullah in)

A job paying 90k is a nice one but more importantly you gotta negotiate a decent "lifestyle package" notibly giving you lots of holidays and...yes even more FEXI-TIME.... :D

That way you can fly out for a regular dose of LOS stays ...every second weekend. :o and still might just be able to afford a beer or two in Nana Plaza (wota rip-off)

Go back... make the dough Joe... maybe by the time your ready to come back the baht will be at a all time low and all that extra money can make life sweet... and even if the baht is still strong you will need the extra dough to make your twilight years comfortable.

Thailand will still be here when you choose to come back and hel_l if it sinks into the sea while your gone you can really count it as a win!