Recommendation for a beach location outside Thailand?

Cinderella Man

Hey guys, what would you recommended as a nice holiday location not too far from Thailand?

I want to take my gf for 1st year anniversary but we will have only about 5 days.

So far my preference is Bali - I've been there before so know around a bit, it has good options (party = Kuta, chill-out = Ubud, beaches around)

Just the flights are quite expensive when you compare it with flying in SE Asia in general... I could just pay bit more and fly to Europe.

Thanks

Edited by Cinderella Man

Depends on what sort of things you want to do, and when you want to go, as weather needs consideration.

I would suggest Boracay, but for five days, its too much hassle to get there. But maybe somewhere else in the Philippines. Or Da Nang, Vietnam.

the usual AirAsia has quite cheap direct flites, as usual IF you book smartly and on time, but thats not generally a feature of most TV-users with GFs in tow.

Also note that-certainly if she has never been out of TH before, this may mean giant culture shock and visions of terrorists. Good old Penang seems a better + more familiair choice in that case to me. But beaches are not very good there-but then decent Thai GFs hardly care for beach anyway-who wants brown skin?

What is your nationality.

I would go to Vietnam, especialy if you are British, as you can now get a 15 day visa for no cost,

If you are an Ameican it will cost you $25 for your visa,

Your wife will find Vietnam more familiar, especially the food if she is familiar with Thai-Chinese food.

Ans a flight to Danang or Nha Trang in Vietnam js less than 2 hours fron Bangkok.

The only thong is, by October and November, the ocean  may seem cold to her, if she used to Thai beach temperatures.

More like Eesaan upcountry in the "cool season".

You will probably enjoy it but a Thai might  find it "too cold".

17 hours ago, phetphet said:

Depends on what sort of things you want to do, and when you want to go, as weather needs consideration.

I would suggest Boracay, but for five days, its too much hassle to get there. But maybe somewhere else in the Philippines. Or Da Nang, Vietnam.

Philippines is an option but Manila sux so I wouldn't want to spend there even one night... I've been to Palawan for almost 4 weeks and it definitely isn't the worlds most beautiful island as some claim :) Boracay could be better though

We would fly November/December

11 hours ago, IMA_FARANG said:

I would go to Vietnam, especialy if you are British, as you can now get a 15 day visa for no cost,

If you are an Ameican it will cost you $25 for your visa,

Your wife will find Vietnam more familiar, especially the food if she is familiar with Thai-Chinese food.

Ans a flight to Danang or Nha Trang in Vietnam js less than 2 hours fron Bangkok.

Not Vietnam as we spent there almost a month recently.

5 hours ago, phuketrichard said:

Head over to Myanmar, head down to Dawei from Yangon,  FANTASTIC Beach and local seafood and very inexpensive ( beach side bungalows for around $30-40)

cheap flights over

Sounds interesting! Will search more.

• 2 weeks later...

I would 100% recommend Da Nang in Vietnam. Been 2 times with my Thai Wife, she loves it. The beach is lovely, clean, soft sand, not crowded. Few eating places on the beach.

The people are friendly and helpful. 

Plenty bars restaurants in the town. Plenty little hotels cheap, nice and clean.

planning to go again this year.

Spent time in Burma last year and had four nice days at Ngapali, great place and I'll go back, but I'm heading over to Sri Lanka next, so Burma will need to wait a few more years. If you want to make your girl feel special, go to Ngapali. 

Accommodation was at Memento Resort, 18.40624, 94.33367, Beach facing fan room with private bathroom and breakfast (52000 mmk) You don't come to this area for cheap accommodation, the cheapest Agoda price was double this. Google map view https://goo.gl/maps/7Q5KChxQw4F2

http://www.lonelyplanet.com/myanmar-burma/west-coast-beaches-and-the-delta/ngapali-beach/introduction

For a real beach holiday, I would recommend Da Nang. Nice beaches, good hotels, cheap when just one block behind the behind the beach front 5 stars, and great food. Taxi from airport is a 10 minutes drive only. Easy motobike rent for daytrip to HoiAn etc.

A lovely sandy beachoutside Thailand?

Foklstone is really sandy.I am sure your mrs would love a bowl of jellied eels (Chmmies of course) and a stick of rock.Dont forget the 'kiss me quick hat' And of course the fortune teller on the pier,madam Zara sees and knows all'(although the last time i was there she was closed due to unforeseen circumstances)Of course the fish and chip shops are second to none,and she would be thrilled with 'Dream land 'which i still think has the biggest wooden roller coaster in the world.After all that.an evening stroll along the front.Its fun trying to avoid falling over all the Eastern Europeans,wrapped in blankets sleeping on the street.Dont forget the candy floss,I am sure that you both would spend hours after your return laughing about the dogs shit on the pavements and the Folkstone natives merrily asking your wife where her dace pole was and how much for a short time.

Yes,i can thoroughly recommend our great testimony to the great English seaside resort.

Dont forget to take snaps.

Have a great holiday.

Vietnam beaches for sure.  Take Nha Trang for instance, a nice park like setting separates the beach from the beach road businesses.  Practically no vendors, beach goes on and on.  After dark, fresh fish and lobsters cooked right along beach road.  Walked for miles up and down beach road, never felt security an issue, people are pleasant to deal with. 

Note:  Unless it has recently changed, one can not fly directly into Nha Trang, must fly into Cam Ran Bay and take a taxi to Nha Trang so a little added time to your travel to and from.  

9 hours ago, gk10002000 said:

Some beach areas in Cambodia seemed attractive.  None are especially a short trip from Thailand but still just a day trip away.

http://travel.cnn.com/explorations/play/outlook-cambodia/five-best-cambodian-beaches-781117/

Snooky has some nice beaches but Ko Rong is Sand fly hell , sensitive creatures such as myself will suffer alarmingly.

Cheap as chips (duty free island) & a great beach break with the other half [emoji106]

EDIT:!!! Apologies, this was the place that cost me 6 times as much... http://www.googleadservices.com/pagead/aclk?sa=L&ai=DChcSEwizteiW6P_OAhWBY7wKHX6FAewYABAA&ohost=www.google.co.uk&cid=CAASIuRoNiOmuklgFEiIBrF4ENn30Pran8rNF7z-pKUNn5_35aY&sig=AOD64_3rYZd9o5vzTESNb23Y3Kz1w_b2Vw&q=&ved=0ahUKEwjo-eOW6P_OAhVLs48KHRqXAuYQ0QwIGw&adurl=

This was the other place I looked at a similar price bracket http://www.casadelmar-langkawi.com/

I'll dig out the last place I stayed (approximately 1/6th of the price of the above), had a much better time there

^^^ sorry I can't edit my previous post, this is where I stayed last time... https://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/Hotel_Review-g1096282-d735747-Reviews-Melati_Tanjung_Motel-Pantai_Cenang_Langkawi_Langkawi_District_Kedah.html?m=19904

Right on the beach ( I upgraded to a deluxe room & it was worth the extra peanuts),

Be warned it has no restaurant or bar (Muslim hotel), you need to tell them when you want your room serviced & does silly things like taking a 50MYR (350-400THB) deposit for the TV remote (no quibbles about getting it back, lovely staff) but the location (& price) more than makes up for it [emoji106]