You just got 44'd: Prayut suspends Bangkok governor indefinitely

webfact

2 hours ago, halloween said:

I have to wonder how many of those denigrating this action were advocating exactly that action in the last thread about the governor, while claiming it would never happen to the corrupt Bangkok elite? Because I do recall pointing out the hypocrisy at the time.

Nothing really happen Halloween. He has yet to be convicted and sentenced. I doubt he will be as he still an elite albeit an alleged corrupted one. Maybe he asked to be moved as there are simply too much media pressure and he need to take himself off the spotlight. Prayut certainly took a long time to suspend him.

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

6 hours ago, Thian said:

No it's not, it's the war on corruption going on and the general is on top of it.

:cheesy::cheesy::cheesy:....     Thanks for the joke of the day, brilliant, you made my day,,,   huh,,, what, what's that???    You  were serious???

Ohh I'm sorry my bad,   it's just I didn't think  such  claim could be any thing other than a joke...

Although I'm happy he has been suspended, two years to late, there was already in place rules/legislation/laws in place in the hypothetical situation/event a governor needed to be removed,  just ask Halloween,  he thinks he's an expert on when rules/legislation/laws, can be passed.:whistling:  

The junta leader whipped out his trusty 44 for local and international consumption,  and some here are buying it, poor things, but most know this is a late and weak attempt at showing the people his is going after the corrupt no matter which political side of the fence they are on.

He want's trust and credibility but can not, will not do what is required for those two essential's for a legitimate leader to be attained.

20 hours ago, clockman said:

With his connections, can this happen?

the good general is completely in control now, he can do anything he wants with good old number 44. wonder if the mayor was not passing brown envelopes in the right direction. is this the first case of a result after more than 2 years of corruption fighting?

Section 44 also is basically the same tool that overthrew the last government in May 2014 and put Prayuth in power. My way or the highway. Personally, I am glad the BKK governor is out but I would like Prayuth to leave government and the public domain forever. Thailand has a lot better people than him around without megalomaniacal tendencies.

20 hours ago, clockman said:

With his connections, can this happen?

Seems Prayuth did see his connections and like they say in poker "I raise you" Prayuth would do nothing till he has sure of his footing. I think the good governor's connections have faded away a bit because of bad publicity over the last year. The elite here love money but hate bad publicity. 

5 hours ago, Winniedapu said:

"Almost nobody in Thailand can explain their wealth, you can keep whining over that but it's just a fact."

It isn't a fact just because you say it is. Cursory audits of wealth are a normal part of the political process in Thailand, one which is rorted as much here as anywhere. But Prayuth simply refused to be audited. Might seem normal to you but it isn't. 

"It's also a fact that the general is fighting corruption and making Thailand a better place."

Name 1 high-ranked person who's gone to prison for corruption. Lots of inactive posts of course, that's all a part of the smoke and mirrors the good general likes to use, and the victims will be back to normal as soon as the fuss dies down, Thais have only got a short little span of attention. But real corruption? Real imprisonment? I don't think you'll find Mr Prayuth has done anything effective at all. Deck-chairs on the beach (which are mostly now back as normal), a couple of bike lanes (which are now unusable due to street trader encroachment), that's about all he's been capable of. Waste of space, waste of effort, but then he's not interested in reforming Thailand, he's only interested in maintaining the status quo. If he was serious about corruption Thailand would now be knee-deep in senior-rank jailbirds from the police and armed forces. See any of those do you? Apart from the theatre surrounding the clipping of a certain person's wings I mean. I didn't think so.

(hint) Try to drink less kool-aid, it's bad for your liver and disastrous for your IQ.

Winnie

Do you and your likers permanently have your heads in the sand, or somewhere else where its dark? In less than a minute I could find

"Aug 27, 2015 - TWO FORMER top executives of state-owned Krungthai Bank were each sentenced to 18 years in jail yesterday for approving a questionable ..."

" Jul 28, 2016 - Ex-deputy finance minister and three revenue officials given 3-year jailterm for helping Shinawatra siblings evade taxes "

You know you have a serious problem when you start believing your own BS.

3 hours ago, Eric Loh said:

Nothing really happen Halloween. He has yet to be convicted and sentenced. I doubt he will be as he still an elite albeit an alleged corrupted one. Maybe he asked to be moved as there are simply too much media pressure and he need to take himself off the spotlight. Prayut certainly took a long time to suspend him.

And maybe pig's fly. He has been suspended pending further investigation and possible prosecution, along with the other numpty. What did you expect, some magic trick to have him suspended, prosecuted, convicted and jailed on the one day?

