Thai Theory Driving Tests

cauldlad

2 minutes ago, Kwasaki said:

My Oz mate passed easy enough but l remember him referring to a question with army tank in it and couple of others he got wrong which were the wrong answer in his opinion but we are talking a Thai organised exam. :D

I deleted my original post disagreeing with the "easy answered" :P

You have to swot, too many pitfalls, Q->A plain wrong.

And the parking rules (distances) have to be learned.

I recently passed both the written driving tests for car and motorcycle. 

I can confirm not all the tests are the same.

Many of the same questions appear, but no tests are identicle.

I trained with Like English Driving School and passed the written and driving course on my first try.  Out of 200 applicants only 20 of us passed that day.

I highly recommend taking a driving course.

Even the driving course looks easy, but it's different than you think if you are use to driving on the opposite side of the road.

There are trick questions in the test and it's much harder now than it use to be.

Don't any of you have valid driving licenses from your home countries? If you do, it's a simple matter of braking reaction and peripheral color tests; and of course the ever present Thai wait. While waiting, I went to the cafeteria area for coffee, the driving test area was there. I sat and watched as the would-be licensees started through the short course. In the first 50 feet, there was a Stop sign and a left turn. Not one, not one mind you, used the turn signal. Four out of maybe twenty did stop.

the 'computer' test comprises off 100 questions covering all licenses. 50 are randomly selected and you have to get 45 right.

some answers appear to be logically incorrect, do not line up with western thinking or the 'correct' answer is just plainly wrong.

when you fail the first time take your time and quiz the machine on where you got it wrong. my second set of questions was 90% of what i got asked the first time. the link posted above to a set of .pdf is good and valid.

also, wear your best glasses or take a magnifying glass. the photos/ drawings are pathetically small and some are completely out of focus. you just have to guess what's shown. as far as i know you can fail many times, if you muck up the morning test you can do another one in the afternoons. it is by far the most difficult part of the licence test, unless you are colour blind...

Edited by manfredtillmann
word ommission

10 minutes ago, manfredtillmann said:

some answers appear to be logically incorrect, do not line up with western thinking or the 'correct' answer is just plainly wrong.

very true...also watch out  for the same question asked again further down the list

I'm pretty sure  I had 2 or 3 repeat questions and it turns

out I had the answers to those questions wrong  so  in fact 4-6 wrong answers.

3 minutes ago, johng said:

very true...also watch out  for the same question asked again further down the list

I'm pretty sure  I had 2 or 3 repeat questions and it turns

out I had the answers to those questions wrong  so  in fact 4-6 wrong answers.

there seem to be 3 or 4 parking questions that appear identical - but have minor differences.

... which is an example of correct parking? that's were i effed up on my first effort.and as if anyone would give a hoot in this country!!!

Edited by manfredtillmann
addition

You will almost certainly fail the first one because as per above there are some "logically-correct" but incorrect answers - at the end you can go through the failed questions and the machine gives you the correct answer. Study these carefully then you can start again another 50 questions immediately. Two consecutive failures mean you have to return the next day, a third "go" on the same day is not permitted.

I just got finished taking the car and motorcycle driving test at Chatuchak.  I studied online, the 90 questions, that someone posted above.  During the movie, they gave us a book with questions about the signs and markings on the road.  I studying that instead of the movie which was a joke.  I took the car test and motorcycle test and there was only one question different but all were on the internet or the book they gave me.  I passed both with 50 of 50, both tests.  Very simple if you can memorize a few facts.  I would recommend you do the internet test of 90 questions until you can pass 85 everytime.  The motorcycle driving test was easy, I just watched where others went on the course before me.  Car driving test is not difficult. Three tests total, go forward through some sensor cones, pass the last cone with the rear of your vehicle, wait 3 secs, and reverse through the cones.  Stop with the front of your car past the last cone.  Wait for the GreenRed light to tell you if you passed or failed.  Proceed to the next test, parking on the left hand curb.  Sensors are about 5 meters long, get close to the curb before you get to the sensors and drift and stop before the stop sign. you have one meter to stop before. I failed this test because I went passed the stop sign my 2 centimeters, just the tip of the bumper passed.  Then one to the parallel parking. The space is fairly small.  I had only driven in Thailand 2 times before the test. Never tried parallel parking and I passed. you have 7 times you can pull forward and reverse. I can copy the instructions for the driving portion, they aren't that good but I can post tomorrow if anyone needs them.

