Installation of solar system

CGW

I have been thinking of doing this for years now, I know economically it isn't viable due to the ROI, but would like some peace of mind in case off (when!) there will be long periods with no grid.

Can anyone recommend "someone" that can supply and fit a system? hopefully someone that has had personal experience with company.

Where are you?

If you are planning an off-grid system and don't intend exporting power to the grid you need no permissions.

But if you have an on-grid or hybrid system that can export (spin the meter backwards) you need to ensure your contractor can put all the permits in place. If not you may get a nasty surprise :( 

^ In Udon Thani, understand your point about getting the right contractor, that seems to be the difficult part, I'm not looking to "export" though if the system is "efficient" there would have to be (I think?) some excess during the day, not really wanting to put a huge bank of batteries in either, not seeing these as being good value at this time.

I have followed various threads over the past few years and am dubious if a proficient contractor exists, hopefully I am wrong!

Talk to Amorn Solar, they employ known contractors who appear to know what they're doing with the paperwork. I have no direct experience, but a couple of members have used Amorn (and their contractors) and haven't said really bad things.

Hybrid systems, with relatively small batteries to provide UPS functionality but which behave as a grid-tie most of the time are a great idea. Unfortunately there are currently no hybrid inverters on either the MEA or PEA approved list.

My plan would possibly be to get an approved system installed and working then swap out the inverter for a hybrid once the heat has died down. In reality our supply is sufficiently reliable that our big UPS and small gasoline genset manages just fine, the generator only starting maybe once a week :)

• 5 months later...

Smirnoff Solar now offer a 3kW package for ฿103,000, before installation. At this price solar is becoming very affordable. Payback about 6 years, @ ฿4/kWh then free for maybe 4 to five years when the inverter may have to be replaced, then free again for another ten years or so.

Sent from my ASUS_T00J using Tapatalk

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

You can source lithium batteries from AliExpress (China), they are significantly more expensive than lead-acid but last far longer and you can discharge almost 100%.

You'll also need a battery manager to ensure you don't reverse charge any cells (the kiss of death).

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/3-2v-lifepo4-battery-100ah-lifepo4-100ah-lithium-battery-high-capacity-100A-dischar-pack-diy-solar/32443011094.html

Untitled-1.jpg

6 hours ago, wayned said:

If I'm reading it right, according to the AIFTA Schedule the HS code should be 8507.60.90 and the import duty is 10% CIF Thailand and then the 7% VAT.

Yup, that fits. Unfortunately it also seems you need an import license :sad:

I don't think that Lithium Ion batteries are quite ready for prime time as far as home solar systems. Since I have two solar systems, one at the house and one at the farm, I am always looking for better battery options. The quality from AliExpress is dubious as well as being about five times more expensive than lead acid deep cycle batteries. The life of LI batteries is expressed as 1,000 cycles. I don't know what that means. At the house, I am using AGM sealed batteries because they are inside the house. They have been running for about 3 and a half years now with no signs of weakening. That would be more than 1,000 cycles. The main advantage of lithium ion batteries is the hugely reduced weight but if your batteries are never moved that advantage is of no use. I fully expect long life from my batteries because I am careful not to discharge them below 50 percent. LI batteries supposedly can be run nearly dead without damage so that is also a consideration.

A few weeks ago I read an article about a company in Bangkok developing a new type of liquid battery for storage of solar energy to rival the power wall of Elton Musk. I recall they had some issues with funding. Not sure where they are at

now.

edit: found the article. This Link

9 hours ago, Chuckles78 said:

A few weeks ago I read an article about a company in Bangkok developing a new type of liquid battery for storage of solar energy to rival the power wall of Elton Musk. I recall they had some issues with funding. Not sure where they are at

now.

edit: found the article. This Link

Sadly that story is behind the FT paywall  :sad:

A Swiss neighbor wants to build a sizeable solar farm on his land to generate income from export power. I don't think the power company will actually pay him for the effort. Will they?

