swimming pool - pros and cons

Pik

lots of things  you obviously need to take into consideration

I don't know what exactly the conditions are in Chiang mai.... but isnt it prone to flooding? (how will this affect you?)

are we talking about and above ground pool like the pictures above or a traditional pool built into the ground?

Can you afford the maintenance and is it worth it?

Is it possible you might attract unwanted wild life such as snakes by providing them with a safe haven from the heat?

Realistically how often are you really going to use said pool? I know allot of people who wanted to get a pool and once they actually do have it they hardly ever use it.

is there a risk of anyone you know drowning?

these are just a few questions you should be asking.... what it really boils down to... "How badly do you really want a pool and why?"

• Replies 129
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Forget about it!!

A maintenance and expensive headache/possible nightmare you don't want.

Find a swim, gym membership if there is one there close by.

Or just go to a hotel with a pool as most don't even ask if you are staying there.

Find a single friend poolside and spend the night!:cheesy:

Make a 25 meter pool and make a business out of it by renting it out to the local swimming club and other public. If there is no local swimming club start one. make a deal with the local abata for use as fire water reservoir in case of emergency...etc...etc...

Add a small gym to that and a tennis court, badminton court and voila!

Edited by AlQaholic

Ok Ihave a 10 M X2m X2M rectalgle pool its is a salt based (yes they are cheaper to run but more tricky to set up . Cleaning is once a week my kids use the pool 4-5 times a week and I swim 2-3 days a week we've jad it for 2yrs. Strongly advise getting hayward pumps and emau filters  with Zodiac Chlorinators (if you want salt based ) just those components are over 120K baht . Pool cost is around 700K all in then you reallly need to be on a ground well not gov't as the fill cost will be as much as having the well . When it rains heavy you will need to icrease the chlorine (or turn up the chlorinator) and add more chemicals as they get diluted . You will have bugs snakes frogs and even terrapins  to deal with . Suggest you make the pool in a courtyard not a greaased area and definately below ground (elevated above  the flood plain).

Planning is vital find out what ceramics you can get and how many you will need  any patterns lay them out in excel first so your thai builders know what you want . Build takes 3-4 months .

Is it worth it ??

depends on your situation for me no question the kids love it nothing beats a morning swin . We are 700Km from the coast so  reservoir or pool for a dip . It is a feature of your property and sets it apart . I assume in Chang Mai there may be cold  days so use may be reduced . Maintainence is basically a once a week brush on the floor of the pool and a once a month vacuum  plus a ceck every 2 weeks rain tends to be acidic in Thailand but our ground water is alkaline so happy balance is easily maintained . Iuse a bit of Soda Ash  if teh water get acid in the rainy and a bot of muric when the dry season kicks in . Electricity runs at around 1500 baht a month . Suggest you budget 2K a month for a pool general upkeep . 

Finally  please avoid the crap they sell at Global house etc it is chinese knock off the Saxon copy pumps are ok for chlorine pools ,in a salty they last 3-4 weeks .

all the parts you can get from Swimming pools Thailand they are online and the service and advice is100%. Ithink they can even do the whole project as well

4 hours ago, ronaldo0 said:

Have had several house with pools and at first it was great but now I get in it maybe once a week and even then I sit in the Jacuzzi .

They are fairly easy to clean but you need to learn how to test water etc if not using pool service to clean it.

Also the pumps, filters etc are not cheap and buying good names are expensive and hard to get a hold off for spares as I found out.

Look up aquabot. They sell complete built pools that just require the hole to be dug in the ground, quite cheap for what they are.

Personally im thinking of just making a large Jacuzzi for my next house and no pool.

So you have never been thinking about swimming to exercise after having SOOOO many pools ?

People are weird.

But I might be weird also, I still cannot understand why people have a totally useless jaccuzi ?

Edited by AsianExport

1 hour ago, ddraig92 said:

Ok Ihave a 10 M X2m X2M rectalgle pool its is a salt based (yes they are cheaper to run but more tricky to set up . Cleaning is once a week my kids use the pool 4-5 times a week and I swim 2-3 days a week we've jad it for 2yrs. Strongly advise getting hayward pumps and emau filters  with Zodiac Chlorinators (if you want salt based ) just those components are over 120K baht . Pool cost is around 700K all in then you reallly need to be on a ground well not gov't as the fill cost will be as much as having the well . When it rains heavy you will need to icrease the chlorine (or turn up the chlorinator) and add more chemicals as they get diluted . You will have bugs snakes frogs and even terrapins  to deal with . Suggest you make the pool in a courtyard not a greaased area and definately below ground (elevated above  the flood plain).

Planning is vital find out what ceramics you can get and how many you will need  any patterns lay them out in excel first so your thai builders know what you want . Build takes 3-4 months .