If you fail, you only have to take the portion of the test you failed again. I went back and passed the second test with ease and now have both driver's license.  Whoohoo!! I am finally legal after driving a motorcycle in Thailand for two years. 

2 minutes ago, jtrump said:

I just got finished taking the car and motorcycle driving test at Chatuchak.  I studied online, the 90 questions, that someone posted above.  During the movie, they gave us a book with questions about the signs and markings on the road.  I studying that instead of the movie which was a joke.  I took the car test and motorcycle test and there was only one question different but all were on the internet or the book they gave me.  I passed both with 50 of 50, both tests.  Very simple if you can memorize a few facts.  I would recommend you do the internet test of 90 questions until you can pass 85 everytime.  The motorcycle driving test was easy, I just watched where others went on the course before me.  Car driving test is not difficult. Three tests total, go forward through some sensor cones, pass the last cone with the rear of your vehicle, wait 3 secs, and reverse through the cones.  Stop with the front of your car past the last cone.  Wait for the GreenRed light to tell you if you passed or failed.  Proceed to the next test, parking on the left hand curb.  Sensors are about 5 meters long, get close to the curb before you get to the sensors and drift and stop before the stop sign. you have one meter to stop before. I failed this test because I went passed the stop sign my 2 centimeters, just the tip of the bumper passed.  Then one to the parallel parking. The space is fairly small.  I had only driven in Thailand 2 times before the test. Never tried parallel parking and I passed. you have 7 times you can pull forward and reverse. I can copy the instructions for the driving portion, they aren't that good but I can post tomorrow if anyone needs them.

If you fail, you only have to take the portion of the test you failed again. I went back and passed the second test with ease and now have both driver's license.  Whoohoo!! I am finally legal after driving a motorcycle in Thailand for two years. 

see, mate, and that is why the very first thing you have to learn and remember about thailand is: that nothing is the same in two different places or two different days.

your 'test' could have happened in a different country for all its universally - thai validity.

you want to know how to pass your licence test in <where ever you are>, you go to the motor department of <where ever you are> and ask what's required.

On 9/5/2016 at 6:26 PM, manfredtillmann said:

see, mate, and that is why the very first thing you have to learn and remember about thailand is: that nothing is the same in two different places or two different days.

your 'test' could have happened in a different country for all its universally - thai validity.

you want to know how to pass your licence test in <where ever you are>, you go to the motor department of <where ever you are> and ask what's required.

I believe you are overestimating the people that work at the Land Offices ability to speak English. During the training, several times I tried to ask a question in English and even asked the question in Thai but no reply whatsoever.  2 out of  the 500 people that work there can actually convey a complete sentence in English.  I had Thai friends call there and speak in Thai and they gave little to no relavent information about the testing procedure. The reason why I went to Chatachak was because on the internet everyone said it as Farang friendly.  I could have went to Ayutthaya where I live and had the same results.

17 hours ago, jtrump said:

I believe you are overestimating the people that work at the Land Offices ability to speak English. During the training, several times I tried to ask a question in English and even asked the question in Thai but no reply whatsoever.  2 out of  the 500 people that work there can actually convey a complete sentence in English.  I had Thai friends call there and speak in Thai and they gave little to no relavent information about the testing procedure. The reason why I went to Chatachak was because on the internet everyone said it as Farang friendly.  I could have went to Ayutthaya where I live and had the same results.

you believe wrong, mate.

no one speaks a word of english up here where i am. my wife did the paper work for me at the ltd and everything else i guessed, imitated or knew.

it's not brain surgery, if you have passed the theory test in another country there is no reason why you can't pass it here, even if it takes 3 attempts.

• 4 months later...

hi guys

i recently came accross a website where you could take  a sample motorcycle licence theory test online, and it was inter active. I can no longer find it. if anyone  knows of it, please let me know.

I know about the specimen test featured on the site changmai buddies, but this is not as useful

On 9/14/2016 at 9:02 AM, manfredtillmann said:

you believe wrong, mate.

no one speaks a word of english up here where i am. my wife did the paper work for me at the ltd and everything else i guessed, imitated or knew.

it's not brain surgery, if you have passed the theory test in another country there is no reason why you can't pass it here, even if it takes 3 attempts.

I don't believe you understood my comments correctly.  Not once did I say I had a problem with the test.  I passed the first time with both the motorcycle and the car test having only driven a car with steering wheel on the right a few times.  My comments were about the English capability and knowledge of the people that worked there.