Its nearly 5 0 am and I'm not going out on the bike because its passing down

n210mp

The reason for this thread is because I am also passing a bit of time waiting ,sat here in my OAP lycra cycle suit for the rain to stop.

So a quick coffee and onto TVF , Pattaya forum first and the  thread where the bod is knocking Pattaya, Rimmer correctly gives it the attention this type of post deserves but having said that, I then thought a bit about just what is the "truth" about this place I call home.

Just where in Thailand can you get what we have on offer here?

Yes at first glance if you just nosy about the brightside I think that it is exactly how the "Knocker" described it, you cannot argue with the truth but even this  negative view has some merit, like appreciating just how good it is away from the "bright side" which is where I spend my time, seldom going West of Sukhumvit except of course for Big C Carrefour or Immigration purposes.

The many "villages" around the darkside, the North, the South all have their own facilities, charm and attractions.

Just look over the Mabrachan area, Bansare, Ban Chang, Hui Hai, Ban Amphur, Chanock reservoir.

The many golf courses, not all expensive either, the cinemas, the general sports facilities, so many , so diverse and all within a 30 minute ride from central Pattaya

I am sure that there are places that have some of the stuff we have here but not many.

Conventionally if you dont look around , you will not see and the fact is that the Pattaya knockers are really just in the nicest way, "ignorant" of just what is on offer here.

I think that you may have to live here for a while to understand just what is on offer in the Pattaya area of Chonburi.

It's like judging London solely on the "Soho" area, just doesn't cut it really does it or is even fair to do that.

3 hours ago, jeca22 said:

Many Pattaya Thais are from other provinces so there's no regional pride towards the city or the people (including you) so that's annoying. Most Thais here behave like a--holes.

Ha ha ha thanks !

Of course you have  some of it wrong but who am I to argue and 

your words are contradictory !

Pattaya like London's  Soho is a Cesspit, Hell  or Heaven of different cultures.  (depends on your take I suppose)

As you state there are many Ethnic origins including Thai workers from all over thailand who are either here in Pattaya to make money from the unsuspecting traveler or to "service" the economy, one way or another. (There are many Farangs trying to do  a similar job here as well)

In that mix there are the  good, the  bad and the indifferent,  regional pride you talk about does not generally  exist in the greater Thailand, never mind the hotbed of iniquity that is Pattaya!

As for your take on my having any pride for Pattaya or indeed Thailand  , didn't you read my OP thoroughly?

I only mentioned I suppose places of interest but if you could have read through my lines, granting me a little poetic licence then  it follows that just maybe, I have a personal  interaction with most of the places that I mention.

For instance I play a French game called Petanque with mostly Thai people at a temple behind Sukhumvit at Bansare, I play cheap charlie golf with my Thai and European friends at a Thai navy marine base in Sattahip. I cycle  with my Ozzie mate Rob and occasionally with a fantastic group of thai people around the whole Eastern side of Pattaya.

To say I am proud of these interactions with my Thai friends and acquaintances  would be overstating or indeed  "guilding the lily" so to speak but I am pleased that I have fully integrated despite language difficulties and been to some extent fully "accepted" by my Thai Hosts around the places mentioned.

I have many Thai friends at these places and they, for the most part are typical of the genre, pleasant, always smiling and joking, in other words a pleasure to be with so very different from the mainstream culture of central Pattaya, which I was , as you must well know referring to in my OP

Edited by n210mp

Its always amazing to me that when I and other people often respond to a critique of any of my/our  posts, I/we  never ever get any further  responses.

At one time maybe long ago I would never have got away with my last response because some "Wit" would wish to take the challenge and  have a good debate, whether right or wrong it didn't matter, just as long as the poster could put two or three sensible words together, even becoming  a "devil's advocate".

Maybe there is a shortage of people, who like me just love to have a non malicious debate/ argument to keep the cobwebs forming on our ageing brains

On ‎30‎/‎08‎/‎2016 at 11:47 AM, n210mp said:

Ha ha ha thanks !

Of course you have  some of it wrong but who am I to argue and 

your words are contradictory !

