Need a VPN

mrmicbkktxl

8 minutes ago, JSixpack said:

No torrenting at that price. Only 1 connection. Not clear how long that price is good for.

No torrenting for that price, but I also don't see any mention of a need for that from the OP. Only 1 connection, which is of course of no issue if you have a router which is configurable for a vpn client.

I was considering PureVpn until just a few days ago, when Sniffdog posted this.

Edited by Anthony5

1 hour ago, JSixpack said:

Try a lifetime subscription to PureVPN for a little more:

https://deals.neowin.net/sales/lifetime-of-purevpn

Server locations:

https://www.purevpn.com/server_location.php

I'll have to take a closer look at that Neowin website, because if you search the site there are several other VPN deals as cheap as $29 for lifetime. Almost too good to be true.

1 hour ago, Anthony5 said:

No torrenting for that price, but I also don't see any mention of a need for that from the OP. Only 1 connection, which is of course of no issue if you have a router which is configurable for a vpn client.

I was considering PureVpn until just a few days ago, when Sniffdog posted this.

Yeah I always carry along my router everywhere. Your router--don't leave home without it!

I don't see any mention on the part of the OP the need to configure a router with a VPN and the bias is on not having such a need since not mentioned in two posts. Torrenting, on the other hand, is extremely common, esp. around here. Support for multiple devices could well be helpful.

One poster's experience, sniffdog's, doesn't amount to much esp when stacked up against Pib's.

35 minutes ago, JSixpack said:

Yeah I always carry along my router everywhere. Your router--don't leave home without it!

I don't see any mention on the part of the OP the need to configure a router with a VPN and the bias is on not having such a need since not mentioned in two posts. Torrenting, on the other hand, is extremely common, esp. around here. Support for multiple devices could well be helpful.

One poster's experience, sniffdog's, doesn't amount to much esp when stacked up against Pib's.

As far as I'm aware PIB's opinion is also from ONE posters experience, but let's look at the experience of a website that is specialized in reviewing VPN's.

Thay have done hundreds VPN's them over the years, and even review them again once in a while.

https://www.bestvpn.com/purevpn-review/

Our PureVPN review suggests that PureVPN has the strategy of throwing up many marketing airballs in the hope of luring in as many people as possible. But the service is frankly substandard service on almost every count.

CONS

Can’t Connect To Servers

Support Refuses To Answer

Encryption Questions

2 hours ago, Anthony5 said:

As far as I'm aware PIB's opinion is also from ONE posters experience, but let's look at the experience of a website that is specialized in reviewing VPN's.

Thay have done hundreds VPN's them over the years, and even review them again once in a while.

https://www.bestvpn.com/purevpn-review/

Our PureVPN review suggests that PureVPN has the strategy of throwing up many marketing airballs in the hope of luring in as many people as possible. But the service is frankly substandard service on almost every count.

CONS

Can’t Connect To Servers

Support Refuses To Answer

Encryption Questions

Read what I said: esp. when stacked up against Pib's. And if you weren't so lazy you'd read some others in the thread such as

On Sunday, June 26, 2016 at 6:02 PM, wpcoe said:

Inspired by Pib, I signed up for PureVPN  . . . So, all initial indications agree with Pib's testing: Using the Singapore VPN gateway greatly boosts throughput from Los Angeles. For whatever reason. smile.png

OP expressed no interest in going thru SIN anyway!

Moreover, it would be typical naivete to rely only on bestvpn.com, that is, ONE review site: "We are a professional review site that receives compensation from some of the companies whose products we review." Some of the comments disagree w/ the review. PCMag, on the other hand, has a much more favorable opinion: http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2403388,00.asp with a lot of favorable comments.

Opinions differ on most services. PureVPN has enough favorable reviews to look reasonable for the discounted price, IMO. As an expert, you may well disagree. :) OP is expected to google around and consider for himself.

Me, I got no horse in the race, you see. You wanna go for one-device no torrenting ibvpn and carry your router around, up 2 u, pal. :)

Guess that's really all I got to say on the subject. Obfuscate away!

