Government calms down Isaan rubber farmers' rising concern

webfact

Government calms down NE rubber farmers' rising concern

010901-wpcf_728x410.jpg

BANGKOK: -- The government yesterday calmed  down rising concern among rubber farmers in the Northeast that a leading car tyre manufacturer has halted its order for rubber for tyre production citing its substandard quality.

Rubber farmers are concerned following rumors surfacing that two major car tyre manufacturers are refusing to buy rubber from the northeast of Thailand claiming rubber farmers in the Northeast use sulfuric acid in their production process which make the rubber quality substandard.

Following such rumour, the Agriculture and Cooperative Minister has ordered the Rubber Authority of Thailand to look into the matter and educate rubber planters in the region to stop adding sulfuric acid to rubber as it severely degrades its quality.

The minister, Gen Chatchai Sarikalaya, yesterday elaborated on rumors that two major tyre manufacturers are refusing to buy rubber from the northeast of Thailand and will put on hold their plans to construct automobile production facilities valued at more than 2 billion Baht in the northeastern part of the country as well.

Full story: http://englishnews.thaipbs.or.th/government-calms-ne-rubber-farmers-rising-concern/

thaipbs_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Thai PBS 2016-09-01

4 hours ago, petermik said:

The addition of sulfuric acid is not in order to boost the rubber farmers mark-up surely :whistling:

Makes it coagulate quicker. 

If they allowed it to coagulate normally (as they do in the South) - they could produce decent quality natural rubber and wouldn't have to fork out and buy the sulphuric acid.

They have a habit up in the North (East) of carrying out inexplicable practices that defy common sense.

Don't plant rice seed in the drought months - OK, I'll plant rice in the drought months!! Why have they all wilted?

At least they are diversifying into planting other crops now - well they are generally, but not sure about in the North.

4 hours ago, Father Fintan Stack said:

The big one will be when China follows suit and stops buying substandard Thai rubber as they are likely to do shortly. This will result in a total collapse of the rubber industry. 

The economy will be what pushes Thailand into further civil unrest, not these fantasies about a romantic political uprising or a paid movement from the Shin clan.

I guess you answered my question. The Isaan rubber farmers will blame the junta for the supposed collapse of the rubber industry, rather than stop the actions that are causing it.

4 minutes ago, whatproblem said:

I been telling them (whilst standing next to a bin )to put it in the bin but they still drop the rubbish on the floor .good luck trying to teach them 

You miss the point - it saves them from having to empty the bin!!

8 minutes ago, lucky11 said:

You miss the point - it saves them from having to empty the bin!!

I went to my mates house in khon kaen and his FIL emptied the bin on the floor because it was full ,took us 20 minutesto stop laughing

Edited by whatproblem

4 hours ago, Father Fintan Stack said:

The big one will be when China follows suit and stops buying substandard Thai rubber as they are likely to do shortly. This will result in a total collapse of the rubber industry. 

The economy will be what pushes Thailand into further civil unrest, not these fantasies about a romantic political uprising or a paid movement from the Shin clan.

Of course an collapsed economy is the only reason for people to rise. People don't care as much for ideals as long as the economy is not too bad but hurt them in their wallet then they rise. I 100% agree.. that is the only reason I see that people would rise. 

The rubber priced is likely to go up as will oil.

I don't think too many posters here have had anything to do with rubber.

I have launched an investigation into whether the southern farmers use formic acid or not, I believe they would. If the rubber is not coagulated then all latex would be lost of there was any rain. I also hear that the rubber quality is actually higher with the inclusion of formic acid, and that the rubber authority (office or whatever) encourages the use of this.

I will report further, I have enquiries in progress.

I am interested to know as I have 5,000 trees.

4 minutes ago, maoro2013 said:

I have launched an investigation into whether the southern farmers use formic acid or not, I believe they would. If the rubber is not coagulated then all latex would be lost of there was any rain. I also hear that the rubber quality is actually higher with the inclusion of formic acid, and that the rubber authority (office or whatever) encourages the use of this.

You believe they would..  not really evidence

The rubber tire manufacturers probably know better then you about the quality of rubber if you add it.. so again.. i prefer to believe them over you.

19 hours ago, lucky11 said:

Makes it coagulate quicker. 

If they allowed it to coagulate normally (as they do in the South) - they could produce decent quality natural rubber and wouldn't have to fork out and buy the sulphuric acid.

They have a habit up in the North (East) of carrying out inexplicable practices that defy common sense.

Don't plant rice seed in the drought months - OK, I'll plant rice in the drought months!! Why have they all wilted?

At least they are diversifying into planting other crops now - well they are generally, but not sure about in the North.

Corn, pineapples, bananas, sugar cane, flowers, vegetables of all types and many other fruits.  Rice is still a main crop.  There are many other crops but too many to list.  So yes, diversification is alive and well in Isaan. :wai:

20 minutes ago, Si Thea01 said:

Corn, pineapples, bananas, sugar cane, flowers, vegetables of all types and many other fruits.  Rice is still a main crop.  There are many other crops but too many to list.  So yes, diversification is alive and well in Isaan. :wai:

Good to hear - much more sensible than Thaksin's governments stupid rice scheme. I hope that they make a success of it and it provides a reasonable income for them -  one thing it does do is to stop them from being a costly burden to society with their reliance on subsidies. It should also improve their self esteem in how people view them (rightly or wrongly) - I hope going organic plays a major part in this diversification transition.  

1 hour ago, robblok said:

You believe they would..  not really evidence

The rubber tire manufacturers probably know better then you about the quality of rubber if you add it.. so again.. i prefer to believe them over you.

Hang on a minute, you were talking about sulphuric acid not formic

1 hour ago, maoro2013 said:

I've had 31 years working with rubber (researching synthetic rubber) which is not the same animal, granted. I'm sure that there are surfactants available (anionic or cationic) that would do the job of coagulation better without compromising the properties of the rubber.

32 minutes ago, lucky11 said:

Good to hear - much more sensible than Thaksin's governments stupid rice scheme. I hope that they make a success of it and it provides a reasonable income for them -  one thing it does do is to stop them from being a costly burden to society with their reliance on subsidies. It should also improve their self esteem in how people view them (rightly or wrongly) - I hope going organic plays a major part in this diversification transition.  

Yes, you are quite right but you can still get into a robust discussion with some if that is brought up.  But every day, I take my GS for a long walk along the road between the farms and see how well everything is growing, now that we have had heaps and heaps and I mean bloody heaps of rain.  I still don't think that they're all into organic farming but a few are taking on the task.  Education will take some time.

As most of the farms and our village borders the Loei River, and where only 4 k's from town, there is plenty of water and everyone here appear to have planted at the right time.  It is really good to see them working from early in the morning until late in the evening.  They all look very happy and never stop saying hello to the farang and his dog, although they give the latter a wide berth.

The only thing I find concerning, is that the farmers are older men and women, and there are no younger ones, despite knowing that many of the latter, not only in our  in village but in the immediate surrounds, do not work, and according to their elders, do not want to. :wai:

Edited by Si Thea01