swimming pool - pros and cons

Pik

it can of course. it's all a matter of preference. personally i prefer fun to any exercise. you and me are the same age, both cardio patients, me much more critical than you. that's why i don't want waste any amount of precious hours of my remaining statistical lifetime.

by the way, today (in another thread) i wrote a dissertation addressed to you on having fun eating and losing weight or staying trim without physical exercise. then i used the preview function of this new improved software and POOF everything was gone p*ssing me royally off. to compensate my frustration i had fun in the pool. [emoji4]

You know it is so easy to have fun in the pool and exercise.

Just go and google aqu aerobics videos and you will find some fun workouts.

I'm just on the losing weight thingy too and unfortunately giving up the grog is the main helper for me losing 5kg in 14 days, but what, for me, is different this time is me playing the utube self hypnosis tapes just before sleeping.

I learnt self hypnosise from in my 40's when I broke my back at work and couldn't get the pain level down with meds.

Anyway I wonder, but if you have cardio or any health probs, the pool and exercises in the pool and aqua aerobics, eventually with some small pool weights a noodle and a pull boy are great fun.[emoji41]

Sent from my SM-J700F using Tapatalk

• Replies 129
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Carlyai, you were extremely helpful with my stabiliser purchase. unfortunately i can't provide engineering drawings of my pool (same as Anthony my builder took care) but building a pool is not rocket science.

i could waste some hours of doing the drawings myself but i am sure basic sketches and even detailed information are available in the net.

You would have thought so naam, but i can't find any complete ones. Can find bits and pieces.

You are right about easy to draw one up, i can do that, but I wanted something to compare mine to [emoji3]

7 minutes ago, carlyai said:

Anyway I wonder, but if you have cardio or any health probs, the pool and exercises in the pool and aqua aerobics, eventually with some small pool weights a noodle and a pull boy are great fun.emoji41.png

our perception of fun differs. for me it's fun grabbing the boobs or the derrière of the Mrs when she's doing her (up to) 150 lengths around midnight passing me.  :lol:

18 minutes ago, carlyai said:

You are right about easy to draw one up, i can do that, but I wanted something to compare mine to emoji3.png

you got me. sent your drawings or sketches. i will compare. i have a wee bit technical background and also some experience. in Florida i couldn't find a pool builder who was willing to do the main installation of pumps, filters, sensors, solenoid valves, timers, crosspiping according to my strict design.

so i did it myself  :thumbsup:

411-240.jpg

1 hour ago, Naam said:

it can of course. it's all a matter of preference. personally i prefer fun to any exercise. you and me are the same age, both cardio patients, me much more critical than you. that's why i don't want waste any amount of precious hours of my remaining statistical lifetime.

by the way, today (in another thread) i wrote a dissertation addressed to you on having fun eating and losing weight or staying trim without physical exercise. then i used the preview function of this new improved software and POOF everything was gone p*ssing me royally off. to compensate my frustration i had fun in the pool. :)

sorry bazza, my bad. mistook you for another TV-member.

Whatever you do, don't get a pool which has the (dirty) water inlet close to the (clean) filtered water outlet. Meaning, have water which needs to be sucked out of the pool to be filtered on one side of the pool and have the clean, filtered water return to the pool on the opposite side. I.e. far from each other. Otherwise the clean, filtered water goes straight back into the dirty water inlet without actually entering the pool. That is vitally important!   

our perception of fun differs. for me it's fun grabbing the boobs or the derrière of the Mrs when she's doing her (up to) 150 lengths around midnight passing me.  [emoji38]

Your fun is heaps better than my fun. [emoji83]

That's (up to) about 145 grabs a day, (maybe miss some in the night time).

Lots of bicep and tricep curls, aqua aerobic leg shuffles, grey matter intercept planning, tummy tightning for powerful grabbing motion......a real work out........got some pics of the exercise routine?[emoji6]

you got me. sent your drawings or sketches. i will compare. i have a wee bit technical background and also some experience. in Florida i couldn't find a pool builder who was willing to do the main installation of pumps, filters, sensors, solenoid valves, timers, crosspiping according to my strict design.

so i did it myself  [emoji106]

411-240.jpg.449cb18fd8f29b9073e56c2d5db25a2a.jpg

Thanks for that.

Will take a while, as still not finished painting the shed and and a million other projects.....but will get there and take you up on the offer.

I'm sorry to bother you, and really initially thought I was posting to another pool owner/poster.....but now all good.

1 hour ago, jak2002003 said:

What was misleading / wrong about my 'claims'?

The modern salt water pools are very easy to take care of yourself.. so you don't have to pay a pool company to come clean it.

the "salt water" pools people often refer to are not saltwater pools but pools chlorinated by electrolysis of NaCl (commonly known as salt).

they are neither easier to take care of than a pool with a fitted chlorinator nor do they need less cleaning as they get dirty like every outdoor pool does. moreover, one does not need a pool company to clean a pool.

Just keep in mind that the initial set up is expensive.

pools don't come for free. all are expensive if you are on a tight budget or cheap if you have a fat wallet.

You have to clean it.. little and often. 

no matter what pool, every pool needs cleaning. frequency depends what foreign matter is blown or drops into pool or what animals like your pool as much as you (eg. frogs, rats, snakes, mice, birdshit and crocodiles). before we moved to Thailand finding an alligator enjoying a pool was a common occurence in Florida.

