Stern warning issued as overpricing of Thai lottery tickets still on

webfact

Stern warning issued as overpricing of lottery tickets still on

914_Lottery-wpcf_728x409.jpg

BANGKOK: -- Government Lottery Office (GLO) is issuing a stern warning of overpricing of lottery tickets as market survey by its inspection team found such practice is still existing.

The warning came as head of the GLO team Mr Tanawat Polwichai inspected the lottery markets yesterday to follow up the government’s price control policy.

He warned that anyone found selling overpriced tickets will have their quotas revoked and face legal consequences.

The major lottery market inspected was on lottery ticket wholesalers located along the Khok Wua intersection in Bangkok.

Accompanying him to the place was a contingent of police as well as Army personnel to personally check following complaints from the public of tickets still being sold at higher than specified prices.

The public claimed that 5 pair lottery packets are being sold at between 450 – 500 Baht while individual pairs or single lottery tickets are being sold between 80 – 90 Baht.

After the survey, these claims have been confirmed and Mr Tanawat stated that he is preparing to propose to the Government Lottery Office board next week to revoke the quotas of those found violating their strict price controls.

Furthermore, he also stated that he will also be proposing an increase in lottery ticket issue from the existing 70,000 – 80,000 booklets to be 110,000 booklets per draw.

Accordingly, pre-booked lottery tickets will be reduced from 250,000 booklets to 220,000 booklets per draw to minimize the number of tickets being sold as packets.

He added that in his opinion the current 60 million tickets (pairs) per draw was actually more than adequate but if merchants still persist in selling overpriced tickets then the GLO will have no choice but to make adjustments.

Meanwhile Lt Col Noon Sansanakom, a GLO board director, said overpricing was the result of parties granted quotas taking advantage of their privilege and selling on tickets to smaller third party merchants for profit.

He stated that they have found around a hundred people selling overpriced tickets while around 19 acting as middlemen selling on their quotas to smaller merchants for profit.

He declare from now on anyone found selling tickets at higher than specified prices will be handed the severest punishment which will entail one year jail term and a maximum fine of 100,000 baht.

Source: http://englishnews.thaipbs.or.th/stern-warning-issued-overpricing-lottery-tickets-still/

thaipbs_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Thai PBS 2016-08-26

It's heartening to see that despite the distraction of bombings in various cities, and the continuing insurrection in the south, the army has the time and resources to concentrate on the sale of overpriced lottery tickets , which poses an existential threat to the country.

Edited by JAG

Up in Esarn I saw a small stall selling them for 75 baht. I got overcharged in the suburbs of BKK. I happen to win the last time and in order to get my cash I had to pay 50 baht out of the 2k winnings. The bigger dealers also make money on paying out on smaller wins. The little guys walking in the hot sun all day just make from the sales and if they happen to hold a winning ticket.

6 minutes ago, BaldPlumber said:

Is Thailand incapable of passing new laws that don't include a possible jail term?

I'm amazed that there are people still wandering around. I think I'm probably up for a couple of years behind bars most days of the week here.

Well, Thailand is a sort of prison already so...

4 minutes ago, Plutojames88 said:

It's like a rapist holding his victim hostage lectures her on not flossing.

Sick .

What right does a junta have to moralise?

Every right.

They are in charge, get over it.

The only time I get bothered by the price is when a Thai buys a ticket before me for less. Being overcharged bothers me and I guess this is also one time when Thais feel what it's like for us. If they saw the farang pay 10-20 baht less than them they would go bonkers!

2 hours ago, Alive said:

Well, Thailand is a sort of prison already so...

Yes, it always amazes me how so many people enjoy living in this Thai prison and the huge numbers of people lining up to get visas and extensions to stay here in this , as some muppets say, "3rd world hellhole" Simply amazing.

Have you ever known a country that

i) has so many variations of lottery-related news stories, so frequently, so consistently as this one?

ii) seems as utterly incapable of organising something as straightforward as a lottery as this one? Heaven forbid they have to set up something more difficult such as a health care system, a police force or a representative government.

2 hours ago, Jip99 said:

Every right.

They are in charge, get over it.

The rapist thinks he is in charge and has a right too.....might even get her to whisper "" I love you"" ....but like this unelected junta they will only end when they are caught.

Don't bend over too much ....

3 hours ago, BaldPlumber said:

Is Thailand incapable of passing new laws that don't include a possible jail term?

I'm amazed that there are people still wandering around. I think I'm probably up for a couple of years behind bars most days of the week here.

I am glad you picked up on that. The huge range of severity of sentence allows the judge to apply sakdina when sentencing. A lengthy prison sentence for a prole who upset somebody from the privileged class. Whilst if somebody connected actually has to go through the courts, they can be officially handed a small fine.

What is it here,,,stern warnings,,,,Don't warn them ,,,tell them if they don't adhere to the first notion of the new set price,,,,You scum will go to jail,,,Problem Solved,,,

Edited by Doc46

some one here promised me the lottery thing was solved. at least he said the deck chair thing was solved. he cant be wrong on that as well right? and bangkok no longer  has a mayor. not sure if that was solving a problem or not. i am fast loosing my faith in the current government. just catch the bombers and my faith will be reinstalled mr general. what, thats the job for the police?

I will say it again. The UK has around the same amount of people as Thailand. I would imagine that the same amount of lottery tickets are sold in both countries. In fact Lottery tickets are more expensive here in Thailand overall. The prize money sucks. What 3-18 million Baht. On a poor day the average lottery winnings are over 3-5 million pound in the UK. Plus all the money that goes to funding for athletes, community projects etc.

So my question is, if a similar amount of money is made here or even if a  littel less, and the prize money is way less. Where does the rest go!!!

I won't say anymore. For all those who consistently go on about how the current people are cleaning up corruption here. Start with the Lottery. Or maybe they will be cleaning up themselves.

9 hours ago, JAG said:

It's heartening to see that despite the distraction of bombings in various cities, and the continuing insurrection in the south, the army has the time and resources to concentrate on the sale of overpriced lottery tickets , which poses an existential threat to the country.

Having announced with great fanfare a year ago that they had resolved the problem and abolished over-priced tickets. Yessir. Got that.

You're right to mock them about it being a small thing though: it's well known that the closer you get to a psychological crisis, the more you focus on increasingly small things, because they're the only things you can get close to coping with.

Here's hoping. I'd love to see a few of these little piggies crash and burn.

Winnie

9 hours ago, JAG said:

Having announced with great fanfare a year ago that they had resolved the problem and abolished over-priced tickets. Yessir. Got that.

You're right to mock them about it being a small thing though: it's well known that the closer you get to a psychological crisis, the more you focus on increasingly small things, because they're the only things you can get close to coping with. Anything bigger and you get tsunami'd and then its the old men-in-white-coats time.

Here's hoping. I'd love to see a few of these little piggies crash and burn.

Winnie

Edited by Winniedapu