US swimmer Lochte's legal troubles mount in Brazil 

webfact

I lived in Brazil for a few years.  Law enforcement there is about money in the pocket – sound familiar?  The difference between them and our beloved Thai BiB is that it doesn’t necessarily end there, the cops may seek to amuse themselves (rape, humiliation, other fun stuff, maybe murder).  Even middle-class people there get a tightening of the buttocks when they have to stop for a roadblock or get pulled over at night.  Makes the BiB seem like nice guys by comparison, no?
Brazilian LE putting all that effort into ‘getting to the truth,” pursuit of justice, etc – wow!  Is this the new Brazil?  After a few days it came out that someone pulled a gun on the lads (pointed at the torso, not the head) and demanded money.  He got $50.  Then another guy had to make a charitable contribution to the police of $11,000 before he could leave the country.  Ok, that’s the Brazil I know.

Be it for me to take the side of some punk-ass jocks, but the aftermath of this stupid incident is a farce.  Brazil probably is one of the most notorious countries for anti-personal crime, but this gets priority.  They should have dropped the whole thing after the fourth kid left the country and they squeezed that $11k out of him.  Anyway, last I heard US and Brazil do not have extradition treaties.

8 minutes ago, ClutchClark said:

Most certsinly it does. Where one is from strongly influences ones perception on a set of events.

Simply look at the millions of posts on TVF where members look at events here through the experiences and norms of their own country. 

As I have already said, in the US the guard would have been arrested for his actions. It is completely reasonable for Lochte to have interpretted that situation of having a gun pointed at him and being instructed to turn over all of his money as armed robbery....because that is exactly what it was.

And this is certsinly politically motivated by the Rio mayor who throughly enjoys getting the spotlight off of himself for a few minutes. I encourage you to do a bit of background on him. In Latin America, the days of Imperialism are still brought up quite often to stir up nationalist sentiment. You are aware of this much?

In Brazil Brazilian law applies to people.

3 minutes ago, bendejo said:

I lived in Brazil for a few years.  Law enforcement there is about money in the pocket – sound familiar?  The difference between them and our beloved Thai BiB is that it doesn’t necessarily end there, the cops may seek to amuse themselves (rape, humiliation, other fun stuff, maybe murder).  Even middle-class people there get a tightening of the buttocks when they have to stop for a roadblock or get pulled over at night.  Makes the BiB seem like nice guys by comparison, no?
Brazilian LE putting all that effort into ‘getting to the truth,” pursuit of justice, etc – wow!  Is this the new Brazil?  After a few days it came out that someone pulled a gun on the lads (pointed at the torso, not the head) and demanded money.  He got $50.  Then another guy had to make a charitable contribution to the police of $11,000 before he could leave the country.  Ok, that’s the Brazil I know.

Be it for me to take the side of some punk-ass jocks, but the aftermath of this stupid incident is a farce.  Brazil probably is one of the most notorious countries for anti-personal crime, but this gets priority.  They should have dropped the whole thing after the fourth kid left the country and they squeezed that $11k out of him.  Anyway, last I heard US and Brazil do not have extradition treaties.

Yes, and there's three kinds of cops there to contend with.

The Policia Civil

Policia Militar and the Immigration cops who sometimes double as Policia Civil - the bad bastards who don't wear a uniform.

I found living there is similar to LOS in that if you mind your P's & Q's you don't have a problem with any of them.

9 minutes ago, Boon Mee said:

There seems to be more than a whiff of America-bashing with the motivation on those Brazilians to keep going after this guy.

Give it a rest.  He and the other boys already apologized and paid the fine.

Time to move on...:whistling:

That"s the point. He did not really apologise and has shown to be an arrogant prick. So of course people go after him.

9 minutes ago, bendejo said:

See the OP, there is an extradition treaty. But of course the US will not extradite him.

In the scheme of things, this is a pretty minor crime to go through the process of extradition.  

Someone would have to really have a hard-on for this guy to start such a lengthy and expensive process.   

14 minutes ago, stevenl said:

In Brazil Brazilian law applies to people.

Ofcourse...although the concept of "Brazilian Law" would be quite comedic to most Brazilians.

my point is that Lochte's original police report was based on his perception.

What part of this is untrue:

Lochte initially said that he and fellow swimmers Jack Conger, Gunnar Bentz and Jimmy Feigen were robbed at gunpoint in a taxi by men with a police badge as they returned to the Olympic Village from a party on 15 August. 

The video I have seen indicates this is what occurred. What part of this claim is patently false in your opinion?

16 minutes ago, stevenl said:

That"s the point. He did not really apologise and has shown to be an arrogant prick. So of course people go after him.

Well atleast you willingly admit its a personal attack and not one based on actual circumstances and a reasonable interpretation of the actual events.

Lochte is a privileged white guy so ofcourse he deserves whatever injustice everyone wants to throw at him?

6 minutes ago, ClutchClark said:

Well atleast you willingly admit its a personal attack and not one based on actual circumstances and a reasonable interpretation of the actual events.

Lochte is a privileged white guy so ofcourse he deserves whatever injustice everyone wants to throw at him?

That is not what I said.

I'm out of here, no point in discussions with people who are twisting words in order to be proven right.

Just now, stevenl said:

That is not what I said.

I'm out of here, no point in discussions with people who are twisting words in order to be proven right.

30 minutes ago, stevenl said:

1 hour ago, ClutchClark said:

In the US, where Lochte is from, the armed guard who took the money at gunpoint would be charged with armed robbery and the service garage would have been apologizing profusely for the guards overzealous and dangerous actions. Lochte would have been charged with vandalism of property under $100.

Are you suggesting that in the US, Lochte would have gotten away with filing a false police report?  Sorry, but you are wrong.

• 3 weeks later...

Well if this is not the damnedest thing...there are actually folks that hate Lochte so much they have rushed the stage to protest his very existence on the face of this earth.

They are protesting Lochte made an ass of himself by making even bigger asses of themselves. :clap2:

https://www.google.com/amp/www.nydailynews.com/amp/entertainment/tv/dwts-protesters-ryan-lochte-embarrassed-americans-article-1.2791068