8 hours ago, Baerboxer said:

Much better to let the corrupt serve their term of office, max their "profit" and be voted out eh? 

Elected officials above the law - you must be on something.

"Much better to let the corrupt serve their term of office, max their "profit" and be voted out eh?"

Better than a coup? Yes. At least the corrupt politicians can be voted out. Corrupt junta officials can not. AND, they even manage (without any chance of opposition) to grant themselves an amnesty, the very thing the YL administration TRIED to do and was attacked for. But since there are checks and balances in place when a government is elected that attempt was (thankfully) blocked.

10 hours ago, Baerboxer said:

Much better to let the corrupt serve their term of office, max their "profit" and be voted out eh? 

Elected officials above the law - you must be on something.

Ah good old Bearboxer to the rescue, still not realizing the current bunch are the only ones really above the law. Whatever happend to justice, evidence and all of that ?

Elected officials are never above the law, self appointed ones are, the ones you so heavily defend. You are not to be taken seriously and should not mention the law, you have no idea about the concept of rule of law any more than you know how justice really works.

2 hours ago, MZurf said:

"Much better to let the corrupt serve their term of office, max their "profit" and be voted out eh?"

Better than a coup? Yes. At least the corrupt politicians can be voted out. Corrupt junta officials can not. AND, they even manage (without any chance of opposition) to grant themselves an amnesty, the very thing the YL administration TRIED to do and was attacked for. But since there are checks and balances in place when a government is elected that attempt was (thankfully) blocked.

The YL or lets be honest the Thaksin PTP government tried their hardest to weaken the checks and balances, reduce budgets of those agencies who do that work, intimidate and move people, put their own people in place and cloak their schemes and activities under a veil of secrecy. They even tried to fiddle EIA's.

There attempt at a whitewash and Amnesty was defeated by popular protest, far greater than I expect they ever imagined and not by robust checks and balances inherent within the process.

If an election had been held, and if PTP had in fact lost do you really think they'd have respected the result and said fair enough? Not based on how they behaved when the lost the super safe Don Meuang by-election and certain to win Bangkok governor election. 

All democracies rely on having robust checks and balance procedures, robust justice systems and all independent and free from government interference. Thailand doesn't. Without that, electoral accountability is subject to manipulation. And that is the same for all.

34 minutes ago, sjaak327 said:

Ah good old Bearboxer to the rescue, still not realizing the current bunch are the only ones really above the law. Whatever happend to justice, evidence and all of that ?

Elected officials are never above the law, self appointed ones are, the ones you so heavily defend. You are not to be taken seriously and should not mention the law, you have no idea about the concept of rule of law any more than you know how justice really works.

I'm not defending anybody. But now we are starting to see some ex Ministers and civil servants jailed, albeit for things that happened years ago. There must be one hell of a backlog and amount of cases that are waiting action. 

You have no idea about justice systems, which includes formation, application and enforcement of laws otherwise you wouldn't make such plainly ludicrous comments. Next you'll be claiming poor Thaksin is totally innocent, never done anything wrong in his life, never ever, and everything is always politically motivated. Before you do, check some of those outstanding cases. Save making an ass of yourself. 

13 minutes ago, Baerboxer said:

I'm not defending anybody. But now we are starting to see some ex Ministers and civil servants jailed, albeit for things that happened years ago. There must be one hell of a backlog and amount of cases that are waiting action. 

You have no idea about justice systems, which includes formation, application and enforcement of laws otherwise you wouldn't make such plainly ludicrous comments. Next you'll be claiming poor Thaksin is totally innocent, never done anything wrong in his life, never ever, and everything is always politically motivated. Before you do, check some of those outstanding cases. Save making an ass of yourself. 

I quite clearly have a better idea of justice than you, it involves among other things, evidence and a conviction. Now unless I am not informed enough, I  am not aware of any conviction for the subject at hand. And to make it pretty clear, that subject isn't called Thaksin. So my post wasn't about him, it was about the Bangkok govenor.

I understand, you have some unhealthy obsession for him, but trust me if I say not everything revolves around the Dubai bogeyman...

By the way, what ludicrous comments are you referring to, are you claiming the Junta isn't above the law, as that is my claim. Read the interim constitution and you'll find out that they indeed are.

Edited by sjaak327

25 minutes ago, Baerboxer said:

The YL or lets be honest the Thaksin PTP government tried their hardest to weaken the checks and balances, reduce budgets of those agencies who do that work, intimidate and move people, put their own people in place and cloak their schemes and activities under a veil of secrecy. They even tried to fiddle EIA's.

There attempt at a whitewash and Amnesty was defeated by popular protest, far greater than I expect they ever imagined and not by robust checks and balances inherent within the process.

