swimming pool - pros and cons

Pik

On 9/2/2016 at 10:13 AM, SantiSuk said:

Less true of Thailand, but if you read the press in falangland you might well form the view that there are so many nutters, child molesters and abducters out there that kids are probably safer in a back garden pool than they are playing in the local woods/park, like we all did when we were nippers. 

Obviously sensible precautions needed with very young kids and non-swimmers, but there are some risks you just have to take with children - or you go nuts yourself! Just my take - but everyone must take their own.

Those child molesters/abductors were around the the local swimming ponds 50 years ago already. I've been a victim at the age of 10

• Replies 129
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 8/30/2016 at 6:28 AM, ddraig92 said:

Ok Ihave a 10 M X2m X2M rectalgle pool its is a salt based (yes they are cheaper to run but more tricky to set up . Cleaning is once a week my kids use the pool 4-5 times a week and I swim 2-3 days a week we've jad it for 2yrs. Strongly advise getting hayward pumps and emau filters  with Zodiac Chlorinators (if you want salt based ) just those components are over 120K baht . Pool cost is around 700K all in then you reallly need to be on a ground well not gov't as the fill cost will be as much as having the well . When it rains heavy you will need to icrease the chlorine (or turn up the chlorinator) and add more chemicals as they get diluted . You will have bugs snakes frogs and even terrapins  to deal with . Suggest you make the pool in a courtyard not a greaased area and definately below ground (elevated above  the flood plain).

Planning is vital find out what ceramics you can get and how many you will need  any patterns lay them out in excel first so your thai builders know what you want . Build takes 3-4 months .

Is it worth it ??

depends on your situation for me no question the kids love it nothing beats a morning swin . We are 700Km from the coast so  reservoir or pool for a dip . It is a feature of your property and sets it apart . I assume in Chang Mai there may be cold  days so use may be reduced . Maintainence is basically a once a week brush on the floor of the pool and a once a month vacuum  plus a ceck every 2 weeks rain tends to be acidic in Thailand but our ground water is alkaline so happy balance is easily maintained . Iuse a bit of Soda Ash  if teh water get acid in the rainy and a bot of muric when the dry season kicks in . Electricity runs at around 1500 baht a month . Suggest you budget 2K a month for a pool general upkeep . 

Finally  please avoid the crap they sell at Global house etc it is chinese knock off the Saxon copy pumps are ok for chlorine pools ,in a salty they last 3-4 weeks .

all the parts you can get from Swimming pools Thailand they are online and the service and advice is100%. Ithink they can even do the whole project as well

Many thanks for this advice.  I asked some time ago and never get a usable reply.  This is good stuff.

On 8/30/2016 at 1:43 PM, Anthony5 said:

Maybe you are engaged with the wrong people.

My pool is 60m³ free form with Jacuzzi and 2 meter high Waterfall in natural rock. 1 x 1.5hp Hayward SPII, 1x 3Hp Hayward SPII, 1 x 3HP Emaux pump, 1x Silencer 2Hp airblower, 1 x Hayward 28" filter, Zodiac Tri large pH chlorinator, 4 LED rgb lights and handmade clay fired pool tiles.

Total cost 650K

who did you use to build it?

On 8/28/2016 at 8:33 PM, jadee said:

Shouldn't that be 'Would you pay to have a swimming pool built on land owned by (insert Thai national's name)?'. The pros are that doing to would (temporarily) improve your relationship with said Thai person. The cons are that you wouldn't own it and would likely be responsible for all repairs and maintenance, but could use it for as long as your relationship with the owner lasted.  

She is not an isaan girl.   The usufruct, or the “See-tee-kep-kin” is very good protection and i have very good lawyer.

3 hours ago, Pik said:

She is not an isaan girl.   The usufruct, or the “See-tee-kep-kin” is very good protection and i have very good lawyer.

Glad to hear it, I meant no offense. I thought this was a forum for foreigners to chat with other foreigners, I was answering in that spirit. If the landowner is Thai and they are paying, that changes everything, would have been helpful to mention that in the OP. My answer was in relation to a foreigner building a swimming pool, glad you've covered all the bases!

• 6 months later...
Carlyai, you were extremely helpful with my stabiliser purchase. unfortunately i can't provide engineering drawings of my pool (same as Anthony my builder took care) but building a pool is not rocket science.
i could waste some hours of doing the drawings myself but i am sure basic sketches and even detailed information are available in the net.

Naam, this is the first time you have been wrong. Building a pool in Isaan requires the builder to be more than a rocket scientist. [emoji14]

Sent from my SM-J700F using Tapatalk

Archived