Router/Modem DNS setting

Suradit69

I've tried using the two 3BB DNS numbers OR the first 3BB number and either 8.8.8.8 or 8.8.4.4 as the secondary number OR ticking the "Obtain DNS server address automatically."

None of those choices seems to be consistently the best (or least worst). In theory, which configuration should be the best choice? 

Thanks

What problems are you having which lead you to believe that the DNS settings are the cause, or solution?

I would use the "Obtain DNS server ...automatically...", and thereby use the 3BB DNS servers - I'm guessing 3BB is your ISP? - , unless you are experiencing some problems.

Edited by mtls2005

18 minutes ago, mtls2005 said:

What problems are you having which lead you to believe that the DNS settings are the cause, or solution?

I would use the "Obtain DNS server ...automatically...", and thereby use the 3BB DNS servers - I'm guessing 3BB is your ISP? - , unless you are experiencing some problems.

Haven't been getting very good download speeds. Had 3BB out to check everything. Bought a new router/modem and tomorrow I'm getting the wiring from the ground floor of the condo up to 15th floor replaced. Just wanted to configure the router the best way, since I'm fairly clueless about such things.

In the past month or so my download speeds have been all over the place, but more often than not, pretty slow. Both the router and the wiring within the condo building were new about 3 years ago. The last time I was having similar problems 3BB said that  up to the building there didn't appear to be a problem and after I had the wiring replaced in the building there was a major improvement which has remained pretty good up until very recently.

So I want to cover all bases before assigning the blame to 3BB and calling their support tech again.

Edited by Suradit69

I don't think a DNS setting would necessarily cause poor or fluctuating download speeds? Typically a DNS problem might manifest itself with your requests for a website timing out.

What download application are you using? What is all over the map, in rough terms? Everything worked fine until a month ago?

You have a new modem/router? Since when? Make/model? You have DSL?

Are you able to look into the new device's UI? Can you check the log, and/or DSL stats?

I agree, DNS delays usually mean Web pages slow to load or not loading at all.

If it's crappy downloads, then you have to consider all sorts of things.

If they guarantee the connection up to the router, and the router is configured properly, then plug in a laptop and run a speed test.

Sometimes when booting or rebooting or changing the modem my speeds start out reasonably good, from 8 to 14 Mbps. Rebooting doesn't always improve things, but even if it does the results begin to drift lower, sometimes settling around 3 Mbps, but often far worse.

With the older router I did sometimes get messages that the website's DNS couldn't be found or other error messages. That included when trying to do a Google search or opening Yahoo and often with Thai Visa. That doesn't seem to happen with the new router, but it can sometimes take forever for a webpage to open and sometimes if it opens it's incomplete.

Just ran download speed check with 3BB's own speedcheck and I've got 0.9 Mbps download and 0.09 for upload. A few minutes later it was 2.09 and 0.14 Mbps.  

... and after rebooting router just now it was 2.6 and 0.14.

I'm hoping after doing the rewiring things will improve. It's been 3 years since the wiring within the building was replaced and it's 15 floors worth, so who knows what could have happened at some point along the line during that time.

Edited by Suradit69