Briton accused of stealing Thai tourist's bag from temple

snoop1130

• Replies 189
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

5 hours ago, ClutchClark said:

Not trying to be a wiseguy but what is a Pom? Any history helpful.

I thought that about the vid as well since a defense would be he took it to return it to owner but they busted him at airport and he still had not returned it.

British/English according to Aussies.

Another thing that isn't clear is whether he saw/knew the owner or the bag was simply 'bait'.

8 hours ago, greenchair said:

That's not stealing. Someone left the bag there. Finders keepers Loses weepers. 

6 hours ago, Hawk said:

The police in Europe would simply not be interested in this case. If you leave your bag unattended then its your own fault if someone walks off with it. Anyway, before bashing this guy think about the thousands upon thousands of Thai thieves wandering around stealing 24/7. This guy got caught, so, but remember he would never have stolen it if the owner had not left it unattended.

It reminds me of a young German fellow I met.  He worked as a sheetrocker (Europeans might say a plasterer).  He said what Greenchair says, "if you find a tool unattended, it's ok to take it as yours."  I was surprised at that. I guess Europe has a different set of standards than, let's say, Americans.  To take something unattended is, to an American, stealing, plain and simple.  How does that apply to luggage at an airport or train/bus station, for example?   I think I'll give Europe a pass, next time I'm looking for a place to visit.

18 minutes ago, boomerangutang said:

It reminds me of a young German fellow I met.  He worked as a sheetrocker (Europeans might say a plasterer).  He said what Greenchair says, "if you find a tool unattended, it's ok to take it as yours."  I was surprised at that. I guess Europe has a different set of standards than, let's say, Americans.  To take something unattended is, to an American, stealing, plain and simple.  How does that apply to luggage at an airport or train/bus station, for example?   I think I'll give Europe a pass, next time I'm looking for a place to visit.

Well history shows men of white European origin took America while apparently "unattended". Stealing? Perhaps the Native Americans could have their stolen property returned.

14 hours ago, SOTIRIOS said:

...100,000 baht.....???

...hmmm......

...doubt very much someone would have left their bag unattended....

........................the cctv video clearly says otherwise......................................

5 hours ago, balo said:

The good news is that the thief will lose a few pounds in prison ,  eating noodle soup all day will teach him .

Unless he orders something more substantial of course, which he could do.  A common breakfast in jail is coffee and doughnuts, pizza can be sent in by someone outside the prison, specific Thai food, fried chicken etc can be ordered the previous night.  Thai jails aren't Belsen and standard prison food is not as insubstantial as those who don't know try to claim.

15 hours ago, Rob13 said:

No word on how they knew who he was? Facial recognition software seems a little advanced for LOS, I don't see another way though., unless there was a sign-in book and he was stupid enough to use his real name.

FYI ~ don't delude yourself into "believing" that surveillance technology in Thailand, is not on a par level with the west. Otherwise, an abrupt awakening awaits your next arrival/departure.

Edited by TuskegeeBen

18 hours ago, Inn Between said:

The person in the video clearly appears to steal. The only questions I have are:

1) Is the video evidence enough to make a unquestionable ID to convict?

2) How is the amount of 100,000 baht verified? And who leaves that much money unattended....anywhere in public?

3) Where is the picture with 8 cops standing behind the arrested person, the loot on display, and the victim  pointing at the perp? 

4) Why is the person's name being transcribed from Thai rather than just supplied to the media directly from his passport? 

1) If that's not enough evidence what else are you expecting to see? The camera footage was found way after the victims realized that they missed their stuff.

They wouldn't contact the monk from the temple if it wasn't something expensive. 

Enough time for the freak to make it to Bangkok. Hopefully some Bangkok Hilton time involved. 

2) Please look at the photo with the gold and amulets. One baht is already 23 K, so a necklace with three baht's almost 70 K worth. Do you think that the victims were lying? 

3) Google it, please. no need for pointing cops here. 

4) Maybe because the report was in Thai and the person who wrote the article didn't see the "gentleman"s" passport? 

5) If you were a Thai judge, wouldn't you say that he's guilty?  Enough evidence, don't you think?

Edited by lostinisaan

2 hours ago, gdgbb said:

Unless he orders something more substantial of course, which he could do.  A common breakfast in jail is coffee and doughnuts, pizza can be sent in by someone outside the prison, specific Thai food, fried chicken etc can be ordered the previous night.  Thai jails aren't Belsen and standard prison food is not as insubstantial as those who don't know try to claim.

" Common breakfast in a Thai jail isn't coffee and doughnuts. Don't they get their food from 5 star restaurants? He needs a rice diet, that's for sure. 