Is it worth it ??

depends on your situation for me no question the kids love it nothing beats a morning swin . We are 700Km from the coast so  reservoir or pool for a dip . It is a feature of your property and sets it apart . I assume in Chang Mai there may be cold  days so use may be reduced . Maintainence is basically a once a week brush on the floor of the pool and a once a month vacuum  plus a ceck every 2 weeks rain tends to be acidic in Thailand but our ground water is alkaline so happy balance is easily maintained . Iuse a bit of Soda Ash  if teh water get acid in the rainy and a bot of muric when the dry season kicks in . Electricity runs at around 1500 baht a month . Suggest you budget 2K a month for a pool general upkeep . 

Finally  please avoid the crap they sell at Global house etc it is chinese knock off the Saxon copy pumps are ok for chlorine pools ,in a salty they last 3-4 weeks .

all the parts you can get from Swimming pools Thailand they are online and the service and advice is100%. Ithink they can even do the whole project as well

How can you build a pool so cheap ?

Never found anything under 1MB for the smallest.

just careful building and managed the project myself commercially probably would be over 1M. Also we used end of line ceramics 8 inch from RCI and gathered all we could and made a design from the colours .

A Pro company  wouldn't have the time and would take standard pool ceramic stock preordered and they are super expensive 

On 28/08/2016 at 3:38 PM, lostinisaan said:

You can see your female guests what they really look like, without paying expensive meals at a wanna be hiso restaurant just to get her into your bed, and you might fall in love with her body and you immediately marry her by only paying three million baht to her parents.

All relatives and their friends automatically have the right to ask for more money for some damn stupid skin whitener. 

I never understood why foreigners come to Thailand, just to look way  better after a lot of sunbathes. Any men who're telling me that the "big white skinned chicks", with their visible blood vessels are sexy, should peacc and fragg off. 

No problem when you talk the usual bs, it's always easy to blame the hot sun for it. A heat stroke caused you to hit your wife and it wasn't really your fault, nor the alcohol you're drinking on daily basis. The sun did that, not you, kau tchai mai? 

Another important point is that  you can always keep your body in a good shape as swimming seems to be one of the best exercise next to sex. When you swim, you're using all muscles ( also those to laugh, when you see certain TVF members in a swimming suit and it's really healthy and  a lot of fun  fun chasing  good looking 19 year olds...

And sex in a pool is also a great experience. I appreciate it when the sun isn't that hot anymore and the neighbors aren't watching. But my neighbor likes it when the neighbors are watching them, I just don't know why. 

The negative points of a pool are: you'll always have too many guests and once you start to invite some "foreign friends", or relatives, they might believe that they only need to purchase a plane ticket to Bangkok where they get picked up by you  and in the future they'll always have  nice and very cheap holidays,, while you pay for everything from food to Shampoo. Of course will you wash their dirty and stinking clothes. They made the whole way just to see you. 

. Even the toilet paper, aeeh I mean the tissue has to be bought by you, don't expect anything coming from friends, relatives, or any Thai neighbors. 

You might be surprised why the water sometimes smells so fishy, it's neither dead fish, nor a rotten penguin. Too many people in a pool just let it go. The bathroom is six meters away, reason enough to do business where you are for many. 

Electricity has gotten quite expensive and I personally prefer to visit one of the local pools where some eye candies make my eyesight much better and  save a lot of money for new eye glasses, I don't really need. 

It's great to meet some new gigs, aeeh friends and I really love to pay only for the dinner and learn  some new Thai words and particular phrases for free. 

Water, or swimming pools in general have something in common. They make both,  males and females a sort of horny. I mean why should that be a bad thing when you see an outstanding body and can't leave the pool for a few minutes because it's too hard to do so? 

You'll find out that all the pool equipment is similar to the educational system, it might look good, but it doesn't function.

Finally, the financial side of having one, or not. I'd rather travel around the world for the money I'd have to pay for a damn pool and all the damn equipment that stops functioning after one week only. 

Sorry, gotta go and get the chloride out of my eyes. Some baby crocodiles keep unwanted guests out. 

C'mon, you only live once and go and buy your pool. I would if I could. 

I thought LSD was no longer available in Thailand ????

If you have the money, space and time and you want one... build one.

My first house we had a small pool.... used it every day.... and very popular with visitior and friends... so great parties.

My second house... no pool.  Did not really miss it.

Now my 3rd house has a pool.... for some reason I hardly ever use it.  Just the novelty of it has worn off.

The modern salt water pools are very easy to take care of yourself.. so you don't have to pay a pool company to come clean it.

Just keep in mind that the initial set up is expensive.  You have to clean it.. little and often.  If you don't it will get out of a balance and get green water or other problems.. which are a headache to get right again.

Also the filter pump will use a lot of electricity.. so expect high bills! 

just careful building and managed the project myself commercially probably would be over 1M. Also we used end of line ceramics 8 inch from RCI and gathered all we could and made a design from the colours .

A Pro company  wouldn't have the time and would take standard pool ceramic stock preordered and they are super expensive 

Are there special pool ceramic tiles?

What's the difference between bathroom ceramic tiles and pool ceramic tiles?

Sent from my SM-J700F using Tapatalk

On 8/28/2016 at 8:33 PM, jadee said:

Shouldn't that be 'Would you pay to have a swimming pool built on land owned by (insert Thai national's name)?'. The pros are that doing to would (temporarily) improve your relationship with said Thai person. The cons are that you wouldn't own it and would likely be responsible for all repairs and maintenance, but could use it for as long as your relationship with the owner lasted.  

it clearly shows that little do you know  :P

52 minutes ago, jak2002003 said:

If you have the money, space and time and you want one... build one.

My first house we had a small pool.... used it every day.... and very popular with visitior and friends... so great parties.

My second house... no pool.  Did not really miss it.

Now my 3rd house has a pool.... for some reason I hardly ever use it.  Just the novelty of it has worn off.

The modern salt water pools are very easy to take care of yourself.. so you don't have to pay a pool company to come clean it.

Just keep in mind that the initial set up is expensive.  You have to clean it.. little and often.  If you don't it will get out of a balance and get green water or other problems.. which are a headache to get right again.

Also the filter pump will use a lot of electricity.. so expect high bills! 

hats off! only an eggsburt is able to add these kind of misleading/wrong claims  :clap2: 

14 minutes ago, carlyai said:

Are there special pool ceramic tiles?

What's the difference between bathroom ceramic tiles and pool ceramic tiles?

it's just the small size (usually 10x10 or 15x15cm) that makes them "pool" tiles. basically one  can use any tiles for pools. mandatory is to keep the water at a balanced pH which is not rocket science.

On 8/29/2016 at 0:17 PM, weegee said:

Put a high roof over it if you build....the water stays cooler and there is less maintenance to keep the water right, as the sun doesnt have the effect like an uncovered pool....

Be prepared for a complete rebuild after a few years from inferior fittings, from so called "tradesman" ....It WILL happen.

our pool in Florida built 26 years ago, our pool in Thailand built 11 years ago have never been rebuilt!

next informative comment please.

On 8/29/2016 at 2:16 PM, AsianExport said:

This is why it's ridiculous to build a pool if you do not plan to exercise everyday in it. People buy pools as big as my bathroom and then do not understand what it's useless.

Just like it's stupid to buy a boat not big enough to live on it, because you will end up using it twice a year and then be very happy to sell it.

a pool is for fun, not for exercise.

5 hours ago, AsianExport said:

How can you build a pool so cheap ?

Never found anything under 1MB for the smallest.

Maybe you are engaged with the wrong people.

My pool is 60m³ free form with Jacuzzi and 2 meter high Waterfall in natural rock. 1 x 1.5hp Hayward SPII, 1x 3Hp Hayward SPII, 1 x 3HP Emaux pump, 1x Silencer 2Hp airblower, 1 x Hayward 28" filter, Zodiac Tri large pH chlorinator, 4 LED rgb lights and handmade clay fired pool tiles.

Total cost 650K

5 hours ago, AsianExport said:

So you have never been thinking about swimming to exercise after having SOOOO many pools ?

People are weird.

But I might be weird also, I still cannot understand why people have a totally useless jaccuzi ?

i still cannot understand why people criticise other people's lifestyle.

Maybe you are engaged with the wrong people.

My pool is 60m³ free form with Jacuzzi and 2 meter high Waterfall in natural rock. 1 x 1.5hp Hayward SPII, 1x 3Hp Hayward SPII, 1 x 3HP Emaux pump, 1x Silencer 2Hp airblower, 1 x Hayward 28" filter, Zodiac Tri large pH chlorinator, 4 LED rgb lights and handmade clay fired pool tiles.

Total cost 650K

You are a gentleman and a lovely person as well, with a great writing style and very smart and clever to have a lively pool built for yourself.

Got any engineering drawings of your pool for a poor Isaan dweller? [emoji39]

11 minutes ago, carlyai said:

You are a gentleman and a lovely person as well, with a great writing style and very smart and clever to have a lively pool built for yourself.

Got any engineering drawings of your pool for a poor Isaan dweller? emoji39.png

My pool was build by my house builder, 5 years old now, and no leakage or loose coming tiles.

15 minutes ago, bazza40 said:

IMHO it can be for both.

it can of course. it's all a matter of preference. personally i prefer fun to any exercise. you and me are the same age, both cardio patients, me much more critical than you. that's why i don't want waste any amount of precious hours of my remaining statistical lifetime.

by the way, today (in another thread) i wrote a dissertation addressed to you on having fun eating and losing weight or staying trim without physical exercise. then i used the preview function of this new improved software and POOF everything was gone p*ssing me royally off. to compensate my frustration i had fun in the pool. :)

24 minutes ago, carlyai said:

Got any engineering drawings of your pool for a poor Isaan dweller? emoji39.png

Carlyai, you were extremely helpful with my stabiliser purchase. unfortunately i can't provide engineering drawings of my pool (same as Anthony my builder took care) but building a pool is not rocket science.

i could waste some hours of doing the drawings myself but i am sure basic sketches and even detailed information are available in the net.