Microsoft V Belarc Updates

Beachcomber

I have Windows 7 which is regularly updated so at this time there are no new updates available.

Yet with Belarc Advisor  - http://www.belarc.com/free_download.html - it shows almost 20 critical and important updates the MUST be installed  :w00t:

Belarc Advisor Security Updates!.jpg

So Belarc Advisor has 20 updates the MUST be installed yet according to Microsoft my system is all up to date. 

Who is right and what is going On????

:blink:

Edited by Beachcomber
Spelling

Why don't you check Installed Updates to see if any in that list are already installed?

In which case you'll know Belarc is wrong.

BTW Microsoft are ditching individual updates soon for the Win10 "All in one" option.

I believe :D

There are 2 types of updates you can get:

1.) for security purpose

2.) efficiency (run faster) or installing tools

Rules I follow:

1.) Update only if necessary, but how would you know? I would say if everything is going fine and ur computer is doing what u want then don't upadte, because some updates may cause ur computer to have issues while running e.g. slower, not able to start up ur PC, taking up ur space, does stuff u dont need (e.g. programs u dont use or some codding that help programs u dont use).... (If u dont understand the updates u are getting and ur PC is doing fine then dont bother updating)

2.) Some updates can boost your PC's efficiency, but not much. The best way to increase the speed of your PC is to upgrade ur hardware. So dont bother updating. Plus the increase in the efficiency might only be applicable to some programs u use or might not even be something u use.

3.) Some updates might not be compatible with ur PC u will have lots of problems e.g. not able to start ur PC :C Don't risk it.

4.) Security level can be increased (a little), but the thing is security in coding is much like a real world security. Imagine u have a wall surrounding ur house and that's ur secuirty. Now someone inventes a weapon that can penetrate ur wall easily, so u change the material of the wall (weapon no longer can penetrate). What options do the people that want to break into ur house have? They can make another weapon, learn how to climb the wall, fly over the wall...... Therefore, although u have increased ur security, it's only against something specific and there are a lot of way to bypass ( a person can try a similar way or a totally unrelated method to break through ur security system) :D If an expert is deliberately coming after u there's no way u can escape, considering NASA, banks... all have been hacked in the past

My conclusion is if u dont understand the updates they are providing and u PC is fit for ur need dont update anything

Edited by Kailung

53 minutes ago, Kailung said:

My conclusion is if u dont understand the updates they are providing and u PC is fit for ur need dont update anything

Even if they are releasing them in one batch, the bottom line is that if you see the word "Critical" then you should install.

As you say, there is always the chance you might click on the wrong link, especially if someone has hijacked a seemingly legitimate website unbeknownst to you and the owner (I see that a lot).

Better to block the vulnerabilities they are trying to exploit.

It's like the recent iOS update. Better to be safe than sorry.

38 minutes ago, Chicog said:

Even if they are releasing them in one batch, the bottom line is that if you see the word "Critical" then you should install.

As you say, there is always the chance you might click on the wrong link, especially if someone has hijacked a seemingly legitimate website unbeknownst to you and the owner (I see that a lot).

Better to block the vulnerabilities they are trying to exploit.

It's like the recent iOS update. Better to be safe than sorry.

Or u could get the opposite effect :C people are nasty and evil the update could cause u to have more problems (perhaps government planned it, so people would immediate fall in the trap and install it in order to allow  the government to stalk them :/ lol I could be right    never know life is sad :C

u could become more vulnerable if u do the update :/

Basically, when updating u are either deleting, adding or changing something. IOS incident was that someone developed a program to target  that specific system configuration. This means a different configuration could prevent its invasion e.g. newer system apple provides(change, delete or add something) and older system might also have the chance to prevent it as it's different but it depends on how the hacker did the coding

a is compatible with b

b is not compatible with c

it doesnt matter when did they get released it's more about whether compatible

I guess keep changing is the best way um so yea just keep udating the critical ones. 

Just like life u keep learning and u dont stop :D

Some updates help u to get up to date with the technology enabling u to use some new stuff like nowadays how people dont really use usb, CD and magnetic tape we like online storage u would therefore have problems finding hardware to read magnetic tape....

Edited by Kailung

Had a quick check of the Belarc downloads and none are on my computer already.

Checked some of the downloads on the M$ Knowledge base and some at least seem to be for The Office Suite and language packs. Don't understand why they should all be critical and important security updates :blink:

I'm not worried just curious about it. My system is running well with the regular scheduled Windows updates so ain't going to tempt fate by downloading these oddballs.

Wonder if anyone else is using Belarc Advisor and getting some additional critical downloads notice.

:thumbsup:

without any technical angle - I get a better warm and fuzzy feeling from Belarc (better than Msoft) , seeing what Belarc has to say about my PC's status

I don't think Belarc has any hidden Agendas, and have always had it onboard, since my win98 days

Agree about Belarc being warm an fuzzy, useful program that provides lots of info about your computer.

I've been using it like forever and though it would show a couple of "Missing Critical Updates" in the past it never bothered me,  i'ts just this latest thing that is showing so many missing updates has got me curious.

Capture.JPG

:blink:

psychologically, if product a is advertised with more functions than a similar product b wouldnt u prefer product a or feel more comfortable with product a. Are the stuff advertied any good for u or are the functions described same as what u think they are? Is product b not as good?Never going to know :C 

If Belarc does everything exactly the same as Win why would u use Belarc?

Edited by Kailung

3 hours ago, Beachcomber said:

Had a quick check of the Belarc downloads and none are on my computer already.

Checked some of the downloads on the M$ Knowledge base and some at least seem to be for The Office Suite and language packs. Don't understand why they should all be critical and important security updates :blink:

I'm not worried just curious about it. My system is running well with the regular scheduled Windows updates so ain't going to tempt fate by downloading these oddballs.

Wonder if anyone else is using Belarc Advisor and getting some additional critical downloads notice.

:thumbsup:

Installed it on two of mine, and the only missing update it found was Java 101 on one of them, which isn't really necessary these days anyway.

They are both clean on Windows Update and they're both clean on Belarc.

I'd run the Windows Update troubleshooter and make sure there is nothing afoot.

Edited by Chicog