I've also thought about installing a hybrid solar system, but it seems like a money losing investment. Last year I spent 30,854 Bt on power, avg bill 2571 & two highest bills in April and May at 3800 & 3500 Bt. If I spend 600,000 on a system my payback (assuming no additional cost, which is doubtful) id 18.5 years. I doubt I will live that long. If it's 700 or 800,000, it's really a bad idea. The only benefit is that the annoying 1 second power failures (we had 2 yesterday & 1 this AM at 5:05...<deleted>?) would go away. Not to mention the occasional 4 hour failure caused by thunder storms.

We did have a guy, ostensibly from some gov't agency, come out & discuss a system. Naturally, we never heard back from him. I know......what a shock.

Again, the question is will the power company buy back any excess?

EGAT will pay for power from a commercial solar farm. Not sure what the feed-in rates are.

MEA / PEA will pay for power from a domestic installation (up to 10kW) under the MySolarRoof system. The feed-in tariff is quite generous at today's electricity rates, but the contract is long and the penalties for breaking it unknown. Payback is about 8 years. If you don't like the contract then net-metering is also permitted where you simply spin the meter backwards when exporting, but any excess exported is not paid for. Payback is somewhat longer.

The systems everyone is pushing are grid-tie, no expensive batteries, but no protection from power failure. Fully off-grid systems are expensive due to battery costs but you are independent of the grid.

The ideal system is a hybrid, where the system exports power to the grid under normal circumstances but also has a relatively small battery as well so it can keep your power on for a limited period during a power failure. Unfortunately there are (at present) no hybrid inverters on the MEA / PEA approval list.

@Tagaa From your information above you are using an average of 21 units per day, to generate that purely from solar you're looking at a 4.5kW system. The smallest SolarCellCentre do is 8.2 kW for 555000 inc VAT installed. That will make about 41 units per day (160 Baht a day). You can do the sums.

What do you think the next leap in Solar will be ?   Better Panels or Better batteries ?

My house is shaded too much to really use much of the roof ,  in the winter the sun is too low and the 4 story apartments block the sun most of the day ,  as does the big avocado tree ,

If the panels could move , follow the sun thru the day and thru the seasons that would really help ......

Batteries need a big leap if you are doing something mobile  as they weigh so much , not much problem at home !

But is a 10-20% gain all that can expected in the next few years ?    or is there a BIG leap in the near future ?

Crossy, is there a web site, in English, where I can go to for more information on this MEA/PEA program?

The availability of extra power would be great. I'd have 2 aircons running all day and night, keeping the house very comfy, not to mention running power to another house that is on the property and could run the A/C there as well. Schweeeet!

53 minutes ago, Tagaa said:

Crossy, is there a web site, in English, where I can go to for more information on this MEA/PEA program?

The availability of extra power would be great. I'd have 2 aircons running all day and night, keeping the house very comfy, not to mention running power to another house that is on the property and could run the A/C there as well. Schweeeet!

don't get too excited running aircons on solar power!

Maybe you could post some information/knowledge that would edify all members who are interested in this topic.

Snarky comments don't help all that much, other than to pump up your post count, which nobody but you really cares about.

1 hour ago, Tagaa said:

Maybe you could post some information/knowledge that would edify all members who are interested in this topic.

Snarky comments don't help all that much, other than to pump up your post count, which nobody but you really cares about.

instead of getting personal with more ignorant and irrelevant remarks such as "extra power for running aircons" and "post counts" maybe you could use the search function and find more than a dozen threads which deal with the pros and cons of solar power.

31 minutes ago, Arjen said:

Theoretical I have a 1.6kW solar system. The average, measured production is only 0.25kW, over 24 hours..... I am happy with it, because I do not have problems with black, or brown outs. Average we run 30% from the time on my own (solar) supply.

this calls for an explanation. i read it several times and i'm still confused :crying:

Archived