webfact

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

22 minutes ago, mike324 said:

perhaps we should forward her this thread so she can sue more folks for calling her fat! that'll be fun....

the main question remains: was she called OUAN or POMPOUILLE????

It's a sinister trend to make hurting someone's feelings a criminal offence, but the snowflake generation is pushing things that way. If that happens there'll be no end to all the cases; the courts will be clogged with them.

It's impossible to define such a law adequately - exactly what becomes illegal and why. It would be easy for opportunistic people to falsely claim their feelings have been hurt and it would be impossible to prove otherwise.

The law should be very careful not to set precedents.

People just have to toughen up.

Just now, DM07 said:

More horrible, than a butt- hurt woman, sueing over basically nothing?

I think she has a point, her picture was taken without her permission and was then made public for the purpose of ridicule,whether you consider her fat or not is beside the point, her personal space has been violated,she isn't a celebrity,she is a private person going about her legal business. I hope she sues and wins, i would. 

19 minutes ago, soalbundy said:

I think she has a point, her picture was taken without her permission and was then made public for the purpose of ridicule,whether you consider her fat or not is beside the point, her personal space has been violated,she isn't a celebrity,she is a private person going about her legal business. I hope she sues and wins, i would. 

Her personal space is excessive. She takes up too much space on the Skytrain, foot paths and escalators and needs to slim down. Also, her gluttony and overconsumption worsen the massive deforestation, overfishing and global warming in our world.

13 minutes ago, ddavidovsky said:

It's a sinister trend to make hurting someone's feelings a criminal offence, but the snowflake generation is pushing things that way. If that happens there'll be no end to all the cases; the courts will be clogged with them.

It's impossible to define such a law adequately - exactly what becomes illegal and why. It would be easy for opportunistic people to falsely claim their feelings have been hurt and it would be impossible to prove otherwise.

I agree with much of what you have written, if he had insulted her to her face she could have retorted or just laughed and moved on but social media was used holding her up to ridicule to the general public but worst of all to her friends colleagues and family.

What a sad state of affairs when someone feels slighted by an accidental bump ( unknown to the 'perpetrator') , takes a pic of that person, uploads it to social media replete with insults. This guy needs to do some self reflection. Nasty.

With the draconian defamation laws here, in which most cases are judged on the plaintiffs' behalf, she's got a good chance of winning and collecting damages.  Irrespective of whether the defamation involved truth-telling or not!

14 minutes ago, tubby johnson said:

Her personal space is excessive. She takes up too much space on the Skytrain, foot paths and escalators and needs to slim down. Also, her gluttony and overconsumption worsen the massive deforestation, overfishing and global warming in our world.

Ha! It's not mildly porky who take up too much space: it's the whackos with their cell phones: in the doorway of the trains, on escalators, in shops....everywhere. Not only Thailand, although The Kingdom is a world leader in this pestilence, these people who can't walk a few metres without checking email are everywhere

On 08/29/2016 at 4:19 PM, seajae said:

jesus, talk about thin skinned, seems thais have found another way to make money. We all know what our bodies look like, this girl even calls herself fat but want to sue someone else for doing the same thing, to be honest she is not that fat and there are a lot more that are way bigger. Pretty pathetic when we see this sort of crap starting to happen although people really need to think before posting pics of others with derogatory remarks but then some people are too stupid to realize they are doing the wrong thing while others cant handle the truth

I don't think Jesus is a TVF member!

Sorry, but...no one knows her, no one really cares...it's a storm in a tea- cup. And she sues, occupies a judge and time and...seriously?!

This is a bit like the woman who sued McDonalds over not telling her, that their hot coffee is hot!

Waste of time!

1 hour ago, DM07 said:

Sorry, but...no one knows her, no one really cares...it's a storm in a tea- cup. And she sues, occupies a judge and time and...seriously?!

This is a bit like the woman who sued McDonalds over not telling her, that their hot coffee is hot!

Waste of time!

It's a clear cut case of defamation here as the slander has been recorded electronically. She can go for criminal charges or civil, or both. The laws here provide for restitution in cases like this. If you have a problem with that, then blame the Thai law makers, not the girl. She stands to gain quite a bit of cash here. Why do you think she changed her mind and decided to press charges? Obviously someone schooled her.

Here's how it works. She goes for a criminal prosecution either with the police, or directly to the court if the police choose not to act on it (most likely). It will take about 3 months for the first court hearing. At this point the defendant will have her lawyer attend court on her behalf and the case will be brought before a judge. The defendant will be facing jail time over this, so the most likely outcome is that they will want to negotiate for a settlement. It's a near certainty that the defendant will want to settle as she will not want to serve time in jail. Even if she is not rich, she'll find the money to keep her out of jail. The plaintiff will get the 60k she wants plus her legal fees. She could go for more. A good lawyer will start much higher.

