Smoking on Baht Buses.

sharecropper

I usually experience this filthy habit on baht buses a couple of times a year - usually High Season drunk Russians, but in the past 6 weeks I've had it five times with young Arab kids and drunk Indians. I always get annoyed about it and make it very clear I'm unhappy, which leads to flash points, but I wonder how others deal with it?

I've been told it is illegal to smoke on a baht bus (by a Thai) but I'm not sure they're right.

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm a smoker but never do so on a baht bus. Most Thai people, especially women, do not like to inhale someone's cigarette smoke. Can't blame them and smokers should never inflict it on non-smokers, especially on public transit or in stores and eating places. 

Arabs atm and since they tend to hang out in groups of 3 or more the smoking does get annoying but what does it matter when your sucking up lungfuls of diesel exhaust from the Chinese tours buses surrounding you?

53 minutes ago, mcfish said:

what does it matter when your sucking up lungfuls of diesel exhaust from the Chinese tours buses surrounding you

Exactly !

2 hours ago, sharecropper said:

but I wonder how others deal with it?

My wife  holds her nose and starts flapping her other arm around  to shoo away the smoke while coughing loudly... it  works sometimes.

Edited by johng
formatting again

from OP:

... but I wonder how others deal with it?

I get off and catch the next bus.  In the beginning I would explain to the driver and refuse to pay, but after a few touchy incidents now pay the driver and say nothing.  The stress is just not worth B10.

9 minutes ago, johng said:

Exactly !

My wife  holds her nose and starts flapping her other arm around  to shoo away the smoke while coughing loudly... it  works sometimes.

Does she know whether it's legal in Thai law for them to smoke?

3 minutes ago, sharecropper said:

Does she know whether it's legal

She isn't a lawyer so I don't think she'll know if it legal or not   :lol:

Though I thought they had banned smoking ( and drinking alcohol ) on all public transport.

It happens fairly often. Sometimes the smokers are "polite" enough to do it while standing at the back. But if you're in a crowded bus sitting next to them, same difference. I've seen different nationalities do this. (OK, not usually North Americans but there aren't so many of us here.) The last time were some stereotypical French looking backpacker young men. I've never said anything. It wouldn't help. If they're doing it, they don't care and some of them are drunk. I have given some dirty looks. Occasionally that helps. 

Racking my brain here ... I don't think that THAIS smoke very often on baht buses. Is that other people's experience as well? If so, good for the THAIS on that one. 

Edited by Jingthing

14 minutes ago, Jingthing said:

It happens fairly often. Sometimes the smokers are "polite" enough to do it while standing at the back. But if you're in a crowded bus sitting next to them, same difference. I've seen different nationalities do this. (OK, not usually North Americans but there aren't so many of us here.) The last time were some stereotypical French looking backpacker young men. I've never said anything. It wouldn't help. If they're doing it, they don't care and some of them are drunk. I have given some dirty looks. Occasionally that helps. 

Racking my brain here ... I don't think that THAIS smoke very often on baht buses. Is that other people's experience as well? If so, good for the THAIS on that one. 

I've only ever seen catastrophically drunk Thais smoke on baht buses, usually early in the day on their way back from a massive session on Jomtien beach. Your average Thai - never.

OK, so in conclusion, it IS almost certainly illegal to smoke on a baht bus, as it's public transport, although - as usual here - how far you want to take it depends on mood, wisdom and fury-swallowing, as you can get off and get on another one with only a 10 baht loss. 

I wish I was so logical when it happens though.

It is illegal to smoke or drink alcohol on a baht bus. 

It has only happend to me a few times that someone has been smoking. They have all stopped when I have pointed this out to them.

The 2 occasions that some one got on sucking on a bottle of Chang, I have told them they are at risk of being pulled over by the police and they furtively stopped drinking and just kept the bottle at their side.

My method of telling them is straight to the point, look them straight in the eye and wait for it to sink in. Works every time.

Btw Baht busses are supposed to only carry a max of 11 passengers. 5 on each side in the back and one inside the cab. It is written in Thai script on the side....0 standing passngers. But..................

10 minutes ago, bkk6060 said:

I hate smoke but what a stupid complaint people smoke any where and everywhere here.  Just try walking next time if it bother s you.

You're wrong about this. Walking outdoors you can walk away from the smokers. Sitting on a baht bus, especially a crowded one, you're stuck with the smoke in your face and sometimes even burning embers on your clothes. 

Cheers.

On 8/31/2016 at 4:17 AM, mcfish said:

Arabs atm and since they tend to hang out in groups of 3 or more the smoking does get annoying but what does it matter when your sucking up lungfuls of diesel exhaust from the Chinese tours buses surrounding you?

