Swimmer Nick Thomas dies crossing English Channel

webfact

Swimmer Nick Thomas dies crossing English Channel

LONDON: --- A man has died while trying to swim the English Channel.

Nick Thomas, 45, from Ellesmere in Shropshire, was pulled unconscious from the water as he neared the end of the 21-mile endurance feat.

A spokesman for the Channel Swimming and Piloting Federation said he was taken from the water "less than a mile from the finish in France".

Mr Thomas had set off from Dover on Saturday morning and had been swimming for about 16 hours.

Full story: http://www.bbc.com/news/uk-england-shropshire-37209271

bbc_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright BBC 2016-08-29

I  have a little sympathy for people who put themselves in extreme risk and don't think about their friends and family who suffer after their death.

However, I do respect their courage and accomplishments. 

I always thought these swims took place with a support boat in close proximity. I guess a heart attack can happen almost silently and before its noticed it would be too late. RIP and respectful pushing yourself. I hope his family find peace.

1 hour ago, Andaman Al said:

I always thought these swims took place with a support boat in close proximity. I guess a heart attack can happen almost silently and before its noticed it would be too late. RIP and respectful pushing yourself. I hope his family find peace.

Cardiac arrest could occur since he was not allowed to wear a wet suit and hypothermia  could bring on heart failure  and if body temp too low would not be able to be revived. RIP