Pattaya like London's  Soho is a Cesspit, Hell  or Heaven of different cultures.  (depends on your take I suppose)

As you state there are many Ethnic origins including Thai workers from all over thailand who are either here in Pattaya to make money from the unsuspecting traveler or to "service" the economy, one way or another. (There are many Farangs trying to do  a similar job here as well)

In that mix there are the  good, the  bad and the indifferent,  regional pride you talk about does not generally  exist in the greater Thailand, never mind the hotbed of iniquity that is Pattaya!

As for your take on my having any pride for Pattaya or indeed Thailand  , didn't you read my OP thoroughly?

I only mentioned I suppose places of interest but if you could have read through my lines, granting me a little poetic licence then  it follows that just maybe, I have a personal  interaction with most of the places that I mention.

For instance I play a French game called Petanque with mostly Thai people at a temple behind Sukhumvit at Bansare, I play cheap charlie golf with my Thai and European friends at a Thai navy marine base in Sattahip. I cycle  with my Ozzie mate Rob and occasionally with a fantastic group of thai people around the whole Eastern side of Pattaya.

To say I am proud of these interactions with my Thai friends and acquaintances  would be overstating or indeed  "guilding the lily" so to speak but I am pleased that I have fully integrated despite language difficulties and been to some extent fully "accepted" by my Thai Hosts around the places mentioned.

I have many Thai friends at these places and they, for the most part are typical of the genre, pleasant, always smiling and joking, in other words a pleasure to be with so very different from the mainstream culture of central Pattaya, which I was , as you must well know referring to in my OP

No doubt you are fluent in Thai?

If you can speak Thai it makes a huge difference.

Edited by yaagjon

21 hours ago, onemorechang said:

What a fantastic, exciting'  thread .   :coffee1::coffee1::coffee1:

is that paint dry yet, :thumbsup:

I agree I must have been drunk!

And now it's  it's over to onemorechang to start a simply exciting and exhilarating thread, over to you changy.

21 hours ago, yaagjon said:

No doubt you are fluent in Thai?

If you can speak Thai it makes a huge difference.

No I'm not but I'm quite communicative in the  "body language" department Ha ha  as are most sensible people of the world!

It helps though being with the  Boss and a couple of other French  Farangs who with their minimal English and my minimal french manage to confuse the poor thai people continuously

6 hours ago, n210mp said:

I agree I must have been drunk!

And now it's  it's over to onemorechang to start a simply exciting and exhilarating thread, over to you changy.

Maybe you should have had a good beer,   it may have stopped you

writing this  :coffee1:

The reason for this thread is because I am also passing a bit of time waiting ,sat here in my OAP lycra cycle suit for the rain to stop.

Would you like a thread about, say,    fools riding bicycles  two or thee or four abreast

down  the road whilst having a chat among themselves.   being a dam right danger to other road users ,    would that be a good thread. ?  :wai2:

Edited by onemorechang

5 hours ago, onemorechang said:

Maybe you should have had a good beer,   it may have stopped you

writing this  :coffee1:

Would you like a thread about, say,    fools riding bicycles  two or thee or four abreast

down  the road whilst having a chat among themselves.   being a dam right danger to other road users ,    would that be a good thread. ?  :wai2:

You my dear Onetoomanychangs,

AKA Onemorechang are not even in the same school as me for "winding "people up, you are a  but "hoppin youth when it come to being a little flamer but nevertheless you should be compensated for your feeble attempts as an encouragement to "do Better next time "

Ha ha ha.

N210MP Pretending to swallow the bait writes;

"What the flippin heck are you rambling on about again OMC" self  Edited after TVF deleted my apparent  3 letter profanity 

What has selfish cyclists riding 2 or 3 abreast got to do with me or this thread or have YOU simply got  an axe to grind?

I think maybe  you are a  secret  and wannabe closet cyclist, a little bitter and twisted to boot, have you got  a secret desire  or carnal  ambitions concerning  2/3 lycra clad  men riding 2/3 abreast and blocking your most intimate desires on the public highway?

I would  like you   to start a thread that is about something that you  are maybe a little obsessive about, say  golf,  tennis ,bar stool  Barracks lawyer, couch potato,, Grumpy old men the list is endless .

OK .maybe I'm  asking too much of you,   maybe  you could post something you are mildly, interested in, I sure there must be something in your not too distant past worthy of a good read by the lads and lasses on here?

Or is it simply that you are bored and get your highs from  making little flames on us poor posters?

If it is, no problem, whatever turns you on is OK by me changy.

You keep firing your little flame gun and i will do my best to accommodate your "Obsession" 

All written in the best possible taste with no  malice attached herein  or appended !

And even the forum rules have been moderately  kept too as well

Edited by n210mp

27 minutes ago, n210mp said:

You my dear Onetoomanychangs,

AKA Onemorechang are not even in the same school as me for "winding "people up, you are a  but "hoppin youth when it come to being a little flamer but nevertheless you should be compensated for your feeble attempts as an encouragement to "do Better next time "

Ha ha ha.

N210MP Pretending to swallow the bait writes;

"What the flippin heck are you rambling on about again OMC" self  Edited after TVF deleted my apparent  3 letter profanity 

What has selfish cyclists riding 2 or 3 abreast got to do with me or this thread or have YOU simply got  an axe to grind?

I think maybe  you are a  secret  and wannabe closet cyclist, a little bitter and twisted to boot, have you got  a secret desire  or carnal  ambitions concerning  2/3 lycra clad  men riding 2/3 abreast and blocking your most intimate desires on the public highway?

I would  like you   to start a thread that is about something that you  are maybe a little obsessive about, say  golf,  tennis ,bar stool  Barracks lawyer, couch potato,, Grumpy old men the list is endless .

OK .maybe I'm  asking too much of you,   maybe  you could post something you are mildly, interested in, I sure there must be something in your not too distant past worthy of a good read by the lads and lasses on here?

Or is it simply that you are bored and get your highs from  making little flames on us poor posters?

If it is, no problem, whatever turns you on is OK by me changy.

You keep firing your little flame gun and i will do my best to accommodate your "Obsession" 

All written in the best possible taste with no  malice attached herein  or appended !

And even the forum rules have been moderately  kept too as well

I was being serious about,    the resent rise of selfish cyclist in and around pattaya as a new thread.  it was not an attack on you about your possible behavior on the roads.

But reading the above,    will give it a miss.  :coffee1:

the rain is fun n210, especially if it scares the locals away from using the road - yeah! if only!!

Me lubb the rain laarng time - because I ride a trike,

and unlike a Bike, I can't slip over on the wet roads.

In fact in the heaviest rain it's great even not being able to see the road surface - just the road posts are all that's needed

The best example,  was when with sooo much downpour, the household cesspits, from each house along the road, were overflowing...

My booty sits just 16cm above the ground, having such a low-rider trike, that when I got home, the accompanying stench was matched by the brown stains in the britches, because I was soaking in it.

Pants are easy to clean...

Only real downside was having to strip the trike down, to drain it all out of the frame tubing :(

silly falang still no understand why wifey never want me to upgrade to a tandem, for her to share in my fun  

Edited by tifino

10 hours ago, onemorechang said:

I was being serious about,    the resent rise of selfish cyclist in and around pattaya as a new thread.  it was not an attack on you about your possible behavior on the roads.

But reading the above,    will give it a miss.  :coffee1:

I awaited your 2 liner with bated breath, was disappointed as usual  but  I accept your complete surrender in what I thought might have escalated into a little good natured  Rapatee.

I will answer your "Tunnel vision" coment in mitigation for most of those   those "cyclists"  who you so ignorantly brush off  in your castigation by being the "devil's advocate for just a small paragraph opr two;

Did it ever occur to you and the other moaners and complainers that maybe, just maybe in some circumstances the crowding of the lane they are on is for their own protection against the majority of selfish drivers  who, cut in, drive at, or simply do not see them at all?

Have you never heard of the phrase "Safety in numbers"?

