7 months overstay & lost passport

Hi , I and my family (my wife and two kids 2 years old and one year old ) got our passport missing for over 4 months now .we are having overstay of about 6 to 7 months .We want to go back to our country Ghana.Is the overstay payment at the airport still applicable ? With a travel certificate from my embassy here in Bangkok .scared to go forward to request for overstay payment looking at the new immigration laws passed recently .Can anyone help me with this info? Thanks 

Luckily you have an embassy here, most African nations don't of course which causes added problems getting anything done.

what ubon joe should have said, instead of saying "you and your wife will be banned from Thailand for a year" is that "you and your wife 'might' be banned for up to a year' -'there is nothing certain as to a ban or how long it is going to be as it all depends on the immigration officer dealing with the case at the airport at the time of your departure.

best of luck to you and your family,

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, Falcon said:

Luckily you have an embassy here, most African nations don't of course which causes added problems getting anything done.

what ubon joe should have said, instead of saying "you and your wife will be banned from Thailand for a year" is that "you and your wife 'might' be banned for up to a year' -'there is nothing certain as to a ban or how long it is going to be as it all depends on the immigration officer dealing with the case at the airport at the time of your departure.

best of luck to you and your family,

I was quoting the overstay rules that started in March of this year. It is possible they may wave the ban but there is no certainty that they would.

See: New overstay rules.pdf

23 minutes ago, Agkarajit said:

On blacklisting of overstays,  currently,  those who got caught and/or deported were or will be blacklisted.

Even without being caught with a overstay that is more than 90 days a ban of one year is possible.

Getting caught with any number of days less than a year can result in a ban of 5 years more than a year it is 10 years. But the ban will be determined by a judge when the person makes an appearance in court.

• Like 1

Please correct me if i am wrong, but my understanding on these kind of circumstances, was that once you show up to report your lost passport at the BiB, they would obviously do some cross checks and once the overstay would inevitably come up, an arrest will automatically take place?

Maybe something changed since i last check?

Not really following much these topics but might always be worth to knows....

3 minutes ago, Mangostin said:

Please correct me if i am wrong, but my understanding on these kind of circumstances, was that once you show up to report your lost passport at the BiB, they would obviously do some cross checks and once the overstay would inevitably come up, an arrest will automatically take place?

Maybe something changed since i last check?

Not really following much these topics but might always be worth to knows....

The police will only be interested in doing the report. They will not check to see if a person is on an overstay.

21 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

The police will only be interested in doing the report. They will not check to see if a person is on an overstay.

That's rather strange, i mean, i haven't been stopped much, but i remember the BiB going to look at my stamps while checking my passport, and they were not from the immigration, just traffic police or local coppers, even the receptionist of some condos go through the stamps these days when you want to stay even for a night, one day in Bangkok i had to argue with one of these ladies because she thought(wrongly) i was on overstay, honestly!..... :D

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Mangostin said:

That's rather strange, i mean, i haven't been stopped much, but i remember the BiB going to look at my stamps while checking my passport, and they were not from the immigration, just traffic police or local coppers, even the receptionist of some condos go through the stamps these days when you want to stay even for a night, one day in Bangkok i had to argue with one of these ladies because she thought(wrongly) i was on overstay, honestly!..... :D

There would be no passport to look through.

They are not going to bother with contacting immigration to find out if a person is on an overstay. Most people are not on an overstay when they loose their passport.

I think they probably have already done the police report since that would normally be a requirement to get the emergency travel certificate.

7 hours ago, gandalf12 said:

I assume, unlike most embassies if not all, their embassy could not issue an emergency travel document. Is my assumption correct?

You should read the OP carefully and read this. " With a travel certificate from my embassy here in Bangkok"

His specific question was about leaving from an airport and paying the overstay fine  instead of going to immigration to pay the fine.

20 hours ago, ubonjoe said:

haranguing

5 hours ago, xvend said:

Just expanded my vocabulary :) 

I use that word because it fits what happens on to many topics. A person does a post asking for help and gets lectured on what they did wrong instead of getting their question answered.

Edit: It seems you need a definition of the word harangue.

noun
a scolding or a long or intense verbal attack; diatribe.
a long, passionate, and vehement speech, especially one deliveredbefore a public gathering.
any long, pompous speech or writing of a tediously hortatory ordidactic nature; sermonizing lecture or discourse.
verb (used with object), harangued, haranguing.
to address in a harangue.
verb (used without object), harangued, haranguing.
to deliver a harangue.

Source: http://www.dictionary.com/browse/harangue

Edited by ubonjoe
  • Like 2