Why shouldn't she do it? She'd be a fool not to proceed.

If it had been me, as a woman...I wouldn't have liked it at all, especially if I was a bit on the plump side (which I'm not) but I probably wouldn't have done anything about it.  However the 'animal' part is quite a different matter.  That is downright nasty and unnecessary

I suppose that most of you posters are men and most of you know-alls wouldn't know how a woman thinks.  We don't care for derogatory remarks about our bodies, certainly not if we are fat.

1 hour ago, Gillyflower said:

If it had been me, as a woman...I wouldn't have liked it at all, especially if I was a bit on the plump side (which I'm not) but I probably wouldn't have done anything about it.  However the 'animal' part is quite a different matter.  That is downright nasty and unnecessary

I suppose that most of you posters are men and most of you know-alls wouldn't know how a woman thinks.  We don't care for derogatory remarks about our bodies, certainly not if we are fat.

false compliments would be OK though. The PC world has gone bonkers, in Germany a fat woman would be described in a clothes shop as voll schlank = full slim, now in Australia women are complaining about the plus sign put behind a measurement. If you are fat, you are fat, no amount of PC hogwash can disguise the fact. I have read many times that derogatory remarks or embarrassing situations have caused people to slim down,so honesty it has its good side

What would have happened if someone who you did not know took a photo of  your wife and put it on social media and called her fat , or called her a bar girl and put that on social media as well. Would that make you upset and want justice?

3 minutes ago, kevvy said:

What would have happened if someone who you did not know took a photo of  your wife and put it on social media and called her fat , or called her a bar girl and put that on social media as well. Would that make you upset and want justice?

I would want justice as i have written a post here #67 to that effect which has nothing to do with the opinions i express in my post #83

7 hours ago, ddavidovsky said:

It's not a sinister trend at all. It's against the law in Thailand to abuse someone verbally or on the Internet to a 3rd party. The courts are already clogged - it took me 3 months to get a hearing... and then another 6 weeks for a second, so a defamation case will probably take a about 6 months to complete if there is no negotiated settlement. In this case it could be settled before it goes to court. In most cases they are probably settled before a judgment is made, so I doubt many people are doing time over these type of charges.

It's not impossible to define this law. Have you had a look at it? It's not as complicated as you think. This case is quite clear cut and the plaintiff will win.

2 hours ago, soalbundy said:

false compliments would be OK though. The PC world has gone bonkers, in Germany a fat woman would be described in a clothes shop as voll schlank = full slim, now in Australia women are complaining about the plus sign put behind a measurement. If you are fat, you are fat, no amount of PC hogwash can disguise the fact. I have read many times that derogatory remarks or embarrassing situations have caused people to slim down,so honesty it has its good side

Why are you people obsessed with the "fat" element of the insult? The "animal" part is the key to this case. fat+animal makes it a slam dunk in court.

It doesn't matter if she is considered fat or slightly fat or very fat. The comment was meant as a nasty insult, and that's the basis of this case.

10 minutes ago, tropo said:

It's not a sinister trend at all. It's against the law in Thailand to abuse someone verbally or on the Internet to a 3rd party. The courts are already clogged - it took me 3 months to get a hearing... and then another 6 weeks for a second, so a defamation case will probably take a about 6 months to complete if there is no negotiated settlement. In this case it could be settled before it goes to court. In most cases they are probably settled before a judgment is made, so I doubt many people are doing time over these type of charges.

It's not impossible to define this law. Have you had a look at it? It's not as complicated as you think. This case is quite clear cut and the plaintiff will win.

How to judge the gravity of the offence? The offence taken is entirely subjective. Sensitive people will take offence at something that normal people will laugh at. Why should the law drag everyone down to the level of the most sensitive?

How to judge the context? In the current case - who knows exactly what happened when the woman bumped into the man? - perhaps her behaviour was actually inflammatory. It's just one person's word against another's.

How to distinguish between genuine hostility and unintentional offence-giving such as teasing? That could lead to all sorts of unfair judgements.

How to prevent people faking or exaggerating offence in order to win damages? Not possible.

Some people will no doubt profit by it, but such a law is generally unworkable and will have potentially damaging consequences for society.

I haven't seen the law as it stands in Thailand. Do you have a link to a good English translation?

"Ploynaphat said that if she ended up getting the compensation she is asking for, she’d donate it to a charity that helps disabled animals and the National Cancer Institute of Thailand.."

Cheerful and radiant, interestingly she displays more dignity than the person who tried to shame her - and most of the puerile name calling posters here.