swimming pool - pros and cons

Pik

9 minutes ago, sappersrest said:

Every pool should have one.

Our koi pool has 110W of UV zapper, the fish seem very happy with the water quality :)

Can I get away with lower chlorine levels if I have one on my bathing pool? Just how low can you go?

• Replies 129
  • Created
  • Last Reply
8 minutes ago, Crossy said:

Naam, isn't that your kidney dialysis machine?

it's multifunctional Crossy. dialysis, pool pump voltage stabiliser, dosing on sensed demand automatically CL, H²o², pH+, pH-, flocculation, copper sulphate and phrik nam pla. :gigglem:

3 minutes ago, Crossy said:

Our koi pool has 110W of UV zapper, the fish seem very happy with the water quality :)

Can I get away with lower chlorine levels if I have one on my bathing pool? Just how low can you go?

i am using 0.5ppm but my pool never gets sun. i am afraid for an outside pool in Thailand 3ppm are required. how much and where did you buy your 110W thingy? mine is about due and i have problems to get just the replacement bulb. only complete units are available.

For the koi I have two of these http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-Evolution-Aqua-evo-UV-Koi-Fish-Pond-Filter-Clarifier-EVO55-55w-55000-L-/222218372378? Obviously intended for fish ponds but no reason why they wouldn't work for pools, came with two spare tubes (one with each unit).

Forum sponsor SwimmingPoolsThailand also does UV thingies http://swimmingpoolsthailand.com/en/260-uv-sanitzers no indication if they also do spare tubes.

1 hour ago, Crossy said:

no reason why they wouldn't work for pools

water volume pool pump much higher?

why 2 in/outlets 1 big 1 small each side? connection diagram available?

pool dedicated gadgets locally four times more expensive but no shipping or customs duty.

17 minutes ago, Naam said:

water volume pool pump much higher?

why 2 in/outlets 1 big 1 small each side? connection diagram available?

pool dedicated gadgets locally four times more expensive but no shipping or customs duty.

Only one pipe each end, the other "connection" is the tube electrical connector. Flow to 15,000 L/hr according to the spec. these are non-directional, in one end out the other.

My two were 340 quid the pair including shipping and pre-paid duty but I note that the seller no longer offers international shipping, maybe they got stung :(

6 minutes ago, Crossy said:

My two were 300 quid the pair including shipping and pre-paid duty

dàmn cheap. congratulations! what's the size (lengths) of the 55W? fits in suitcase. i have German friends visiting me several times a year carrying "tons" of stuff for me.

that also depends on kind and location of pool, e.g. my pool needs cleaning twice a year. the pool area (our alternate living room) however is cleaned 5 times a week. here's why:

pool3.JPG.86ef44c01a1b9ee40e9313b056247a50.JPG

Nice set up. Relaxing.

Spose this pic is as close as I get to the midnight swim gropping/aerobics?

Found a site that has CAD downloadable pool engineering drawings. Gota pay for them but. Where's a good torrent when you need one?

That would also mean having to fire up my CAD program again after several years. Don't know if my brain can stand it.

How do I save all this great info, like save the link without stuff I'm not interested in?

Sometimes I can long press a post and it will let me copy and paste but not always.

Sent from my SM-J700F using Tapatalk

1 minute ago, carlyai said:

How do I save all this great info, like save the link without stuff I'm not interested in?

Sometimes I can long press a post and it will let me copy and paste but not always.

If you click on the post ID (top right of the post) you get a link to that post that you can save :) (top right of the post)

Every pool should have one.

'Sanitising' the pool water means killing the bugs I take it.

These UV lights are the same you could install on your house water filtration system. Is that correct?

So if you have a house water filtration system, that also supplies the pool water, you would'nt need one?

Crossy, why do you need one for the fish?

21 hours ago, Naam said:

our pool in Florida built 26 years ago, our pool in Thailand built 11 years ago have never been rebuilt!

next informative comment please.

Sorry Naam, sure it's not informative to someone like yourself....Just adding my experiences with my pool for reference to others, who may be just starting out with building a pool...The Technical side of a Pool , I will leave to experts like yourself.

'Sanitising' the pool water means killing the bugs I take it.

These UV lights are the same you could install on your house water filtration system. Is that correct?

So if you have a house water filtration system, that also supplies the pool water, you would'nt need one?

Crossy, why do you need one for the fish?

Crossy....found the answer on your uv light link. [emoji41]

1 minute ago, sappersrest said:

This leaflet can explain uv technology in pools better than I can though it is based on commercial pool applications.

Plenty of good info on the web.

http://www.hanovia.com/uk/wp-content/uploads/hanovia-swimming-pool-factsheet.pdf

i think the technology (UV exposure = bactericide, algaecide and what not *.cide) is easy to understand even for a layman. but i can't find in an informative pdf how the water flows. comparing the pictures of the pool sponsor the pool dedicated gadget is a single cylinder (like mine) where the flow is around the bulb (as it should be).

the fish dedicated gadget has the shape of two cylinders. if the bulb is placed in the part which has water in/outlet that's fine. but then why a second cylinder obviously the same size? electrical assembly only?

CROOOSSSY! take i saw. i have to know. otherwise i can't sleep tonight!

5 hours ago, Naam said:

the "salt water" pools people often refer to are not saltwater pools but pools chlorinated by electrolysis of NaCl (commonly known as salt).

People call them salt water pools.  That is what they are commonly called.  People ask for Chlorine or Salt water pools in the general public.  Most people would not go into a pool shop and ask, ''can you give me a quote for a pool chlorinated by electrolysis of NaCl please''?

5 hours ago, Naam said:

they are neither easier to take care of than a pool with a fitted chlorinator nor do they need less cleaning as they get dirty like every outdoor pool does. moreover, one does not need a pool company to clean a pool.