209_the-people-who-give-a-shit-are-right-over-there_580-326.png

Edited by JSixpack

The TorrentFreak website did its annual review of VPN services and their privacy policies a few months ago. I read the long article, but I was more interested in the 200+ user comments on the article by VPN customers.

I read thru every comment, overall, two services seemed to get the most positive comments and the fewest negative ones: Torguard and AirVPN. PureVPN received a mix of a few positive and a few negative comments.

https://torrentfreak.com/vpn-anonymous-review-160220/

I've been using PureVPN for about 3 months on my Bangkok based True ADSL.  I use it mostly for watching content on Kodi through my Windows-8 laptop.  I usually connect to servers in the US, it usually seems to be Houston or Chicago.  Though not always great, Kodi seems to run OK off the US servers, better certainly than off Thai.  I have also tried Singapore and S. Korea with mixed results.  There have been a few times when I could not connect to Singapore.

I subscribed for a one year plan ($49) after a one month trial which I paid for.  There is supposed to be a free trial option but I was not able to access it.

• 1 month later...
On 9/1/2016 at 6:54 PM, Anthony5 said:

$1.54 a month,6 hours free trial and 15 day money back guarantee.

https://www.ibvpn.com/plans-vpn-smartdns-proxy/

I've used their California plan before. Reliable service, many options and pretty good customer support.

But in my experience, way too slow for video streaming from the U.S. compared to other available VPN options.

my understanding from having flashed a router to use DDWRT , to attempt installing  StrongVPN on the actual router, is that  the encryption/decryption on the router is always going to slow down  the throughput, possibly with very high end  routers with quadcore CPUs  that might not be so ....... 

re: PIA you could connect BKK-> Singapore, I image and get better throughput, though maybe your needing  to "be in the US"  TGuy?

PIA for better or worse, you share a IP, and some sites, won't allow your IP, and you get hit with Cloudflare    enter the code crap, sometimes,  whereas with StrongVPN,  I believe you get your own IP, hence no cloudflare , but then they do  let you know if someone flags what you are doing  aka  "logs"  whereas PIA   "no logs" , etc etc 

17 hours ago, chubby said:

re: PIA you could connect BKK-> Singapore, I image and get better throughput, though maybe your needing  to "be in the US"  TGuy?

Indeed, when I use a VPN, it's usually for purposes of needing to be elsewhere. So the Singapore connection with PIA, while it might well have been faster than their U.S. servers, would not have suited my purpose.

13 hours ago, hemskasven01 said:

Hide my ass HMA are my VPN since a couple of years. They have servers all over the world. It's a good provider you can trust. Not the cheapest but one of the best, buy on black Friday 50% discount.

I've used HMA in the past, and they were OK in terms of selections of available servers and speed for a Thailand user. I say OK in terms of speed, but not the best I've found.

However, they also appear to have a troubled past with users who engage in file sharing and similar questionable online activities (which is something I DON'T do or use a VPN for).

https://www.reddit.com/r/torrents/comments/1lpey9/just_learned_why_hide_my_ass_is_such_an_awful/

PIA is $40 / year ; PureVPN looks to be about $60 ;  I keep my VPN on at all times,  except for banking ;   as one of my concerns  is   being tracked around the internet,  yes, granted it IS a losing battle,  but I consider it risk mitigation,   I also use Noscript, HTTPS everywhere, Disconnect, and RequestPolicy Continued,  and 3 browsers with google only allowed in the Chrome browser, I also  IMAP  my email ........anyway  I digress 

I have had Expressvpn for several years... it's expensive, the servers are not always as fast as you want them to be, but it has been extremely reliable, excellent support the times I have needed it, and I think their software (Windows/iOS/Android) is close to perfect.

I gave PureVPN a try the last month... it is not for me. Two times they have send me a notice of an overdue invoice - both were wrong which they admitted, but I don't like it. If they don't have control of their billing department, what else is lacking? I also think their software is messy - especially the iOS version - and some of the servers are a bit hit and miss.

Try a few out that offer a free trial, and see what fits you best.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk