Hundreds of homes and vehicles damaged as Lopburi suffers flash floods

webfact

Hundreds of homes and vehicles damaged as Lopburi suffers flash floods

a4.jpg

Image: Sanook

LOPBURI: -- Run off from the hills inundated three sub-districts in the Lopburi area early on Monday morning damaging hundreds of houses, schools and temples and washing away cars and pick ups.

Heavy rain hit the area in the early hours of the morning - affected were Nikhom Sang Ton Eng, Khok Toom and Tha Sala sub-districts of the central Thai province, reported Sanook.

A bridge collapsed, there were lengthy power outages and five vehicles were washed 100 metres away with two ending up in the forest areas wedged between trees.

Chomchart Patanachu, 27, and Nopparat Huangthai, 29, had parked their Vios and pick-ups respectively outside their homes. 

They said that heavy rain began at 3am which were followed by run-off from the hills that carried their vehicles 100 metres away.

Locals said that such flooding occurs about once every ten years but this was the worst in memory. Two schools, five temples and a hospital  along with hundreds of houses were inundated with flood water.

Lopburi governor Panu Yaemsri visited the area to help coordinate recovery efforts but many roads remained impassable yesterday.

Source: Sanook

tvn_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2016-08-30

1 hour ago, CelticBhoy said:

That is why I will never leave the car in neutral with the hand-brake off.

No matter how much it helps the 'yam' push the car about to ease parking,

mother nature has a much stronger agenda when she gets to work.

I take it that is not inside a shopping center but on a parking field or something like that ?

I doubt your hand brake will do much when there is a serious flash flood.

1 hour ago, CelticBhoy said:

That is why I will never leave the car in neutral with the hand-brake off.

No matter how much it helps the 'yam' push the car about to ease parking,

mother nature has a much stronger agenda when she gets to work.

Mother nature is usually much more gentle when it comes to vast torrents of water poring through the underground parking lot where vehicles double park for convenience.

I am sure the vehicle owners in this story had conscientiously locked their cars, handbrake on and yet their vehicles ended up in the forest. Leaving your car in neutral with handbrake off anywhere else BUT an underground lot is downright foolish.

2 hours ago, robblok said:

I take it that is not inside a shopping center but on a parking field or something like that ?

I doubt your hand brake will do much when there is a serious flash flood.

floods can take houses down. what is a small vehicle like a car in the force of the the floods.