Condominium Leasing restrictions

Inquired at office of Condominium about condos for lease & told "Farang cannot lease".

Asked why & just got usual shrug of shoulders...

Is that legal to say that? Is there some law that limits leasing of Condos by farangs?

Edited by eggers

33 minutes ago, trogers said:

Where is that condo? Bangkok or province?

Sounds like the same treatment Thais get trying to get into an a-go-go bar.

34 minutes ago, trogers said:

Where is that condo? Bangkok or province?

Sounds like the same treatment Thais get trying to get into an a-go-go bar.

Bangkok, Onnut area

5 hours ago, wpcoe said:

Do you and the condo office have the same definition of "lease"?  i.e. Would you get a different response if you asked them about condos for "rent"?

Sorry, did use term "Condo for rent" but reaction was same....just think Manager had a thing about 'farangs".

Doubt there is any discrimination laws here & management does as wishes.

31 minutes ago, Junkyarddog said:

You cannot rent or lease short time as a hotel. I forget the exact time constraints. 

For long term rentals leases your good to go. 

Yes,  perhaps that is the prob... As said wanting to rent, thinking for long term (12 mths), though wouldn't seem to matter, if Thai or Farang cannot do holiday lets as you say. 

1 hour ago, Junkyarddog said:

You cannot rent or lease short time as a hotel. I forget the exact time constraints. 

For long term rentals leases your good to go. 

A very welcome and sensible law to protect condo owners and hotels at the same time. Thailand is far in advance with this one compared to the west 

4 minutes ago, mcfish said:

A very welcome and sensible law to protect condo owners and hotels at the same time. Thailand is far in advance with this one compared to the west 

Such a shame that the law is so widely ignored here.

3 hours ago, eggers said:

Sorry, did use term "Condo for rent" but reaction was same....just think Manager had a thing about 'farangs".

Why did you ask the manager about this? Technically rentals are none of his business and are a private arrangement between owners and tenants. Agents may also be involved but a building manager is not a rental agent. Well, he shouldn't be one anyway though the building you are talking about may be particularly lax and badly managed.

19 minutes ago, KittenKong said:

Why did you ask the manager about this? Technically rentals are none of his business and are a private arrangement between owners and tenants. Agents may also be involved but a building manager is not a rental agent. Well, he shouldn't be one anyway though the building you are talking about may be particularly lax and badly managed.

The condo is one of several by developer who has a sales office that handle sales & leasing. It was the manager of this office, not actual building manager of condo, thatI spoke with. 

2 hours ago, mcfish said:

Min 1 month its the law

Sent from my zumo using Tapatalk

It depends which condo. The one I live in has a fairly constant influx of people renting for 1 - 2 weeks. The law is fairly elastic in Thailand.

2 minutes ago, bazza40 said:

It depends which condo. The one I live in has a fairly constant influx of people renting for 1 - 2 weeks. The law is fairly elastic in Thailand.

ummm nup. The law is not elastic however certain condo owners are..big difference

Same as any crime from stealing to murder , it happens regardless of the law and will never be stopped and its not unique to any country

Its really up to condo owners to speak up and meet with juristic and offer proof and threaten to sue juristic if they dont stop illegal rentals . Thats what we did and it took years but we got there in the end.

1 minute ago, mcfish said:

ummm nup. The law is not elastic however certain condo owners are..big difference

Same as any crime from stealing to murder , it happens regardless of the law and will never be stopped and its not unique to any country

Its really up to condo owners to speak up and meet with juristic and offer proof and threaten to sue juristic if they dont stop illegal rentals . Thats what we did and it took years but we got there in the end.

As the banks seem to own a large proportion of the apartments in my condo, it would appear the majority rules.

Fortunately, my condo was originally built to be a hospital, so the walls are very thick. However, I can understand it would be annoying if you had to put up with short-termers coming in drunk every night.

2 hours ago, eggers said:

The condo is one of several by developer who has a sales office that handle sales & leasing. It was the manager of this office, not actual building manager of condo, thatI spoke with. 

Fair enough. Bearing that in mind I think you can just assume that the manager is weird or racist or stupid. Either way, best look elsewhere.

I suspect this is either a 'lost in translation' thing or an over-reaction to the non-thai registration thing.

I was in Bangkok a month or so ago to move  a new tenant into one of my condo's and this sign was prominent at all the entrances

Not A Hotel.jpg

why are you asking the manager of the codos leasing dept? obviously the condo leasing dept owns their own condos and doesnt want you to rent out your room as it is in competition with the condos own rooms.

Simply ignore what they said and rent your room out privately - has nothing to do with them at all...

1 hour ago, djlest said:

why are you asking the manager of the codos leasing dept? obviously the condo leasing dept owns their own condos and doesnt want you to rent out your room as it is in competition with the condos own rooms.

Simply ignore what they said and rent your room out privately - has nothing to do with them at all...

Think you've misinterpreted what I meant. I was inquiring about leasing a condo as a lessor, not to lease a condo owned by me (which I don't).

1 hour ago, djlest said:

The condo is one of several by developer who has a sales office that handle sales & leasing. It was the manager of this office, not actual building manager of condo, that I spoke with.Though as others have said, likely this person has some personal issue & best look elsewhere. I know for a fact the condo was inquiring about has high vacancy rate & probably this manager contributes to this by her attitude.. 

2 hours ago, GinBoy2 said:

I suspect this is either a 'lost in translation' thing or an over-reaction to the non-thai registration thing.

I was in Bangkok a month or so ago to move  a new tenant into one of my condo's and this sign was prominent at all the entrances

Not A Hotel.jpg

Excellent! Should be applied in every condo building here.

36 minutes ago, mcfish said:

20160901_101950.jpegIMG_20160901_105410.jpg

Sent from my SC-01D using Tapatalk

Its not unusual to see these types of notices in many condos with a switched on juristic

I would avoid buying a unit in any condo project, as investment, that display such a sign. It shows the high vacancy rate and desperate owners.

I would avoid buying a unit in any condo project, as investment, that display such a sign. It shows the high vacancy rate and desperate owners.

So if a condo doesn't have a sign then it's full.. Of Illegals = crap juristic department.. And you would buy there? It's true what they say, a sucker born every minute !!!

12 minutes ago, mcfish said:

So if a condo doesn't have a sign then it's full.. Of Illegals = crap juristic department.. And you would buy there? It's true what they say, a sucker born every minute !!!

There are other criteria to evaluate. But seeing such a sign helps to strike the project off my list right from the beginning.

1 hour ago, trogers said:

No, it shows that owner-occupiers are fed up with sharing their home with bizarre short-term tenants.

If you or any other investor avoids buying into such a building as a result then it can only be a good thing. Short-term tenants and their landlords add nothing of value to any building: they only take. As such they should be banned (as indeed they are, by law) and I am delighted to see that some buildings are taking it seriously.

As an update, went back to office today & spoke with senior manager who explained that person I initially dealt with couldn't clearly explain situation.

- The developers office now only deals with sales & manager was trying to state that "only Thais could buy" as reached % limit of Farang ownership.

- For leasing inquiries, check with Juristic Office at Condo.

So that seems to have clarified the situation.

Thanks for all you comments.