Installation of solar system

CGW

3 minutes ago, Arjen said:

Not sure what you want to explained...

Early in the morning, when PV modules are cold and the sun is strong I produce very sometimes 1.600 watt (24V, 67A). Although my panels are orientated to the south, I reach this only in the morning. Average, measuered over 24 hour, over the last few months, I  have a production from 0.25kW so also calculated over night.

I installed the system because we often have black/brown outs. My own supply "kicks in" in case we we have a black/brown out, or when the batteries are full and charging stops.

We do not have AC. We have a few big pumps, and a lot of lights.

Is this the explanation you wanted?

Arjen.

So if you cut out the night time your average would be .5kW?  As I would assume your night time generation is zero?

@Arjen:  I might be confused by use of the term "1kWh/day" which I initially interpreted as "1KW/day."

If your production of .25KW/h is 30% of your average electricity comsumption, that would mean .83KW/hour is your full rate of usage.

.83KW/hour = 20KW/day (would that technically be stated as 20KWh/day?) which would be 600KW/month (600KWh/mo?).  At a rate of B4/KW, 600KW would mean a (non-solar) monthly electrical bill of B2,400, which seems reasonable.

Am I close?

Anybody feel free to jump in and correct my math and terminology, but please be gentle.  :smile:

2 hours ago, wpcoe said:

Anybody feel free to jump in and correct my math and terminology, but please be gentle.  :smile:

you could be right with your assumption  ".83KW/hour = 20KW/day" but in the real world is no such thing plus there is my question

you are using less than 1kWh/day??? :shock1:

and Arjen's answer

Yes....

Normal wise.

"normal wise" = German English meaning "usually".

summary: i hereby present the motion to adopt the new unit "KW/hour™" which is not indentical with kWh but means a consumption of 1 kilowatt per hour.

:jap:

13 hours ago, Naam said:

summary: i hereby present the motion to adopt the new unit "KW/hour" which is not indentical with kWh but means a consumption of 1 kilowatt per hour.

I had a photo voltaic instructor that would go off on anyone who would say KiloWatt/hour. Drove him absolutely nuts.

Wikipedia:  Misuse of watts per hour

Power units measure the rate of energy per unit time.

Many compound units for rates explicitly mention units of time, for example, miles per hour, kilometers per hour, dollars per hour. Kilowatt-hours are a product of power and time, not a rate of change of power with time. Watts per hour (W/h) is a unit of a change of power per hour. It might be used to characterize the ramp-up behavior of power plants. For example, a power plant that reaches a power output of 1 MW from 0 MW in 15 minutes has a ramp-up rate of 4 MW/h. Hydroelectric power plants have a very high ramp-up rate, which makes them particularly useful in peak load and emergency situations.

The proper use of terms such as watts per hour is uncommon, whereas misuse may be widespread.

1 hour ago, RichCor said:

I had a photo voltaic instructor that would go off on anyone who would say KiloWatt/hour. Drove him absolutely nuts.

take a wild guess how i felt when somebody confirmed his home uses less than 1kWh/day.

rabugento1.gif

On 4/18/2017 at 4:25 AM, oldcarguy said:

there a source for lithium battery packs like EV cars use ?

would that be a good long term storage battery option ?

or are they still to costly compared to lead acid etc

Lithium batteries are fire hazards. I would advise sticking to good old low tech "lead acid" batteries for solar storage.

I couldn't find any links for LiPO fires in solar installations, probably too new. Here's one for electric vehicles.

https://www.google.co.th/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=7&ved=0ahUKEwiw_Y__5LzTAhVDLY8KHRyeCh0QFghMMAY&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.mdpi.com%2F2313-0105%2F2%2F2%2F9%2Fpdf&usg=AFQjCNFFS7FtXjGVvSr-QCbel8biDjiaTg&cad=rja

I'm not going to put the battery pack in the house anyway, lead acid emit hazardous and explosive fumes too.

1 hour ago, Arjen said:

My electricity usage is about 1.000 Watt day, what makes that my meter on the end of the day has added 1Kwh to the clockwork.....

Does this makes sence?

If you truly only use 1Kwh of 'Energy' in a day, then, according the the same Wikipedia page I posted from, that means:

Wikipedia: Kilowatt hour EXAMPLES

An electric heater rated at 1000 watts (1 kilowatt), operating for one hour uses one kilowatt-hour (equivalent to 3.6 megajoules) of energy. A television rated at 100 watts operating for 10 hours continuously uses one kilowatt-hour. A 40-watt light bulb operating continuously for 25 hours uses one kilowatt-hour.

So, you're living off the equivalent of a 40-watt bulb?

Or are you saying your solar system is providing supplemental energy, so your Government Electric Meter is only registering ~1Kwh of energy used per day? 

3 hours ago, Crossy said:

I couldn't find any links for LiPO fires in solar installations, probably too new. Here's one for electric vehicles.

https://www.google.co.th/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=7&ved=0ahUKEwiw_Y__5LzTAhVDLY8KHRyeCh0QFghMMAY&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.mdpi.com%2F2313-0105%2F2%2F2%2F9%2Fpdf&usg=AFQjCNFFS7FtXjGVvSr-QCbel8biDjiaTg&cad=rja

I'm not going to put the battery pack in the house anyway, lead acid emit hazardous and explosive fumes too.

I wonder why liFePO4 batteries are not more promoted,

No fire hazard, can be discharged to almost Zero with the same capacity and without damage, and keep power stored almost indefinitely.

I use such batteries in airsoft guns, and even after a year, you just pick up the gun and start shooting.

Try that with a LiPO or any other kind of battery.

5 hours ago, Arjen said:

@Naam and others,

I still do not get where I am doing it wrong.

But Ok, I still can learn. My electricity usage is about 1.000 Watt day, what makes that my meter on the end of the day has added 1Kwh to the clockwork.....

Does this makes sence?

Best regards, Arjen....

if that is the case you're da man Arjen. the Guinness Book of Records will contact you soon... of course assuming

-you don't use any witchcraft or sorcery,

-do not generate electricity by a perpetuum mobile,

-did not drill a hole in your meter to stick a long rusty nail in it to slow it down,

-drink Weihenstephaner Weissbier heated up to room temperature,

-use candles or oil lamps when its dark,

-neither watch TV nor listen to music,

-have cold showers,

-the pumps you mentioned are driven by a wood-fired steam engine...

shall i go on? :smile:

6 minutes ago, Arjen said:

All correct Naam

What do I need to say more???

i believe you Arjen! nobody can invent something that incredible. but you have to accept that i had initially strong doubts based on the fact and view that we use ~100kWh/day in winter and up to 160kWh/day (last year march-april) in the hottest month.

6 hours ago, Arjen said:

@Naam and others,

I still do not get where I am doing it wrong.

But Ok, I still can learn. My electricity usage is about 1.000 Watt day, what makes that my meter on the end of the day has added 1Kwh to the clockwork.....

Does this makes sence?

Best regards, Arjen....

Here's what still doesn't sit with me:  You say you use 1,000 watts (1KW) per day.  That would be 30KW per month, and using a rate of B4/KW, your previous electric bills were only B120 each month???  :wacko:

Archived