If an election had been held, and if PTP had in fact lost do you really think they'd have respected the result and said fair enough? Not based on how they behaved when the lost the super safe Don Meuang by-election and certain to win Bangkok governor election. 

All democracies rely on having robust checks and balance procedures, robust justice systems and all independent and free from government interference. Thailand doesn't. Without that, electoral accountability is subject to manipulation. And that is the same for all.

They wouldn't have a choice, they are not like Prayuth who can move a few tanks and a few humvees about..

There were ample checks and balances in place, in fact some would argue too much. Remember Yingluck operated under a constitution drafted by the previous Junta. The attempts to revert the senate to fully elected had my full support, people who have political power should not be appointed, end of story.

Edited by sjaak327

39 minutes ago, Baerboxer said:

" The YL or lets be honest the Thaksin PTP government tried their hardest to weaken the checks and balances, reduce budgets of those agencies who do that work, intimidate and move people, put their own people in place and cloak their schemes and activities under a veil of secrecy."

Well, they failed in their attempt whereas the army succeeded spectacularly. And now the army is busy rigging the system so that the only check and balance is their appointed stooges. I don't call that progress.

"There attempt at a whitewash and Amnesty was defeated by popular protest, far greater than I expect they ever imagined and not by robust checks and balances inherent within the process."

Yes, very stupid and dishonest attempt. It also gave the old elite the perfect excuse to take power (although I am certain they would have taken power anyway given the importance they obviously place on being in charge during the upcoming transition).

"If an election had been held, and if PTP had in fact lost do you really think they'd have respected the result and said fair enough?"

They would definitively not have liked it but I doubt they would have had any choice. Their opponents have, after all, an army, a navy and an air force at their disposal.

"All democracies rely on having robust checks and balance procedures, robust justice systems and all independent and free from government interference. Thailand doesn't."

Indeed. And with the constant interference of the old elite  Thailand will never get them. I utterly fail to see how the junta supporters seemingly believe that anything good will come out of junta # 13. It cannot be based on the result of the previous 12 coups because those fixed nothing. Is it the "PM" they have such faith in?? If that is the case we live on different planets because for that guy is an utter *****, with unusual wealth he won't allow anyone to investigate. And this is the savior of Thailand?????:crazy:

My suggestion is to try democracy Thai style for a while. Who knows; maybe something positive will evolve out of the unholy mess that's Thai politics. Because one thing is for certain; coups have been tried 13 times (in Thailand , and x times elsewhere in the world) and they clearly don't work.

1 hour ago, Baerboxer said:

So now you are suggesting that the trashing of a legal, constitutionally called general election by Sutheps hired thugs was OK, because Phue Thai might have been  upset if they lost?

Tread water a bit longer - some more straws may float past!

On 25/08/2016 at 4:39 PM, HooHaa said:

so the junta is now removing genuinely elected figures from office.

this bodes well for the future.

sukhumbund is certainly very well connected to the old guard conservatives, messages are being sent. military over aristocracy.

See what you did there? :lol:

On August 25, 2016 at 0:39 PM, MZurf said:

Perish the thought! The "PM" has always been very honest, open and forthcoming about his and his family's unusual wealth. Always!!

Just ask the junta supporters if you don't believe me.

reaching the pinnacle of Thailand's most long-standing, eternally corrupt organization and of course he's the "one good soldier"... 

Yeah, right... :cheesy:

6 hours ago, tbthailand said:

reaching the pinnacle of Thailand's most long-standing, eternally corrupt organization and of course he's the "one good soldier"... 

Yeah, right... :cheesy:

I was set straight about a year ago by a Thai university lecturer whom I know - a Ph.D. no less - who told me that the reason Prayut is so wealthy is that, being in the military, Prayut has not had to pay any rent or mortgage all his life, and so he has been able to save a lot of money.

Right!  That explains it.

Honestly, I swear to you that this was told to me with a straight face and with utter conviction. It seems to me that critical thinking skills are woefully absent here - even amongst Thai Ph.D.s!

9 hours ago, Eligius said:

I was set straight about a year ago by a Thai university lecturer whom I know - a Ph.D. no less - who told me that the reason Prayut is so wealthy is that, being in the military, Prayut has not had to pay any rent or mortgage all his life, and so he has been able to save a lot of money.

Right!  That explains it.

Honestly, I swear to you that this was told to me with a straight face and with utter conviction. It seems to me that critical thinking skills are woefully absent here - even amongst Thai Ph.D.s!

yeah, I don't understand it. The military and RTP are both pyramids and anyone who has progressed to any decent level is in on it. That is 100% obvious.