Thai licence for regular holidays in Thailand.

I regularly go to Thailand for holidays.  Many times I hire a scooter.  I am experienced in riding in SEA. I would now like to get my Thai driving / riding license, just to be completely legit on the roads in Thailand.  I have read a lot of information about it, and most of it shouldn't be a problem, but how does someone regularly holidaying in Thailand get the certificate of residence to then go and get a license?  From what I have read, you can get a Thai license on a 30 day visa exempt stamp, so that's short stay people, like me.  I stay in hotels in different parts of Thailand, when i visit.

Any information would be appreciated. 

Just now, KhunHeineken said:

Licensed to drive and ride in Australia.

Since you already have an Australian motorbike license you are already fully legal in Thailand. If you want to avoid possible fines as well, get an IDP from Australia.

13 minutes ago, stevenl said:

Since you already have an Australian motorbike license you are already fully legal in Thailand. If you want to avoid possible fines as well, get an IDP from Australia.

That's my understanding as well and I also have the international permit. I was thinking more about insurance and it would be handy to carry as ID.

Edited by KhunHeineken

2 minutes ago, transam said:

As stated above, your home country stuff is OK for I think 3 months, BUT, you must ask at rental shops if you are insured with a foreign license....

License really does not matter for insurance. None of the rental shops will have the motorbike covered on any kind of insurance. The only insurance where it will matter is travel insurance, and the most common requirements there are either IDP or valid home license.

22 hours ago, KhunHeineken said:

So I should get a 60 day tourist visa even though I am staying only 2 weeks and I have to do this every year to renew?

If is no bother 60 day visa will make it easier to get a Thai DL and your first licence is a temporary 2 year DL on renewal have 60 day again when you come and you should get a 5 year DL if not another 2 year one.

Just make sure you have travel insurance to cover your activities :D and an Oz IDP to get your Thai DL's.

As for proof of address maybe someone else can help with that,  my circumstances were different to yours. 

Anyway no worries.

18 minutes ago, transam said:

He can only get a five year with an 'O' visa or extension of...As for residence, if he is using hotels then that could be a problem, think they must supply paperwork to take to immigration to get a confirmation letter. Immigration will have already been informed by the hotel he is residing there, well that's what the are meant to do...:whistling:

A 60 day is a non immigrant visa from what l remember dunno for sure all l know from reading here on TV that people coming on holiday usually in Pattaya area again from what l remember get Thai DL's.

4 minutes ago, transam said:

As I recall you must have a long stay visa, a one year visa, multi-O or retirement or extension of either..

For 5 year Thai DL maybe but he will get or should be able to get a 2 year DL and then another 2 year DL one at renewal if that's the case.

Still no one has come on about the resident address proof situation.

• 1 month later...
On 01/09/2016 at 3:16 PM, Kwasaki said:

For 5 year Thai DL maybe but he will get or should be able to get a 2 year DL and then another 2 year DL one at renewal if that's the case.

Still no one has come on about the resident address proof situation.

Due to the passing of the King I postponed my trip to Thailand.  I will be back again in November.  I heard that the expats get 5 year licenses to go with their long stay visas.  I have no problem with a 1 year or 2 year license because I am a regular short stay visitor.

I understand my paperwork from Australia is sufficient but if I wanted to go ahead with a Thai license, like you mention, how does someone like me get a certificate of residence.  Like another member said, they should already know where I am staying because the hotel should register my stay in their hotel.

I'm still interested in going through the process so thought I would bump up this thread.

37 minutes ago, KhunHeineken said:

Due to the passing of the King I postponed my trip to Thailand.  I will be back again in November.  I heard that the expats get 5 year licenses to go with their long stay visas.  I have no problem with a 1 year or 2 year license because I am a regular short stay visitor.

I understand my paperwork from Australia is sufficient but if I wanted to go ahead with a Thai license, like you mention, how does someone like me get a certificate of residence.  Like another member said, they should already know where I am staying because the hotel should register my stay in their hotel.

I'm still interested in going through the process so thought I would bump up this thread.

First Thai DL licence use to be 1 year but now has been changed to 2 year,  you only get a 5 year when your first 2 year one runs out. 

Depending on visa status at the time of renewal you might only get another 2 year DL,  that will depend on where you are staying.

My understanding is your full Oz DL will need to be accompanied with a IDP ( international Driving Permit ).

My circumstances were different getting my Thai DL's as l have a house,  staying at a hotel l would guess you get a letter of stay from the nearest Immigration office near to you showing a receipt from the hotel.

Apologies for not being able to be more precise on certificate of proof of address.

Edited by Kwasaki

Yes UK licence is fine for a few weeks. If you want to be all belts and braces then get an "international driving permit" from the AA, I would not bother though.

Yes, correct. No legal requirement for IDP, but it can help with police checks.

• 4 weeks later...
On 25/10/2016 at 5:20 PM, Kwasaki said:

First Thai DL licence use to be 1 year but now has been changed to 2 year,  you only get a 5 year when your first 2 year one runs out. 

Depending on visa status at the time of renewal you might only get another 2 year DL,  that will depend on where you are staying.

My understanding is your full Oz DL will need to be accompanied with a IDP ( international Driving Permit ).

My circumstances were different getting my Thai DL's as l have a house,  staying at a hotel l would guess you get a letter of stay from the nearest Immigration office near to you showing a receipt from the hotel.

Apologies for not being able to be more precise on certificate of proof of address.

The receipt from the hotel will be all I have and they should be able to confirm the stay because the hotel should have registered me.

1 hour ago, KhunHeineken said:

The receipt from the hotel will be all I have and they should be able to confirm the stay because the hotel should have registered me.

As l said sorry l cannot confirm that,   the only thing to do is see if it's OK, if not ask the DLT you go to what do they want.