Haggling with new scooter?

banagan

So I was checking out the new Honda Zoomer X's at a dealership and they quoted 57,000, after checking online the new price is actually 55,000, bit cheeky.

Should I give haggling a go? I'm really just looking to pay the correct price.

5 minutes ago, MissAndry said:

They aren't the main distributor in the area.

Buy it from the main dealer and it will be at RRP, buy from someone who buys from the main dealer and it will be RRP+ their profit.

Ah, good point

51 minutes ago, playyer said:

Hi MadMac, 

How does this work, you get the green book and everything right? Have you bought there?

We bought a Scoopy a couple of years back at Union Auction in BKK. They provided all the paperwork you need, you simply go to the DLT and they will do the transfer.

The bike was 6 months old with 3000km on the clock and we paid little bit more than half the new price.

Need to pay cash, no financing. Other than that it's an experience for itself, just go there and enjoy the show before touching anything. Would recommend that anyway to understand how things work.

Just now, does said:

I could be wrong but dealers are not really keen to give discounts if you pay cash. They prefer to sell on installents. They are financial services business. That's where the money is.

The technique is to lead them into thinking you will pay in instalments until just before signing up, then say you've changed your mind and will pay cash. Makes it very difficult for them to backtrack on price.

There is no way they will want you to walk with 55k Bhat ready to go in your pocket, a deal will be made (ALWAYS HAGGLE, if you don't ask you don't get, is  a good idea to let them think you going for the drip and agree a price then tell them you have decided to pay in full - they will not want to be seen to back track on price and loose face so use that quirk to your advantage) also ask for an helmet to be thrown in or any other extras (lock etc) gas

20 hours ago, cyberfarang said:

Should I give haggling a go?

Those who dares wins. You won`t know unless you give it a try.

I think you would be wasting your time, over two years ago, I went to my local Honda dealer to buy a new wave as I was pleased

with my last one which I had for seven years. I went in with the full money in my pocket to pay cash. I noticed there wasn't a

basket on it so I asked them to fit one, the sales girl said " that will be 350 Bt" I said "I will buy the bike if you give me the basket free".

She said "no", I said "then I will not buy the bike", then I walked out.

I went to the Honda agent in the next  town about 15 Ks away. I saw a PCX150, paid about 30.000 Bt more and bought it. so the previous sales

girl done me a favour.

I wonder if she was on a commission, or what her boss would say if they found out how she lost the sale. We are talking about a small Honda agent

in the village.

Whenever I ask for the price of something and they give me the answer....I then say...... "and what is the price after discount"?.......they usually laugh and it works about 60% of the time.

It;s hardly haggling anyway pointing out the difference in the price in your case.. I don't think they will risk losing the sale over 2,000 Bt.....then again ...TIT.

22 hours ago, cyberfarang said:

Should I give haggling a go?

Those who dares wins. You won`t know unless you give it a try.

Even when buying a car outside of Thailand, l always haggle.

(yes, l have owned a few new cars!).

>>

The bike was 6 months old with 3000km on the clock and we paid little bit more than half the new price.<<

Good for you ,and maybe you were lucky .There are little savings to be made at Union Auctions ,Hang Dong road currently .Maybe B10,000 off new price on a one year old scooter ,after you pay bid price ,government tax ,and Auction charges .Also risc of buying a lemon as bikes come from repossessions ,and no test ride allowed .Takes 4 weeks for paperwork to come through ,and you reall need to know what your doing .I have bought at Auction but now favor buying privately  .

I haven't been at Union Auction in CNX, only in BKK. They have loads of failed, returned financing and these are almost new bikes, less than a year old. Of course there is also old stuff for cheap, the dealers jump on them, refurbish the crap and sell it for a huge profit. One reason I'd never buy a used bike from a dealer.

We bought the same Scoopy the week before at UA in BKK, later found out it could not start. They looked at it and said it is flood damage, then took it back without any further discussion. No auction would normally do that, bought as seen. We got the same model again the week after, paperwork came through on the spot. So I would give them my thumbs up. But again that was in BKK, not in CNX. I also believe they just took over the place at Hang Dong Rd, it had another name before.

On 31 August 2016 at 4:11 PM, worgeordie said:

Clever bugger,you knew what i meant ,but had to make stupid comment

regards worgeordie

Yeah of course, sorry but you did leave yourself wide open on that one and I was in a playful mood that day. Clever bugger? Definitely not!. ?

I would never buy a secondhand motorbike in Thsiland as too many people stop the odometer so the bike you are buying with just 3k on the clock has normally done much more. The only exception would be if I new the owner personally as a friend and they had bought it from new, but I find bikes are well within my budget new and dont have many friends, hence I have always purchased new.  I didnt get any discount when buying each of the 3 bikes from the honda dealer, although with the last one I got a free alarm which I never use.

• 3 weeks later...

I have purchased and sold five bikes - one new Honda, one new Suzuki, and second hand Yamahas plus another Honda.

I find that by far the best way to go is with a second hand bike.  I check the classifieds here on Thai Visa and another place for Chaing Mai second hand bikes as well.  These can lead to expats leaving the country (as opposed to the recycle types - follow for a while).  Test the bike, of course, and take along a friend (if you can) who is knowledgeable about bikes.  I most recently (the 6th) landed a Yamaha Nouvo SX for 32000 baht - not even 3000kms and perfect in every way.

All this, by the way, not because of bad bikes, but because I wanted to test out various models to keep.  Turned down a PCX125 when they came out because it's under-powered for its gumpy shape.

problem with buying second hand is that many are clocked. i am sure u must have hired some bikes where the speedo mysteriously doesnt work :shock1:

but having said that if u know the seller or trust him then yes a bargain can be had.

incidentally, i have a 10 year old bike for sale, one careful owner, fsh, only 300kms, anyone interested :lol::whistling:

Edited by stament
editing