Edited by lostinisaan

On 02/09/2016 at 7:07 PM, MissAndry said:

What did the granny kickers in Hua Hin get? (suspended sentence?)

And the pickup driver who killed the Argentine cyclist? (500bht fine?)

Because this guy should get less than they did.

I mean why do some white folk hate other white folk so much and want them hung for trivial crimes?

News flash ........ nobody was harmed!

Because they bring shame on their own country and countrymen.

Possibly incomprehensible to locals that someone who spent a large amount of money to fly half way round the world is in poverty enough to steal.

4 hours ago, lostinisaan said:

1) If that's not enough evidence what else are you expecting to see? The camera footage was found way after the victims realized that they missed their stuff.

They wouldn't contact the monk from the temple if it wasn't something expensive. 

Enough time for the freak to make it to Bangkok. Hopefully some Bangkok Hilton time involved. 

2) Please look at the photo with the gold and amulets. One baht is already 23 K, so a necklace with three baht's almost 70 K worth. Do you think that the victims were lying? 

3) Google it, please. no need for pointing cops here. 

4) Maybe because the report was in Thai and the person who wrote the article didn't see the "gentleman"s" passport? 

5) If you were a Thai judge, wouldn't you say that he's guilty?  Enough evidence, don't you think?

LMAO    A little aggressive, aren't you? 

They were sincere questions -- wasn't questioning the validity. As I said, it seems clear the person stole. I was just mainly and generally wondering about the quality of video being good enough for positive ID and also wondered about the process of verifying what anybody claims they've lost in situations like this, etc.... 

And I Guess this may explain the lack of the photo op we always see. Once again, a real question about process. 

Anyway, you try to chill, dude.  Don't get too uptight today. 

Edited by Inn Between

4 hours ago, lostinisaan said:

" Common breakfast in a Thai jail isn't coffee and doughnuts. Don't they get their food from 5 star restaurants? He needs a rice diet, that's for sure. 

Oh I agree, didn't appear to be starving to death did he!

Just now, Boon Mee said:

Sting operation no doubt.

It's called cctv and a few witnesses where does it even mention  sting get real. Just for once and I know this will come very hard for a lot of you. The police have done a good job and for once deserve a bit of praise. But I for one won't hold my breath.

9 hours ago, boomerangutang said:

You really are making some incredibly sweeping generalised assumptions. 

A British person stole your motorbike some years ago - ergo all British people  are likely to be thieves!

A European you met once said it was acceptable to take a tool left unattended  - ergo Europe has different  ( by implication ) lower moral standards than America!

Edited by JAG

21 minutes ago, Deepinthailand said:

It's called cctv and a few witnesses where does it even mention  sting get real. Just for once and I know this will come very hard for a lot of you. The police have done a good job and for once deserve a bit of praise. But I for one won't hold my breath.

Missed the point.

This bag with all the valuables might well have been staged there to entrap that naive Farang with larcenous tendencies...:whistling:

4 minutes ago, Boon Mee said:

Missed the point.

This bag with all the valuables might well have been staged there to entrap that naive Farang with larcenous tendencies...:whistling:

by whom and for what reason ?  Ah ! to prove that the moon landings didn't happen

5 hours ago, TuskegeeBen said:

FYI ~ don't delude yourself into "believing" that surveillance technology in Thailand, is not on a par level with the west. Otherwise, an abrupt awakening awaits your next arrival/departure.

Are you saying they did use facial recognition to find him?

9 hours ago, JayBeeee said:

If being scum is all it takes to deserve imprisonment, there would be no politicians or lawyers anywhere to be found, and very few farrang on the streets of Pattaya!

Yeah, right, 'cause all the Thais in pattaya are such nice people. 

On 9/2/2016 at 7:00 PM, evadgib said:

Doesn't happen, although they will see the suspect if he's 'theirs'.

I'm curious as to how the authorities knew his ID and were able to stop him, given how often this usually goes undetected?

Maybe he had a tracking Sim prototype. 

6 hours ago, TuskegeeBen said:

Right. That's must be why they can catch criminals so quickly. No need for Burmese scapegoats when you have such advanced surveillance. 

Y do they always have to mention nationality in these stories?

in many more tolerant countries it's just a crime story

see my chest in my profile pic. I've been working out and it's pretty tight for my age, but I'm still dealing with some skin sag

Edited by fey

On 9/2/2016 at 6:00 PM, trogers said:

Must have overspent and desperate...

huh ?.... is that a excuse you are offering up ?  not the first time for this jack off . dude is a thief , been doing this all his life and will do it again .  a thief and a child molester have something in common .... they cannot stop . looking thru  rose tinted glasses he still is a low life scum bag . throw him and his first born in the slammer .........