Health conscious people should not book a holiday in Pattaya. The exhaust fumes produced by motor vehicles alone must be the equivalent of smoking 2 packs of cigarettes daily.

I therefore recommend holidays in the Swiss alps. Only drawback: Far less exiting than Pattaya. You can't have it all...........

Cheers.

4 hours ago, bkk6060 said:

9 minutes ago, swissie said:

Health conscious people should not book a holiday in Pattaya. The exhaust fumes produced by motor vehicles alone must be the equivalent of smoking 2 packs of cigarettes daily.

I therefore recommend holidays in the Swiss alps. Only drawback: Far less exiting than Pattaya. You can't have it all...........

Cheers.

Unable to edit out quotes. Sorry.

It's not as bad as Chiang Mai in the smoky season!

On 31/08/2016 at 4:21 AM, onemorechang said:

Don't see the big deal,  its out doors. :wai2:

As a person who does find it objectionable particularly when they sit up by the cab and it blows in ones face, wounder what they would think should I be sitting up wind of them and broke wind after a very hot vindaloo. 

3 hours ago, Basil B said:

As a person who does find it objectionable particularly when they sit up by the cab and it blows in ones face, wounder what they would think should I be sitting up wind of them and broke wind after a very hot vindaloo. 

Go for it,   make the trouser trumpet as loud as

you can,   if that's what your into.

9 hours ago, lonewolf99 said:

It is illegal to smoke or drink alcohol on a baht bus. 

It has only happend to me a few times that someone has been smoking. They have all stopped when I have pointed this out to them.

The 2 occasions that some one got on sucking on a bottle of Chang, I have told them they are at risk of being pulled over by the police and they furtively stopped drinking and just kept the bottle at their side.

My method of telling them is straight to the point, look them straight in the eye and wait for it to sink in. Works every time.

Btw Baht busses are supposed to only carry a max of 11 passengers. 5 on each side in the back and one inside the cab. It is written in Thai script on the side....0 standing passngers. But..................

You tried  all that on the locals.  if not give it a go

and report back :cheesy:

In-line with the level of quality tourists & residents,  smokers here feel entitled to poison everybody around them. Their arguments to try to justify this nasty, disgusting habit and their right to light up anywhere and disrespect laws are ridiculous. There is really no point talking to anybody who feels he has to smoke  when in close vicinity or non-smokers. Best get up and leave, as far away from these smelly, disrespectful people. They will have a wake-up call when they get diagnosed with lung cancer. Trust me. Gone through it, due to second-hand smoke. Horrific, life-changing experience!! IMO smokers are plain dumb, with all the information that is out there.  MS>

2 hours ago, moonseeker said:

In-line with the level of quality tourists & residents,  smokers here feel entitled to poison everybody around them. Their arguments to try to justify this nasty, disgusting habit and their right to light up anywhere and disrespect laws are ridiculous. There is really no point talking to anybody who feels he has to smoke  when in close vicinity or non-smokers. Best get up and leave, as far away from these smelly, disrespectful people. They will have a wake-up call when they get diagnosed with lung cancer. Trust me. Gone through it, due to second-hand smoke. Horrific, life-changing experience!! IMO smokers are plain dumb, with all the information that is out there.  MS>

You should be more worried about crossing the

road,     getting to the baht bus,    than death by second hand smoke. :wai2:

Edited by onemorechang

On 31/08/2016 at 4:16 AM, wpcoe said:

I get off and catch the next bus.  In the beginning I would explain to the driver and refuse to pay, but after a few touchy incidents now pay the driver and say nothing.  The stress is just not worth B10.

I remember a drunken Scandinavian getting a lump of wood over his head for knocking a BB driver for 10 baht. You were lucky!

24 minutes ago, onemorechang said:

You should be more worried about crossing the

road,     getting to the baht bus,    than death buy second hand smoke. :wai2:

You can certainly tell who the smokers are.... Its as if they truly believe that suggesting something else somehow dilutes the fact that smoking in public where it effects those who've chosen not to smoke is truly Antisocial. 

Of course, there are other issues which require attention and many more serious, however, these activities are usually a necessity, crossing the road is a necessity and a choice, breathing in something else's second hand smoke on a baht bus or anywhere else is not a choice, it can be easily avoided if those who smoke were to have any consideration for others. 

As this thread has shown, there are many who smoke who do have consideration for others, it is the few who give smokers a poor social image such as... 

On August 31, 2016 at 10:21 AM, onemorechang said:

Don't see the big deal,  its out doors. :wai2:

Unfortunately, many others do see the big deal....  

Edited by richard_smith237