Also the filter pump will use a lot of electricity.. so expect high bills!

no sh*t! :)  the electricity consumption depends on the pool size respectively the water volume that has to be recircled. a pump for a medium sized pool draws approximately the same power like a 12,000 btu/h aircon.

more on electricity consumption. Thai pool builders tend to oversize pumps and in addition think pool filtration of 8 hours a day is mandatory. but mandatory minimum filtration time is only required using chlorination by deriving chlorine from salt. average filtration for normal pool water sanitation can vary in rare cases (like our pool) from 2 hours/daily onward to 10 hours if the pump is underdimensioned (happens rarely but it happens).

11 hours ago, peergin said:

No, pools with only about 30 cm (12 inches) between IN and OUT are being sold aggressively to people who do not know about this problem. 

Having visited Australia a good few times this method seems to be the most popular ( and totally incorrect) way of plumbing in pools along with pumps that are to large and filters that are to small, without the risk of repeating what I have posted earlier . With a well designed hydraulic system you should hardly notice any water movement in the pool whilst achieving the correct turnover times and safe suction and flow velocities at inlets and outlets. 

Having looked over a number of pools in Thailand ,  Australia  and countries in Europe  I have come to the conclusion there is a great need for pool installers to be better educated in pool hydraulics and at least have some understanding of flow  and suction velocities.Not to rely on commercial design software packages as issued by equipment manufactures.

no sh*t! [emoji4]  the electricity consumption depends on the pool size respectively the water volume that has to be recircled. a pump for a medium sized pool draws approximately the same power like a 12,000 btu/h aircon.

more on electricity consumption. Thai pool builders tend to oversize pumps and in addition think pool filtration of 8 hours a day is mandatory. but mandatory minimum filtration time is only required using chlorination by deriving chlorine from salt. average filtration for normal pool water sanitation can vary in rare cases (like our pool) from 2 hours/daily onward to 10 hours if the pump is underdimensioned (happens rarely but it happens).

Hope I'm not too rude to ask a question or two during your conversations.

1. Pardon my ignorance, Naam are you saying that the thingy that makes the chlorine from salt is different from a clorinator? I thought you could have a pool where you used salt and you needed a clorinator to change the salt to the cl, OR, you could have no salt and ni thingy and use broadcast chlorine or cl tablets?

2. Are you hinting that using cl is better than salt?

Long time ago I've had both. No trouble broadcasting the cl, but small amount of trouble with the salt.

As you say, both require the same amount of cleaning maint. etc.

3 minutes ago, sappersrest said:

With a well designed hydraulic system you should hardly notice any water movement in the pool whilst achieving the correct turnover times and safe suction and flow velocities at inlets and outlets. 

i have to disagree because "skimming by overflow" pools is obviously an accepted standard in Thailand and rightly so because the efficiency is 100 times or more higher then an elcheapo tiny suction skimmer. for overflow pools it is mandatory to have surface water movement added by aditional jets installed at the opposite side of the overflow just a few centimeters below water level for optimal skimming. all my former pools were skimmer pools and it took ages for a leaf to be sucked in.

12 minutes ago, carlyai said:

Hope I'm not too rude to ask a question or two during your conversations.

1. Pardon my ignorance, Naam are you saying that the thingy that makes the chlorine from salt is different from a clorinator? I thought you could have a pool where you used salt and you needed a clorinator to change the salt to the cl, OR, you could have no salt and ni thingy and use broadcast chlorine or cl tablets?

2. Are you hinting that using cl is better than salt?

Long time ago I've had both. No trouble broadcasting the cl, but small amount of trouble with the salt.

As you say, both require the same amount of cleaning maint. etc.

stop apologising carlyay ^_^ before i built my first pool 36 years ago i must have been more ignorant than you.

-of course the electrolysis thingy is complete different because CL has to derived from salt whereas CL in liquid, powdered or tablet form has to be added without any "conversion".

-no salt needed when CL in the above-mentioned form is used.

-chlorination by electrolysys requires a higher investment (25k to 40k Baht) depending on pool size whereas a chlorinator is 3k to 5k Baht. BUT i have learned that in Thailand only chlorinators for expensive tablets are available. liquid or powdered CL has to be applied manually. i have not checked these facts because initially i used different chemicals (not CL) to sanitise and balance my pool but with an extremely expensive dosage gadget which i still use.

it looks like this but please don't ask me what the cost was :sick:

auto dosage.jpg

Naam we will have to agree to disagree on this point , I was trying to make the point that you do not need  to have jets of water coming from the inlets. If the hydraulics were correctly designed you would also not need the inlets installed a few centimeters below the surface.

Good little controllers ,I used to be an agent for Bayrol equip in the UK found them to be extremely reliable If you require any info or a spare parts list please let me know i have the full range on disc.

Do you have a strainer on the sample line?Or is it out of shot.

Happily retired now.

38 minutes ago, carlyai said:

As you say, both require the same amount of cleaning maint. etc

that also depends on kind and location of pool, e.g. my pool needs cleaning twice a year. the pool area (our alternate living room) however is cleaned 5 times a week. here's why:

pool3.JPG

28 minutes ago, sappersrest said:

Naam we will have to agree to disagree on this point , I was trying to make the point that you do not need  to have jets of water coming from the inlets. If the hydraulics were correctly designed you would also not need the inlets installed a few centimeters below the surface.

i concur, let's agree to disagree. no problem among friends :)

23 minutes ago, sappersrest said:

Good little controllers ,I used to be an agent for Bayrol equip in the UK found them to be extremely reliable If you require any info or a spare parts list please let me know i have the full range on disc.

Do you have a strainer on the sample line?Or is it out of shot.

Happily retired now.

thanks, never had a part problem. have a set of parts never used except the hoses which i replaced several times over 10 years.

but what would be interesting for me was how much was the thingy sold during your time? never found any prices in the net, Bayrol, Germany directed me to my installer who unfortunately wrapped himself and his Harley around a concrete pole.

Archived