You like many on here fall into the trap of assuming that the road is yours, bought and paid for by the measly sum you may pay in road tax or by the fact like most Thai /redneck drivers, have the bigger dick (vehicle).

It's time to do some lateral thinking OneMoreChange and accept that you and the other moaners on here  are not the centre of the universe but just a small  blott who may need to open their eyes to the possibility that there is more to life than sitting on a couch with your keyboard and pointing a perverse finger on the way that people get on with their lives , especially cyclists.

Edited by n210mp

A baiting 'Yawn' post has been removed, that's enough bickering and baiting thanks, lets get back to all the positive things of riding ones bicycle in the morning before all the traffic arrives :)

Don't think i need the quote function,    as there is no one else here.

I would like to thank you for the catalog of insults.   its ok i can handle that.

but i do predict  more tumble weed going past this thread.

I would like to comment on some the views you have about me and other posters.

but im not going to make this thread exciting in anyway,    it needs to just fall

off the page,    as it will soon.

Now if you would like to start a thread about cyclists in and around pattaya i will

be more than happy to come and comment on it.

Here is the a suggested tittle   ( cyclists the good and the bad in pattaya )

maybe you can tell us about your good and bad experiences   with drivers around

town.  i think it would qualify,   as an exciting and exhilarating thread,

and may well open your eyes,  as  to how people behave on the roads.

Can you tell me where i can buy a few pairs of these around town

as i think you must have a large stock of them.

almost-rose-tinted.jpg

Edited by onemorechang

I shall take the venerable "Rimmers" hint and forthwith end my little rapatee with you OMC but I need to have a last say and this is simply;

There are doers  and then  there are the "dont doers, couch potatoes" , those who darnt for one reason or another avail themselves of just what there is available in life, which is in IMHO all about taking sensible risks to pursue an interest etc  .

I prefer to live life to the full and that for me means assessing the situation and then looking on the bright side and having a go!

Further, I love my lifestyle in and around Pattaya, especially the early morning bike trips with my mate Rob, we dont hog the road, we dont interfere with anyone else at all but have  made some a great relationships, after over five years with countless other Thai and Farang bikers, food sellers etc.

Of course in your opinion we are all a bunch of selfish road hoggers, deliberately making your journey at least 20 seconds longer when you have to overtake us. (such myopic self centeredness ie Tunnel vision comes to mind)

As far as your comment about me insulting you, you must have a very thin skin, you also have   an ability to give the Shizer but like many on here  are unable to take any in return .

This is my last post with you in mind and if you dont like what I have to say then hit the ignore button and stop making negative comment (which started all this in the first place) Remember your negative  one liner?

In other words Dont give it out unless you can take it back  

10 minutes ago, SheungWan said:

Re: The reason for this thread is because I am also passing a bit of time waiting ,sat here in my OAP lycra cycle suit for the rain to stop.

OAP's in lycra is just one of the truly wonderful sights one can see in Pattaya.

Yes, I know what you mean SheungWan , I feel the same way when I look in the mirror. (Who is that old  decrepit bastard looking back at me?)

Having said that though, you , me and the majority I suppose  have been brainwashed, coming from Europe or the West.

We from the West could learn a lot about having some respect for the older generation  from the Thai people   (Yes me too)

You see young man ( I hope you are  a young man, well,at least a lot younger than me) 

Its really a privilege to get older, it's amazing how many dont!

Now I'm  not into  trying to make  myself a young man again , simply, it's all about maintaining a healthy lifestyle that will help with some other sensible habits  with the unavoidable  degeneration of my body.

So I walk up 18 holes of golf pulling my own golf cart once a week , I ride around 150 Ks of cycle trips (3 times a week) and occasionally walk the 6k or so across the Dam road at mabrachan, not bad for an old fart eh?

So when you see  an old codger like me dressed up in Lycra just remember that he is making the best out of his situation and attempting to get a bit older with health,  zest and a love of life that stimulates him into getting off his ares and doing something positive

A post has been removed:

7) You will respect fellow members and post in a civil manner. No personal attacks, hateful or insulting towards other members, (flaming) Stalking of members on either the forum or via PM will not be allowed.