I never said they were easier to care for or needed less frequent cleaning.  I never said you need a pool company to clean them!  I said they were easy to clean yourself. 

5 hours ago, Naam said:

pools don't come for free. all are expensive if you are on a tight budget or cheap if you have a fat wallet.

Did I say they came for free? 

5 hours ago, Naam said:

no matter what pool, every pool needs cleaning. frequency depends what foreign matter is blown or drops into pool or what animals like your pool as much as you (eg. frogs, rats, snakes, mice, birdshit and crocodiles). before we moved to Thailand finding an alligator enjoying a pool was a common occurence in Florida.

Did I say a pool did not need cleaning? 

5 hours ago, Naam said:

no sh*t! :)  the electricity consumption depends on the pool size respectively the water volume that has to be recircled. a pump for a medium sized pool draws approximately the same power like a 12,000 btu/h aircon.

Many first time pool owners don't think of the extra cost of the electricity to power the pool pump.  Was I wrong or misleading to point that extra cost out?

5 hours ago, Naam said:

more on electricity consumption. Thai pool builders tend to oversize pumps and in addition think pool filtration of 8 hours a day is mandatory. but mandatory minimum filtration time is only required using chlorination by deriving chlorine from salt. average filtration for normal pool water sanitation can vary in rare cases (like our pool) from 2 hours/daily onward to 10 hours if the pump is underdimensioned (happens rarely but it happens).

What is a 'normal pool'?.  Is that a saltwater pool, a chlorine pool, a natural pond pool, or pools chlorinated by electrolysis of NaCl?  You said I was being worng and misleading to call a pool a saltwarer pool... so what exactly is your normal pool.  Should the OP go into the pool shop and ask for a normal pool or abnormal one?

I offered advise to the OP.. quite correct advise.  I can't see that I was being misleading or wrong in my advise. 

2 minutes ago, sappersrest said:

In answer to Naams question the inlet and outlet water flow will be over the uv lamps as the top section contains the ballast.

top section has water in/outlet = water flowing in/out the ballast section? :shock1:

or is the lamp located in the top section too?

if yes, whats the lower section (same size) for?

all CUV units have been designed using the latest design technology to ensure that the water will flow effectively
within the unit

ha, now i know! secret, innovative, not yet patented flow design which can't be published to prevent competition copying :ermm:

I know I wouldn't build one even if I had oodles of money. I get bore from swimming after a while so I would use it much for that. Just work to keep it cleaned and the bugs out. Plus the cost of heating it. 

But mostly because where I live I would have the only swimming pool around for miles. I love Kids, but I wouldn't want them coming here everyday to ask me if they can swim, or worst yet just going on there own. I know most people would tell me to just say no, but it is more difficult when all of them are a cousin to a cousin of my wife and would bring a friend with them. 

I wouldn't worry so much that they use the pool, but more worried if one of them were to drown. I don't have time to watch them all day, and I don't really trust many to do that for me either. So it is better not to have one in the first place for me.   

9 hours ago, Naam said:

top section has water in/outlet = water flowing in/out the ballast section? :shock1:

or is the lamp located in the top section too?

if yes, whats the lower section (same size) for?

The UV lamp is in the lower section (inside a quartz tube), water flows in through the connection at the top, then is directed down and around the tube, flows along the unit then up and out at the other end. The ballast is in the middle of the upper section.

Untitled-1.jpg

The tube in these units is similar to a regular fluorescent lamp with an electrical connection at each end.

3 hours ago, Crossy said:

water flows in through the connection at the top, then is directed down and around the tube, flows along the unit then up and out at the other end.

that means the claim "latest design technology" is clearly an understatement. in my view adding the attribute "brilliant" is justified.

joke aside... they must have done a proper research to come up with the "around the corners" solution.

2 hours ago, Crossy said:

I think that it's done like that so they can use the cheaper straight tube :)

You can actually replace the tube without draining the unit (and even with the water flowing).

You should be able to do this on all uv units as the bulb is encased in a quartz glass tube..

TIP cleaning the outside of the quartz tube , will keep the efficiency of the unit up to scratch you will have to turn the water off for this ,remember do not touch the bulb with bare hands, if for some reason you do use alcohol to clean the greasy paw prints off.

14 hours ago, GOLDBUGGY said:

I wouldn't worry so much that they use the pool, but more worried if one of them were to drown. I don't have time to watch them all day, and I don't really trust many to do that for me either. So it is better not to have one in the first place for me.   

The advertising makes bold claims but the technology is out there???

https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/bluefox-st1-world-s-first-anti-drowning-bracelet#/

8 hours ago, sappersrest said:

The advertising makes bold claims but the technology is out there???

https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/bluefox-st1-world-s-first-anti-drowning-bracelet#/

Bold claims indeed. Personally I don't see some alarm going off when a person is in a certain depth of water, helping much, as you only need your nose and mouth cover in water to drown. You also still need to be at the pool when the kids are in that, in case something happens.

I remember one time my young daughter was playing in a swimming pool with another bigger girl in shallow water. For some reason the bigger girl jumped on my little daughter shoulders causing her to go under water were she could not get up. My x-wife jumped in pulling this girl off and when my daughter came up she was fighting for breath and coughing out water.

Kids are Kids and they can't (and shouldn't) be trusted in water. Some adult should be at the swimming pool at all time when there are kids splashing and playing in it. No matter how deep the water is.   

Less true of Thailand, but if you read the press in falangland you might well form the view that there are so many nutters, child molesters and abducters out there that kids are probably safer in a back garden pool than they are playing in the local woods/park, like we all did when we were nippers. 

Obviously sensible precautions needed with very young kids and non-swimmers, but there are some risks you just have to take with children - or you go nuts yourself! Just my take - but everyone must take their own.

Archived